Helping Tanner naturally

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Lenore

Helping Tanner naturally

Post by Lenore » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:38 am

Tanner who was born 11/11/11 is a high strung almost 5 year old German Shepherd. He started having seizures 9/24/2015, he had three very bad grand mal seizures 2 hrs apart. He didn't have another episode for 5 months. Since Feb of this year he has had 16 other episodes of 2 or more seizures. They run about 10-16 days apart. We are trying not to put him on the conventional drugs because of the problems they cause. We have found ice on the back + Nuroplex spray in his mouth during the seizure and honey after the seizure, helps shorten the duration and amount of seizures in an episode. But not enough. 50 days ago we changed Tanners food to Merrick classic real beef + green pea recipe with ancient grains. We top his food with 85% lean hamburger. He was on Abady. An epileptic dog needs fat and grain for their brain. We had started giving him Epi plus back in April 2016 we increased that to 10 pills a day. He gets a tablespoon of honey every day. He is given 18 drops of Holistic Animal care calm and relax remedy in the morning and 1 Canna pet advanced capsule twice a day. At night he is given Petalive Easure drops before bedtime. He gets 1 squirt a day of Pure Paw Pure Alaskan Salmon Oil. He also gets one scoop of Nupro dog supplement every day. Tanner has now gone 45 days without a seizure. :D The things we did different were Nupro, Canna Pet, Changed his food and the calm and relax drops, everything else (Epi plus, Easure, Salmon oil, honey, Nuroplex) we had been doing since April 2016. My husband and I believe the Canna pet hemp product, is the biggest reason Tanner has now gone so long without an episode but we are not sure and are unwilling to change anything to try and find out. I hope this can help other moms and dads help their epileptic dog.

Lenore

Re: Helping Tanner naturally

Post by Lenore » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:32 am

Tanner had a seizure on day # 47. It was one small seizure. He had another seizure 14 days later, another small one. The day before each of those seizures I had washed the floor with swiffer wet mop. We are now on day # 32 without a seizure. Keeping our fingers crossed.

teenujohn

Post by teenujohn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:35 am

Thanks for sharing your valuable life experience. While reading this type of experience we get some extra energy to accept any risks in life. Please share your experience with essay writing service reviews that will be a great lesson in life.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Sorry to hear about Tanners seizure. Hope that your next success will be even longer!!!!
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Tanner went 36 days and then had a small seizure. The cause of that seizure was getting the wood stove going the first time this year. The smell was excessive and he had a seizure the next day. I am learning what his triggers are. Things are looking good again. As long as we stick to the things I listed above he does well. I can smell when he is going to have a seizure, he gives off a peanut like smell a few days before. His brother Gunner also starts licking his face a day or two before a seizure.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 pm

That's amazing that you can tell that Tanner's going to have a seizure and can pinpoint triggers! Do you have a protocol that you start to hopefully ward them off?
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:11 pm

I have not found any way to stop one once the signs begin. We have been able to lesson the seizure with ice and nuroplex during it. We eliminate triggers as we find them. We do not use the wood stove anymore. We do not use swiffer wet mop. We have changed the smoke detectors from beeping to talking ones. When we discover a trigger we eliminate it.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 am

You may want to try Ocular Compression when you think a seizure is coming on. You can practice on yourself for the right amount of pressure. Plus, if you haven't already tried, walk Tanner around a little bit. Sometimes just getting into a regular routine will help. Then offer a favorite treat or vanilla ice cream. We've stopped several (not nearly enough), over the years doing any one or all of these things. There's also pressure points on the top of the head, between the ears, and on their lower back, above their tails. Feel around for an indentation. They're about the size of a thumb. When you find them, massage the area and relax. It does have an effect if you're tense. We've done this many times with Ocular Compression and at the very least it helps to calm him during a seizure, but we've also stopped seizures in their tracks. If your vet is holistic, they can tell you even more about Acupressure.
We get very few signals. Sometimes Jake is very clingy, sometimes he's just too alert, and sometimes his anal gland will express. That's kind of hard to miss that one :)

I hope this helps.
Lynne

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:22 am

We do have a holistic vet for Tanner. We tried acupuncture. It didn't help him. We try massage but it seems we can only hold off a seizure for a day or two. We do give him vanilla ice cream when we see the signs. The vet says sometimes the short quick seizure Tanner has been having since we started the system we have him on are called cleansing seizures. We have got Tanner down from a 3 seizure episode every 11 days to a 1 seizure episode about every 30 days. We will keep trying to get it down even further. Thanks for the new ideas.

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 am

Tanner has gone 38 days without a seizure. These are the triggers I have found so far. Swiffer wet mops, Turkey, Chicken and chicken livers and hearts. Beeping sounds (examples: smoke alarms, door open alarm on fridge), wood stove. Dog ice cream, sweet potato.

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 am

Tanner is now on day # 45 without a seizure. The only things Tanner is fed is Merrick real beef with ancient grains. Milkbones dog cookies, honey 1 tablespoon a day and 1 tablespoon breyers vanilla ice cream. We put the calm and relax drops in the ice cream and the canna pet pills in the honey. I am wondering if canna pet has helped anyone else on this forum.

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 am

:D :mrgreen: We passed a milestone this morning. Tanner has gone past 47 days without a seizure. It was touch and go a few times during that time period. We saw some of the warning signs. IE: his brother licking his face and some whining, but he was able to fight it off. Don't get me wrong we know that someday we may have to put him on the conventional drugs but hopefully we can put it off until he is older. That is our main goal. We do expect him to have what are called cleansing seizures due to him having epilepsy, but, The holistic vet said if we can get him past one month between seizures he will not have to be put on drugs that can hurt him and eventually not help very much after he is on them for a while. It took almost a year of keeping a diary and trying every natural remedy under the sun to find this regimen that works for him. I will keep you all posted. Oh happy day. :D

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:29 am

I will repeat the regimen Tanner is on for those interested in trying it. Please talk with your vet first.

Tanner gets no other food except what is listed below. He also only drinks filtered water.

The regimen:
Merrick Classic real beef + green pea recipe with ancient grain dry dog foods.

Cooked 85% lean hamburger.

Milkbone dog cookies.

Pure Paw Pure Alaskan Salmon Oil (amount depends on size of dog).​

Nupro dog supplement (amount depends on size of dog).​​​

1 tablespoon honey (depending on size of dog, Tanner weighs 105LBS).

Holistic Animal care calm and relax remedy drops,(amount depends on size of dog).

2 Canna pet advanced capsule, one morning + one at night (amount depends on size of dog).

Petalive Easure drops, (amount depends on size of dog).

Epi plus 1 pill per 10 lbs.

breyers ice cream (amount depends on size of dog).

I will keep you posted on Tanner's development.
​
​​
​​

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Tanner is 53 days seizure free. Here are things that trigger his seizures.
Turkey, Chicken, chicken liver and hearts, dog ice cream, sweet potato, smoke alarms chirping and alarm, door open alarm on fridge, swiffer wet mop, wood stove. We use the thunder vest when we know it is going to thunder and that helps a lot.
I am not sure if this has been any help to any other people with epileptic dogs but I hope so.

Lenore

Post by Lenore » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:34 am

Tanner is now 8 weeks seizure free. Fingers crossed as always. We had to give him his heartworm pill last night. We won't know for a few days if it will trigger a seizure. We give him the one that is recommended for epileptic dogs (interceptor plus). But as all of you know, you never know.