Seizures more Intense

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

jaragr

Seizures more Intense

Post by jaragr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 am

Our dog has a grand mal seizure about every 13 weeks. Usually they occur in the middle of the night when he is sound asleep. From the time it begins, until he is on his feet stumbling around, it's around 6 minutes. The last 2 times, he had a seizure, then about 6 hours later he had another one. This happened a week ago, and the 2nd one was more intense than the first. The paddling was harder, and he looked as though he was eating the carpet. We hold an ice bag on his back the whole time, and since he is 14 and can't hear much, we don't talk to him during the episodes like we used to. I honestly cannot bear to watch it, and he is SO confused for several hours. This last time he was walking into things, and in to corners. It was different than usual, took a long time to get back to normal. Will this get worse? What does this to to his quality of life? The seizure itself may not be painful for him, but the recovery sure is hard on him.

xxcesarxx

Re: Seizures more Intense

Post by xxcesarxx » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 pm

He has cluster seizures, they are life threatening. is he on meds yet? If he is not, he will only get worse. They need to be under control asap.

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 am

He is NOT on meds as they are 3 months apart so far. I have read that vets don't medicate if it doesn't happen more than once a month. He is 14! Hate to put him on drugs. I don't know what to do. Wonder if the meds would make him feel worse than he already does.

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 am

Because of his age you may want to look into CBD oil. There are many many brands so I would talk to your vet to get their input about which one would be best. Or you may want to look into rectal Valium to break the clusters. I don't think they have to be on a primary anti seizure drug to use it. That would be another thing to talk to your vet about. He'll still be a little groggy for a day but it's better than him going into status and it could very well keep more than one seizure from happening.

Take Care,
Lynne

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 am

CBD oil is something you get from the vet? This time he went 10 weeks instead of 13. Last night was pretty intense, and took awhile before he could walk without falling down. His back legs are weak anyway. Ugh, it's a hard thing to deal with. Then you can't sleep because you're expecting the 2nd one. He had not been thru a 2nd one by the time I left for work, so it had been 8 hours by then.

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am

I may have to take back my suggestion of CBD oil. I had a talk with our vet yesterday and the results on CBD oil for dogs is all over the map because there are so many brands flooding the market and no one is overseeing it to make sure that what is being sold even has CBD oil in it. There are two brands that have just been approved for human use and it's going to take awhile for it to be approved for use with dogs. Our vet actually did a trial on CBD oil and the results were so mixed. A few dogs responded okay, some not at all.
I do think you should talk to your vet and if they don't know about it you could to get a second opinion. But in the meantime I really would look into rectal Valium, especially since he didn't make it as long between seizures. You don't want those seizures to get out of control. It's very hard to backtrack. Our vet is having good results with her dog with the Purina dog food for seizures so you may want to try that too. She's completely weaned him off from meds.
I know it's so hard to see them go through it and keep your stress level down and not worrying yourself sick that they will have another seizure. Just try to concentrate on the seizure free days as much as you can. You'd have to be made of stone not to be upset and worried when they seize.
Take Care,
Lynne

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:54 pm

We are actually meeting with our vet tomorrow. I was just reading about the CBD oil and was wondering how you know which to get! Thought I would check here for more info - thank you!! I didn't know there was a dog food for seizures. We feed him Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind. I am assuming the food your vet uses is prescription?? The CBD oil sounds great if it does what it says - even relieving arthritic pain. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Thanks again Lynne for the help!