ocular compression

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

athomas989

ocular compression

Post by athomas989 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:25 am

Hi all!
Apollo had a very rough night - we havent had a night like this is awhile - but as we know there are many more good days then bad.
I have read on here a few times before about the ocular compression...can someone please explain this to me? Exactly how you do it as well? While he was having one of his seizures I did apply pressure to the side of his eye sockets (I guess about there) thinking that was where I should but I want to know exactly how to do it for the next time.
Thank you for all your help. :)
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

athomas989

Re: ocular compression

Post by athomas989 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:26 am

I am sorry I did not know realize I was in success stories when posted :(
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: ocular compression

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Apollo (and you) had such a rough time of it. One of the worst things about this disease is how it loves to show you over and over just how much in control it really is.
We use ocular compression on Jake a lot. You apply gentle pressure on the their closed eye lid for 5 seconds, then take the pressure off for five seconds and repeat five times. It can be tricky to do it during a seizure. I usually use my thumbs and if his eyes are wide open I gently move his lids down. You can practice on yourself to get the hang of putting pressure on a closed eye. It's hard to do anything gently during a seizure and it takes a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it. It releases GABA into their system and is supposed to calm them. It usually works very well for Jake, but there have been a few times over the years that it actually agitated him. Not much, just a little. When we notice that we stop.
Has Apollo ever had any heart issues or is he on any other meds? They recommend that if there are any heart problems not to do it because it can throw their heart rate off. I would check with your vet to be sure it's okay. We've never had a problem and Jake has a very faint heart murmur.
I hope this helps, and you get back the control you had.
Hugs to you and Apollo.
Lynne