CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4 Month Old Great Dane Puppy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:32 am 

New to forum and stumbled on to this site after using the internet for answers to why our 4 month old Great Dane puppy has suddenly started having seizures.

Logan is 4 months old and has shown no signs of illness or anything up until this weekend on Saturday night with his first seizure at 3am that scared the wife and I to death. At first, I was thinking it was low blood sugar since he's a puppy and we had a lot of people over on Saturday, I know he didn't eat as much as normal. Then I thought maybe it was a tick borne illness, since I took him out to some farm land the week before and even on tick prevention we found two more ticks hiding on my Friday night.

The vet sent off for some blood work and did a 4DX Snap Test to check for tick borne diseases, which came back negative. She also prescribed us 100mg capsules of Zonisamide. The bloodwork report wont come back until today or tomorrow, but since then here is the break down of his seizures.

First - 4/2 @ 3am (Assuming Grand Mal with drooling/foaming, legs locked up and paddling, urinated, teeth chomping, temp blindness) it lasted a little over minute.
Second - 4/2 @ 5am (Milder than the first, lots of drooling and chomping, dazed afterwards)
Third - 4/2 @ 4pm (Still not as bas as the first but a grand mal)
Right after the 3rd I found a pharmacy on Sunday that had Zonisamide for $35 vs. $200 and he got his first pill at 5pm
Fourth - 4/2 @ 9pm (5 Hours after meds and it was a pretty bad one, with temporary blindness lasting about 3 minutes)
Fifth - 4/5 @ 1:45 am (I think this was less severe, but the temporary blindness had him scared and trying to bash through the walls of his crate) Temp blindness seemed to last 5 min.

That's what I have so far, I have no idea why it's started happening. It's pretty hard to watch and I can't imagine if he was full size at 150lbs and it worries having two smaller children 7 and 4.

Has anyone had good luck with Zonisamide? After his first dose at 5pm I was really surprised to see him have an episode 4 hours later.

Post subject: Re: 4 Month Old Great Dane Puppy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:42 am 

As far as finding a cause, if it is idiopathic epilepsy there usually aren't triggers. I'm sure you're already watching him like a hawk so if you notice anything make a note of it. It's very easy to forget something that happened before a seizure by the time you talk to your vet.
Have you spoken to your vet today to see what she wants to do? Has she given you rectal Valium to control the seizures. I know this is very early on, but 5 seizures in less than 2 days is a lot.
Several people here use Zonisamide for their dogs and it works well. But every dog is different, so it can be a guessing game until you find the right medication. It does take time for the medications to work. If Logan has any more today I would take him to an emergency hospital. You don't want him going into status.
I hope things are better.
Let us know how you're doing.

Lynne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm 

I called today but the Vet I saw was not in and the bloodwork has not come back yet. So far today, he has not had a seizure and I'm hoping since he takes zonisamide every 12 hours and he's had 2 doses now it's starting to help out. He'll get another dose at 6pm.

Will bloodwork really tell us much, unless there is a toxin in his system? We've really been thinking hard about all the things that could lead to seizures and some things out of the norm for us were.

1. Saturday, my wife had a party in the morning so Logan was in the backyard longer than normal, approximately 2-3 hours. We moved some mums, that were starting to come back from being dead in the fall, to our back porch. While they were mostly dead he did get into one and tear it up. I didn't know they were bad for dogs.

2. Also, there were kids 7 and under in and out of the backyard playing on our swing set and with Logan. Maybe he did get hit in the head by someone swinging. I don't think he did or our girls would have mentioned, but he wasn't watched like a hawk then so can't rule it out.

3. We've been repainting the interior of our kitchen, bathroom, and living room. I don't think he got into any paint or we would have known about it and we were keeping an eye on him, but being a puppy and he's constantly going room to room, I'm not gonna rule it out.

4. Changed his food a month ago, and he's done great on it. I think if it was food we would have known before hand.

We are kind of at a loss really until bloodwork. I'm going to inquire abut an MRI cost when I talk to the Vet tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:14 am 

Here are his results which the vet is saying he as idiopathic epilepsy. She said Phosphorus was high, but that was normal for a growing large breed puppy.

Any opinions welcomed. Since I posted he's only had one additional seizure and he hasn't had any the last 36 hours, while 3 days into his zonisamide prescription.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 pm 

Hi Richard,

I'm so sorry you and your dog are going through this. I think it's probably the most frustrating disease to deal with because there are so many variables and watching your dog seize is horrible. Plus you're constantly on the look out for the next one because more than likely you don't know when it will come. However, because each dog is so different there's always the hope that you'll find the thing that works for you. I wasn't that fortunate with Shiloh, however, I have two friends who have dogs with seizures that are well managed with medications and rarely have seizures.

There are a lot of things that can cause seizures in dogs and it can be really difficult to figure it out sometimes. There are plants that are toxic to dogs, like bulbs, tomato plants (not tomatoes, just the plant), etc. Also foods that you might not think, grapes, apple seeds, onions, xylitol, etc. Has your lawn been treated recently? Flea/tick meds? Some dogs have issues with Rosemary which can be found in most dog foods. Some dogs can seizure with lighting, one member here has a dog that has seizures in the car at night from the passing lights.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

Last seizure: 06/27/16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 am 

I think it's normal to look for a why, you want to know what caused this. Or at least I did. You should have heard my call to the vet telling them that his vaccinations caused a seizure. Then my break down that my emotions caused it. The reality is that I will just never get an answer to why.

My guy is about two and a half, he's had seizures for just over a year. It really has it's ups and downs. We haven't yet got to a point where we are managing things and in a set routine. It was first that he was growing and we just didn't seem to be increasing the doses fast enough. Then I changed neurologists because I was unhappy with his care at the place we were at. (Instead of driving 10 minutes for appointments I now drive 30.) But we have finally gotten closer to managing it then ever before. And the good news is that Deacon is still here with me, we are giving him the best life we can. And he and my little nieces are the best of friends to this day.

I come here as much as I can because while I'm giving my dog support it's nice to talk to people who know what you're feeling and what this experience is like. You have to remember to take care of yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 pm 

Did your vet check for liver shunts? I know in small pups that seize that is one of the first things they check.

Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 am 

MK's mom wrote:
Did your vet check for liver shunts? I know in small pups that seize that is one of the first things they check.

No, they didn't check for liver shunts? I'll have to look that up.

It's now April 21st and Logan hasn't had another seizure. He's on Zonisamide but I have been half dosing him every 12 hours since the 3rd day he started taking it. I'll probably get another opinion, I really feel like these were a result of something that happened that weekend since it was a very busy a-typical weekend for us, lots of people/kids at house, painting, cleaning, etc. Maybe he got into something, maybe one of the little kids hit him in the head swinging on the swing set and we didn't see it. Just seems like it could easily be something like that.

Maybe I'm wrong but to be so sudden with 5 seizures in one weekend and to not have anymore within the next 20 days seems odd to me, but what do I know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am 

Shiloh was incredibly unpredictable. He would have horrible clusters over a 3 - 4 day period then nothing from a week to two months. I never was able to find any kind of pattern and I tried, even looking at weather temps, full moons, seasons, etc. Hoping that Logan continues on his success.

Last seizure: 06/27/16