New to forum...questions on Keppra & leaving dog alone

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

dsn3a

New to forum...questions on Keppra & leaving dog alone

Post by dsn3a » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi all,

I recently found this site, and I'm glad to know I'm not alone in dealing with this scary and difficult disease.

My dog Bronco is a 2 yr old Boston Terrier. He started having seizures about 7 months ago. He is now on Keppra, Pb, and Zonisamide. My questions are...

1.) I've read about a "honeymoon" effect with Keppra ER. My dog's dosage has been increased from 250mg to 750mg twice a day in 6 months...should I expect this to continue?

2.) I leave my dog alone home for about 10 hrs a day. I watch him with a webcam on my phone. Any general advice from others that are in my situation?

Thanks,
DS in Austin

SpencerBhumi

Re: New to forum...questions on Keppra & leaving dog alone

Post by SpencerBhumi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi DS,

Sorry you are here, but welcome to the forum. I have gained much support and good advice here – I hope you will also.

Spencer finished his days on Pheno & KBrom. We tried Keppra but in Australia we do not have XR so we were stuck with 8 hourly dosing of regular Keppra. This was Keppra’s downfall in maintaining Spencer on it. I’m not sure that we saw a honeymoon period rather than our inability to administer it effectively.
We did however use it as a cluster breaking pulse dose over 3 days – a bolus load followed by 3 days’ worth. If given ASAP after the first fit it would invariably limit Spencer’s fit to only one per episode. In this case Keppra was effective and we did not have the opportunity for a honeymoon period.

We did trial Zonisamide but found it not-at-all-ever-effective and way too expensive so weaned it within 6 months. (It was way too expensive even if it did work).

We would often need to leave Spencer unattended for long hours. In good weather we left him in the yard. Otherwise he was left inside. Both the yard and that space he was permitted inside were ‘fit safed/post-ictal safed’. Then we left him to the grace of God. The greatest issues were bitten tongues during a fit (and bitten ears by his mother during his post-ictal stuperous wanderings) …and incontinence.

My thoughts go out to you and Bronco and I will keep you in my prayers.

Regards,
Trevor.
In memory of Spencer (7-12-2005 – 22-8-2017)

dsn3a

Post by dsn3a » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks Trevor,

I have found the Keppra is good to limit/bust Bronco's cluster seizure as well. I'm trying to start him on a new food by Purina that is supposedly helps with seizure frequency.

I hate leaving him while I'm at work, luckily I live only 20 mins away so I can go to him when I see on webcam that he's having an episode.
===============
DS from Austin
Papa to a Boston Terrier
First Seizure May 2017
Meds: Keppra ER, Phenobarb, Zonisamide

dsn3a

Post by dsn3a » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I am having my dog neutered. He is 2 yrs old. Does anyone have experience with their dogs improving with seizures due to having this done?
===============
DS from Austin
Papa to a Boston Terrier
First Seizure May 2017
Meds: Keppra ER, Phenobarb, Zonisamide

martintaylorjohnson

Post by martintaylorjohnson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:16 pm

dsn3a wrote:Hi all,

I recently found this site, and I'm glad to know I'm not alone in dealing with this scary and difficult disease.

My dog Bronco is a 2 yr old Boston Terrier. He started having seizures about 7 months ago. He is now on Keppra, Pb, and Zonisamide. My questions are...

1.) I've read about a "honeymoon" effect with Keppra ER. My dog's dosage has been increased from 250mg to 750mg twice a day in 6 months...should I expect this to continue?

2.) I leave my dog alone home for about 10 hrs a day. I watch him with a webcam on my phone. Any general advice from others that are in my situation?

Thanks,
DS in Austin
What is your last situation ?

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi DS.

We did not use a special diet but we kept a strict diet, including strict snacks. I could never confirm that shop treats caused fits but I was highly suspicious so Spencer had a small variety of snacks (the most being home cooked biscuits). We used a high quality dry food for meals. I was strict for both food control and for weight regulation (and salt regulation for the KBrom).

I had very strong coincidental evidence that too much of his own food (and any of the cat's food) increased his seizure activity. Yes, he was known for stealing any food he could get. Most events were my neglect but he was a cunning & resourceful food thief, often getting into the cat's supply or ripping into his own bag.

I hope you have success with your new diet.

Spencer was desexed as a young puppy and developed epilepsy at 4.5 years old.

Regards,
Trevor.