Gluten Free = Seizure Free for Almost 6 months now!!!!!!!!!!

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Margot Gordon

Gluten Free = Seizure Free for Almost 6 months now!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Margot Gordon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:51 pm

After being diagnosed with ideopathic epilepsy which started at 2 years of age, and having seizures regularly like clockwork (4 in 24 hours) every 2 months - I put my dog Spencer on a gluten free diet and the seizures have stopped. He has been seizure free for almost 6 months now. I am still weaning him off of the Potasium Bromine. He is now down to 2.5 ml a day. This is half of what he was taking before his seizures stopped. He had been having the seizures for over 2 years. He will be 5 in May.

I read in The Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter that often idiopathic epileptics will stop having seizures if they remove gluten from their diet. Advice intended for humans but I thought I might as well try it on my dog.

So far so good!
I'm thrilled! I hope this post helps your dogs.

Lovelight

Re: Gluten Free = Seizure Free for Almost 6 months now!!!!!!

Post by Lovelight » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:47 am

That is awesome- so happy to hear Spencer is doing well! It is nice to see such good news!
Every day they go without having them is a blessing and beautiful news. Beyond good news-it's miracles. Thanks for letting us know about gluten.

May you and Spencer continue along this path. :D

Marengo

Post by Marengo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:14 am

That's terrific to hear. Long may the great progress continue!

Beau never had gluten in his diet but he was on Taste of the Wild kibble (grain free) from puppyhood until when he had his first seizure last year. I immediately moved him on to a raw diet instead, as well as Pexion (epilepsy medication). His epilepsy progressed until he had clusters in January this year. However, he's now hopefully stabilised on phenobarbital and it's not a high dose either. Fingers crossed. I think that even if a raw diet doesn't turn out to be the total answer for Beau, it will allow him to stay on as low a dose as possible and for his liver to stay as healthy as possible if it's not having to remove additional toxins. :)

jazzy

Post by jazzy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:17 pm

Margot Gordon wrote:After being diagnosed with ideopathic epilepsy which started at 2 years of age, and having seizures regularly like clockwork (4 in 24 hours) every 2 months - I put my dog Spencer on a gluten free diet and the seizures have stopped. He has been seizure free for almost 6 months now. I am still weaning him off of the Potasium Bromine. He is now down to 2.5 ml a day. This is half of what he was taking before his seizures stopped. He had been having the seizures for over 2 years. He will be 5 in May.

I read in The Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter that often idiopathic epileptics will stop having seizures if they remove gluten from their diet. Advice intended for humans but I thought I might as well try it on my dog.

So far so good!
I'm thrilled! I hope this post helps your dogs.
I am pleased to hear what is obviously good news for you and Spencer. Can I ask what Breed he is?