Anniversary

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Gentle Jacob's mom

Anniversary

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:17 am

Hi Everybody,
I put this under successes because we just hit a milestone. On Sunday we started our 10th year of dealing with this horrible disease. On one hand it's so sad to think that Jake has been going through this for this long, but on the other, I really hope that it gives those of you just starting with this encouragement that even a refractory dog can make it this long. I honestly don't know how he does it, but I suspect it has something to do with him being extremely stubborn :) I also know without a doubt he wouldn't be here if it weren't for all of the wonderful people here. I've learned so much about his meds and how to give them from you. And I've learned how to keep my sanity (what I have of it!)
So here's to Jake and all of our puppies and the people who love them!!
Lynne

Eley's Mom

Re: Anniversary

Post by Eley's Mom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:57 am

Awesome!! 10 years seems so far away, but it's comforting to know that there are dogs that reach it!!
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Whoop whoop!!!! So happy to hear. While I have no doubt of Jake's stubborness, I suspect a large part of how well Jake has done is because you haven't given up on him and did everything to ensure that he would be celebrating 10 years later. You're a great mom Lynne and Jake couldn't have anyone who loves him more than you.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:50 am

Thank you :")

Apache

Post by Apache » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:45 am

Hi, Lynne,

Placing a 10 year battle with Epilepsy under "success stories" is exactly that,...a success! It is such a horrible and draining disease for both our beloved pets, and the owners, too. As we can all attest to.

I have known you, and have corresponded with you on many occasions for many years now. For starters, Jake is one determined (at times stubborn) sweetheart and he certainly has a will to survive. He has pushed through other ordeals along the way, too,...imagine that! He is tenacious to say the least!

That being said, though, he couldn't ask for better parents/caregivers. Both you, Lynne, and your husband have been a 'rock' to him in his times of need. Without both your encouragement, love and desire to see him through his frequent episodes, life for him may have not been as pleasant. My hats off to you, Lynne!

As Eley's Mom pointed out, "it's comforting to know that there are dogs out there that reach such a milestone". Keep the faith, folk's and never give up.

As usual Lynne, please give Jake a nice belly rub for me!

Brian

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Brian,
Thank you so much for your kind words. For those who don't know who Brian is, he had a precious dog named Apache who lost his battle with this stupid disease but had a family around him that inspired me to keep going. I consider him to be one of the reasons Jake is still here. There were many times early on when I didn't think I could stand another seizure and he and his family pushed on and so did we.
I wish more than I can say that were all celebrating our dogs making it this far.
Thank you Brian for coming back on to say hello.
Please take care, and give my best your family.
Jake loved the hug and belly rub and it was very much appreciated :)
Lynne

MaisieDog

Post by MaisieDog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Well done to you both, definitely a milestone to be proud of :D

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 am

Congratulations!!
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:51 am

Thank you everyone. It's so sweet of you to think of us! We wouldn't be here without you :)

Lynne