CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: vacation
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm 

Does anyone else even think about MAYBE having a short three day vacation this summer? It has been so long since we got away, it would be nice. But we cannot find anyone to watch a seizure dog. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: vacation
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:48 am 

We take a vacation every year. You have to take care of yourself too. It can be more complicated but we still have a lot of fun. Does your dog like riding in the car? If that's possible take your dog with you.
We have Jake and and our other dog and have taken them with us every year. Before Jake we would always have someone come to the house to care for our dogs or leave them at a doggie daycare, but I've found that I relax completely when they're with us. There are many pet friendly hotels, and they're very nice. We go to the beach off season every year. You can make sure there is a good vet nearby in case there is a problem, and contact them to let them know that you're going to be in the area. Also give your vet the information so that if there would be an emergency everyone is onboard. We always carry Jake's seizure meds in a doggie backpack and have them with us at all times. When we go out for dinner we leave the dogs in the car and then check to make sure Jake's okay. They think our Suv is their traveling dog house anyway. It pretty much is.
It is different, but we have so much fun having them with us that now, even if Jake didn't have epilepsy, we'd still take them with us. I didn't realize how much I wasn't relaxing on vacations until I finally was.
I know it limits what you can do, but you can go to the beach, or the mountains and find a nice place to stay. We do limit how far away we go, usually no more than 5-6 hours because Jake usually has a seizure at some point while we're there. But we treat it as we do at home and then he spends the day under the umbrella at the beach and he loves it. Honestly I think it helps his recovery.

I hope this helps.
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:52 pm 

I took vacations when my epilepsy pup was still around. I had a very good friend who loved him and so he would take care of him while we were gone. Towards the end our vet tech was watching him. It does present more challenges but there is still a way to have a vacation and relax.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:47 pm 

We will take him to the beach with us, but I need to go to Canada for 2 days. My normal pet sitter used to watch him, but now that he urinates with a seizure, she doesn't want to have him.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:09 am 

If it's feasible to take your beloved pet with you then I would do so, it might give him a nice vacation getaway too :)

However, I've found that finding a trustworthy friend or family member to take care of my dog for a few days has helped immensely in my time of need. I'm sure you will figure it out!

3 great sites to watch hd sex videos

Last edited by marshalldee3 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:38 am 

Hi Anngt,

We usually go camping on our holidays, a couple of times per year, and our dogs have always been key members of our journey.

Spencer travels well and camps well, but we take our epi-travel pack/emergency kit with us and I research the local vets in the areas that we will be travelling through/to, and we are more vigilant of the environment and his care whilst away. On occasions Spencer fits whilst travelling but we manage it much like we do at home – no big deal (just frustrating and annoying).

We have recently gone overseas for 6 weeks which meant leaving Spencer behind. Fortunately I have a friend who is an experienced dog owner (currently in between dogs) and she is a nurse. She has known Spencer (and his 7 year epilepsy history) since his puppy homecoming – but she has never dealt with or even seen him fit. We were lucky to have her, she was apprehensive. We were comfortable, she was anxious. We were absolutely blessed.

But for whomever you might find to care for your epi-dog, we prepared more to help both our dog sitter and Spencer.

We spent an afternoon preparing - I talked our sitter through Spencer’s usual life, his usual fits and our usual treatment plan (sounds easy here but we spoke in detail), and we helped her with ideas to ‘fit-safe’ her house. Anxiety lessened.

I prepared a detailed printed proforma of Spencer’s day to day feeding and medication regimen.
I prepared a detailed, step by step, emergency medication plan – on laminated cards. This included as a last step our vet’s phone number.
I advised my vet that we would be away and a friend would be caring for Spencer and to perhaps expect a call. We optimised Spencer’s health before travelling.
I provided enough medication (and further prescriptions), usual food and usual snacks to cover the duration. We supplied his favourite bedding, coat and toys (we provided everything Spencer). And I put some money up front to cover any hospital visits.

Part of the sitting plan was that my friend would be unavailable for a couple of weekends and that her parents would take and care for Spencer.

Yes, Spencer fitted with our sitter, and with her parents. He went on to a cluster which necessitated a call to the vet who encouraged them to stick with the plan and the cluster should break – it did break and all was well. The sitter and the parents followed the detailed emergency plan, just as I would have and it went well.

We had a much needed relaxing holiday. Spencer had a holiday and was well pampered. My sitters were, at the end, not too stressed and were suitably compensated for their invaluable assistance to us.

The long and the short of this is hopefully to encourage you that it can be done. It took some detailed planning and conversations but it was worth it.

I hope you are able to find someone who is able to assist you. If so, enjoy your holiday and relax. Good luck.

Regards,
Trevor & Spencer
Grateful for the good days, weeks (months).