Surprise!

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

golden.boys

Surprise!

Post by golden.boys » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Our 4 year old male neutered Golden (with no apparent warning) had 3 seizures yesterday. This was the first time he has had anything like this. We immediately took him to the vet where blood tests were done with no abnormalities. The vet visit was after the first seizure. Later, when the vet learned he had 3 seizures his first day, she prescribed PB. We just gave him his first dose (60 mg). The vet says she is a big fan of potassium bromide and will try to move him to it if possible. His seizures are pretty violent and scarly to watch, we thought he was dying!
Thank you for the forum. We used a forum for hip dysplasia when our other golden at 6 months had to have both hips (TPO's) done.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi there.
Have you changed his food or used tick, flea or heartworm treatments recently as these are major triggers for seizures.
Has anyone sprayed weed killer or grass treatment.
PB is usually given until theraputic levels are reached and then they are transfered over to KBr or both.
Keep in touch and let us know whats happening.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

golden.boys

Update

Post by golden.boys » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:37 pm

Danny has had an additional blood test for hypoglycemia which came out normal. The vet is now positive about the epilesy diagnosis. He has
been taking the PB with no more seizures (Thank you Lord!).
The vet wants to start the potasium bromide to ween he off of the PB as soon as possible.
We have been sent to a special pharmasist for the potassium bromide.
Does anyone have a recommendation where to get this?
Thanks...

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm

Have you thought about getting a thyroid test done. The vets will not accept that this can cause seizures but it does. You can find the diagnostic testing through Guardian Angels site for Dr Dodds. She is the best one to do this testing as her results are more accurate and she comapres with the breed.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:23 am

Dylan had 5 his first day. I was on the phone to the vet before the first one stopped, by the end of the second we were on our way to the vet. it does scare the pants off of you. hasn`t gotten any better yet either.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Jodi

Post by Jodi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:05 am

Hi there. It is very scary to see your pet have a seizure. Unfourtunately we've gotten used to it. My dog has been on Pheno since 2000. 2 days ago she had 5 seizures within 28 hours. She's still not fully recovered. As she's gotten older things have gotten worse. You mentioned that your vet wants to get your dog off Pheno completley? I had Jordan in 2 days ago and he is going to put her on KBr along with the PB. He told me that KBr doesn't work very well by itself. We have to keep her on a lower dose of PB as well as start her on the KBr. It's just something I want to let you know about in case you want to mention it to your vet.
Jodi & Jordan 10 1/2 year old GSD.
1st seizure Feb. 11, 2000
last seizure Oct. 23, 2006
1 1/2 Gr. Phenobarb 3 tablets/day
1 asprin every other day
.6 mg Soloxine 2 tabs per day
5 mg pred. 1 tab per day
antibiotics as needed

nanirons

Potassium Bromide

Post by nanirons » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:16 pm

Golden Boys:

My vet gave me the potassium bromide for Buster. I would imagine when I need a refill, I can go back to him. One thing I do wonder about, he never said anything to me about bringing him back to check his blood levels. From what I'm reading in this forum, most dogs need to be checked. What do you think?

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:09 pm

The vet should have done a blood test straight away so as to compare levels when the meds have reached theraputic levels. Blood tests are usually done every three months to make sure all is going ok especially liver and kidneys.
If your vet is not answering your questions or is not doing what you think should be done then I would suggest that you look for another vet. Many of us on this site have gone through several vets until one is found that knows what they are doing.
many vets have not had to deal with epilepsy and their first reaction is to advise that the dog be put down. This is when you really need to start looking further.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

nanirons

Post by nanirons » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi Jane: Nice hearing from you. I love hearing from my new friends at this forum. I've been seeing my vet for the past 30 years and he's very well-known in my area. However, I did think it was sort of strange (after reading these posts) that he didn't mention doing some blood work on Buster. Do you think I should call him? I did call there when he first starting taking potassium bromide because his stomach was very upset. They told me I could give him pepsid AC and it did work. I don't give it anymore because his stomach has seemed to adjust to it. Today he was very restless. I'm not sure if he senses something because tomorrow I'm hosting dinner at my house for Christmas. I hope it's not too much for him. Another question I have....do you know if it's normal for a dog to drool at lot on this medication? I've noticed it lately. He has finally settled down and is due for his med in 15 minutes. I apologize for this lengthy response, but I feel so much better when my questions get answered. It makes me feel good to know that I'm not alone. My little guy is so special to my husband and I, and want nothing but the best for him.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:43 pm

My dog was not on KBr but I know from others on this site that it needs to be given with food as it does tend to irritate the stomach and can cause vomiting. Not sure on the drool factor as my dog was a Dogue De Bordeaux and they had the worse drool and slobber you could imagine. This reply might be a bit late but try and keep him calm and do not let too many crowd around and feed scraps. A quite room with the radio on may help, some treats and few favorite toys. Just keep checking incase.
I would get back to your vet on the blood tests. He might be a seasoned vet but epilepsy is a newer sort of problem and he may not know how to treat it. Epilepsy has been around for ages but it is only in the past 10 years that it has become as prevalent as it is now.
Jean Dodds as I mentioned earlier has done a lot of study on this and when I went to a lecture she gave her in New Zealand a few months ago she said that this is the way we are heading. What is showing up in our pets is what we have to look forward to in the future. This is because our dogs are closer to nature than we are ie they walk without shoes, they roll in the grass and on the ground and pick up whatever toxins are out there much more easily than we do. This is why we are having more problems nowdays with our animals than ever before and in her opinion it will get worse.
After the holidays call your vet and ask for blood work to be done.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Hi Nancy,
You had asked about blood work and drooling with KBr. I know when Casey started on KBr my vet did do blood work and then asked that Casey come back in for another test in 6 weeks to check the levels. After that, we go in every 3 months due to some medication increases in the past. Normally, most vets will ask you to bring your pet in every 3-6 months for levels to be drawn. I would also ask for a liver test to be run at least once a year if on PB also. KBr takes anywhere from 3 - 4 months to get to theraputic levels and please don't be discouraged should your dog continue to have seizures. I know, when we first started on the KBr I was really hoping for a miracle thinking OK, this is really going to get them under control, but it has taken us 17 months to finally find a pretty good combination of drugs to try and get fairly decent control on the seizures. Most don't realize that even though your pet is on medication, they are going to continue to have seizures periodically. There are some who do wonderfully, and can go months, even make a year with no seizures, but what the majority of us strive for is good control. It is disappointing sometimes, but we are all here for one another so there are lots of email hugs on our bad days. My Casey does drool, especially during stressful times. Most of the other times, no, but when he is stressed, yes, slobber dripping from both sides of his mouth.
Hang in there and please keep us updated.
Best wishes to you and Buster.
Debbie
Casey epi since 05/10/05 and Callie his non epi sister.