CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Our worst nightmare
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 pm 

Well for those of you who remember me and my Lola she is doing somewhat better, she did have a seizure last night but she's down to about 3 a month which is a win. Unfortunately the accidental litter she had, all the pups have epilepsy and one has been put down. Now tonight I was outside with my male his name is El Chapo and is my show dog, he is also Lola's brother, he sadly had his first seizure tonight. He has been throwing up and very lethargic all day but now he's feeling better. I'm at a loss. Any words of encouragement or advice is greatly needed.

Post subject: Re: Our worst nightmare
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:27 am 

THat's terrible, I'm so sorry.

Did the breeder know there was epilepsy in the lines when Lola's mother/father was bred? This sort of thing infuriates me!! If breeders don't know that is one thing, but if they do know there's an issue and uses seizing dogs in their breeding program that is unexcuseable. Have you informed the breeder about the seizing?

I'm so sorry for the loss of that litter, those little puppies didn't deserve what they got. I'm also so sorry about El Chapo and his brother. I have no words of encouragement, all you can do is try to keep the seizures under control and tell other people who might have dogs out of that line not to use them for breeding purposes. If you're showing, tell everyone. I know the backlash in the show world when it comes to epilepsy because i have been there, but the only ones who are truly hurt by closed mouths are the dogs.

Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:35 am 

I'm so sorry about the puppies, and that you've lost one, and Lola's brother is now seizing. That is heartbreaking.
I'm with Vivian 100%. Get the word out about your dogs and let the breeder know what's happening and find out if they're still breeding Lola's parents and litter mates. They aren't always honest about that so you may have to do some investigating on your own. Most breeders have websites now, so you can follow the lineage. People here from CEN have contacted me about Jake's lineage. I even heard from someone from South Africa that turned out to be third generation out from Jake and the puppies all had seizures. It was through her that I found out where the dog came from that started Jake's nightmare. So if they're still breeding them get the word out.
A couple of years ago I also called out Jake's breeder on Yelp after I found out they'd lied about dogs they'd bred having epilepsy. It may not seem like a lot but at least there's a chance that someone who is considering buying a puppy will do their homework and will hopefully start decreasing the number of innocent dogs going through this.
I wish there was something to make your situation better, but I think you're already doing everything for the puppies. I do hope beyond words that the rest of the litter will have control of their seizures.

Take Care,
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:48 pm 

Thank you for your kind words. Chop is doing much better today, he's being his normal self. The breeder wants nothing to do with this situation, changes the subject and tells us that no other litter mates have seizures. Lola has been seizing since 10 months old, she has uncontrolled epilepsy she is on PB, keppra, and Kbrovet. The Cocktail of drugs has stopped her clustering as I've posted before Lola would have 6-8 seizures in an hours time, she would just come out of one and go right into another sadly she has mild brain damage from that. I just can't imagine going through this with Chop too. I have an out of state vet that we make trips to for some treatment for Lola and he asked me if there is any inbreeding in their family tree and the breeder calls it inline breeding, says if you breed dad to daughter it gives you the best blood line. The vet said he can twist it any way he wants that it's still inbreeding. So I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:25 am 

I used to show my dogs, too, and I know that the good breeders who really want to better the breed will take an interest when there's a health issue and try to breed away from those issues in future breedings. The bad breeders ignore and usually blame the dog owner for the epilepsy..that happened to me with my MK. If you're going to shows, the only thing you can do is speak up..don't worry about the backlash you'll get from the show people because all most of them care about is the glory they get from their dogs' championships. Breeders need to sell their puppies and if people get to know there are health issues no one will buy them. My heart goes out to the dogs, they're the ones that are stuck in the bodies that aren't functioning right and far too many of them lose their lives because of it...mine was one. I get so fired up over this, I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around any breeder who cares so little about the suffering of their puppies and what it does to the owners who have to care for them.

That was just a rant, but in short all I can advise you is to NOT keep mum about this, let people know what is going on because your breeder is not a good breeder and needs to be outted for this.

Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:10 am 

I couldn't agree more with that. Vivian knows first hand how these innocent dogs suffer because of unscrupulous breeders. She and MK went through hell.
To anyone reading this, don't be afraid to speak up. I was so nervous to say anything but once I did I couldn't shut up. Any respectable breeder will stop breeding any dog that has seizures and they're the only ones that deserve to sell their puppies.
When I notified Jake's breeder that he was diagnosed, they said the exact same thing to me that yours said to you. That none of their other dogs had had seizures. Then I found all of the other people who'd heard the same thing. From what I understand that's what the breeders say that really don't care. They may also mention that they're dogs are champions and go on and on about how many shows they've won, and how healthy their lines are, so there would be no way for seizures to be a problem. Bull!

How dare the breeder say it's inline breeding!

But I really like your vet. It sounds like he has your back. I'm glad you found him.

Vivian, that wasn't ranting. That was getting very important information out for everyone here. Thank you.

Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 am 

Wow, this makes me so angry, I'm at a loss for words and my heart hurts for you. It was hard enough to have one dog who seized but can't imagine how devastated you are having multiples. Bless your heart. Totally agree with Vivian and Lynne about making sure other people are aware of what this breeder is doing and hopefully put her out of business. Social media is a powerful tool. I wish I had magic words for you that would make this better, I do wish you all the best. Hope that Lola will do even better with her meds and the El Chapo won't have another seizure.

Last seizure: 06/27/16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:07 pm 

I just thought of something that might help a little. Have you thought of setting up a Go Fund Me page to help with the expenses for the dogs and puppies? At least that would be some kind of relief for you.

Lynne