New to seizures - not even sure if it's epilepsy

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Luckyk26

New to seizures - not even sure if it's epilepsy

Post by Luckyk26 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 am

I adopted an 80 lb boxer/pit mix in May of this year (we have been told be different people that he is somewhere between 4-9 years old). He was happy and full of personality. He was the sweetest and most amusing dog I've ever seen. On 9/8/18 he has his first seizure (I knew immediately because I had a foster dog with seizures, unfortunately she didn't make it). He had 2 and we took him to the emergency vet in the middle of the night. They did all kinds of testing and everything came back normal. They sent him home with Keppra - 1000mg 2x a day. He was unsteady as he got used to the meds, but eventually returned to normal. He has another episode of partial seizures on 9/20. They lasted all day. The vet upped his Keppra to 1500 2x a day and recommended CBD. He was perfect until 10/20. I was keeping a log and noticed that I give him heartworm meds on the 16th of every month and he had seizures on the 20th. I thought maybe that was the cause. He just had another one yesterday (the 4th), but thankfully only one. However, he seems to be completely miserable. He started with a slight limp in his back leg which he will no longer put pressure on. He won't go for walks and when he does walk around his tail is between his legs. Sometimes he will pace all night long. He is now relieving himself in the house. He sleeps constantly, doesn't play anymore and is now starting to growl if we sit too close to him sometimes. He is also reverse sneezing and coughing up hard bits of stuff. I know the Keppra causes side effects like depression and lethargy, but its been 2 months - I'm thinking that he should be used to it by now. I also believe that he has lost a good amount of weight despite eating and drinking normally - I can see his shoulder bones and is hip bones and it looks like skin is just hanging off of him. He has a vet appointment tonight and I think this may be the end. I thought maybe if I posted someone could give me some good news, or at least offer their opinion. I hate to feel like I'm giving up on him, but I hate to watch him suffer too.

jaragr

Re: New to seizures - not even sure if it's epilepsy

Post by jaragr » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:33 am

Wow I am so sorry for you and your dog. Is it possible he hurt his leg during the last seizure? We have to pull our dog out from under the bed or whatever so he doesn't break his leg while paddling. Your baby sounds pitiful. Four-nine years old? Surely somebody can be more specific? I personally would take him to a different vet. Sounds like he is in a medicated fog. That's a huge problem for me - oh this isn't working so lets try this, and they just keep increasing the dose. I'd get a second opinion before I put him to sleep. So sorry for both of you.

Luckyk26

Post by Luckyk26 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 am

He had an appointment the other night. Vet says she is fairly certain he's about 5. She also is pretty sure that he tore his ACL (which I'm thinking was during one of his cluster episodes). She gave us Rimadyl and Gabapentin. The next morning he was definitely walking better and seemed to be a lot more alert. Last night and this morning he was back to not wanting to go outside and just being really out of it. He is definitely walking better though. He is sensitive to a lot of meds so we have to watch this (he seizes with a lot of them - even plain aspirin). He also lost almost 5 lbs in a month when nothing has changed. If anything he's been eating more since he has been on these meds. It definitely could be medication fog, but what kind of life is that for him to live forever...never moving, not walking, being confused all of the time, growling at people? If it was just seizures and the ACL and would happily deal with that. But watching him suffer is starting to take a toll on me too. And then I feel guilty for thinking this way.

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:09 am

Oh I know the feeling of guilt. Your dog has many of the symptoms that my dog has. ASPIRIN would trigger his seizures, he'd have one about every 2 weeks! We took him completely off the aspirin, now its every 10 weeks. There is no doubt the aspirin triggers it, so I am even careful about household cleaners and Febreeze. My dog is 14 now, and he paces and paces at night. Reading your post, I thought wow, that sounds a lot like Jack! He is on CBD now, and we are 3 days past 10 weeks. I'm really sorry that you're going thru this - is is so hard to watch them suffer. And if you know he is suffering, then the greatest thing we can do for them is let them go. At least that's what everybody says - it doesn't make it any easier and it doesn't feel like it's a gift. It's a huge hole in our hearts.

Luckyk26

Post by Luckyk26 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks - I needed that. Thank god for the CBD because that is the only things that makes him relax and actually sleep. I just keep praying that when I go home he will be more alert, or when I wake up he will be more alert. Seizures I can deal with, torn ACL I can handle, the issues with housetraining and all of that stuff I can deal with. But when he looks at my with absolutely no life in his eyes it kills me.

Luckyk26

Post by Luckyk26 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:48 pm

In case anyone can relate to my story and wants to know what happened. We had to put the boy to sleep this morning. According to his symptoms the vet was almost positive that it was a brain tumor causing the seizures and not epilepsy. Since he used to roam the neighborhood (his previous owners let him, not us) we believe he may have gotten hit by a car at some point which would account for the joint pains in such a young dog. This most likely caused head trauma which resulted in tumors which led to hydrocephalus (water on the brain). Whatever it was, all that matters is that he not suffering anymore. My heart goes out to everyone who has dealt with this on a long term basis. I was only involved for 2 months and it was heart breaking.

xxcesarxx

Post by xxcesarxx » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 am

He's in heaven now. Thank you for taking care of him.

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:40 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. Whether it's epilepsy or a brain tumor watching our fur babies go through them is heartbreaking.
In the end you were his mom and did what was right for him.
My thoughts are with you.

Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so heartbreaking to lose them but I hope you'll find some comfort in knowing that you did so much more for him in the short time you had him than he probably had up to that point in his life. You let him go because you loved him so much to do what was right for him and not hang on for selfish reasons. My prayers are with you.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16