Need Advice PLEASE! What kind of seizure is this?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

dogmom

Need Advice PLEASE! What kind of seizure is this?

Post by dogmom » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi there. I'm new here and deperately needing some help.

My dog and I were starting a walk and were headed uphill. We met some dogs along the way...my dog loves other dogs. When we reached the top he started walking funny. First he stuck his legs out straight in front of him...like he was marching. Then it seemed that his legs were like rubber under him...they were turning inward he couldn't walk properly. It was like he had lost control of them...and then they were fine...next his back legs did the same thing (and his front legs were fine). He couldn't walk straight (his whole hind quarters seemed to not be cooperating) so I encouraged him to lie down. He was panting and shaking...these are both common things in him though. He was conscious the entre time. Right after resting, he got up and ran perfectly fine.

I've been looking at the different types of seizure and none of them sound like his. The trip to the vet was no help at all...all blood tests were fine - same with urine test. The vet said it was probably epilepsy.

So this is where I am now...please help!

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:20 am

wish I could help. but I`m sure all dogs have slightly diffrent seizures. was this the only one?
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:39 pm

Hi there. It does seem like a strange seizure.
We need to know more about your dog ---
How old , weight, breed etc.
Has he been vaccinated recently, had treatment for ticks, fleas or heartworm ?
get back ASAP.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

dogmom

Post by dogmom » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Thanks for responding! This is the only seizure I have witnessed!

Well my boy is only about 16 months old. No recent vacinations - he had his puppy shots a long time ago...and not since. I will not go that route because I am now informed about how bad they are and over used they are!

He is a mutt. Probably Sheppard, maybe Aussie and Corgi in there. He's about 42 pounds. No other health problems AT ALL. He's pretty typical = loves food like nothing else. He's super playful.

He has always been a fearful, sensitive, shy boy (around people) and we worked with him a lot on this...he is getting better. He has always been good with dogs...loves them! Loves playing.

He dreams quite a bit (not sure if it's more than other dogs..?). His paws will start paddling and he will make quiet yipping sounds.

He is healthy & has a nice shiny coat. We switched his food about 2 weeks ago (to another nutro brand) but did it gradually...also he had a little tuna water from canned tuna...maybe a few ounces but it was fresh.

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:41 pm

if he`s that young and shy, it may have just been an attack of nerves meeting the other dogs. I had a sheltie once that would have panic attacks, not seizures. If it were me, I would talk to my vet, but not do anything now, just watch him very close.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:55 pm

Don't panic right now but yes keep an eye on him.
At that age think about getting a thyroid test done on him as this problem usually kicks in around puberty. The vet will tell you it's not related by it can be. Low thyroid levels can cause seizures. Check this out through epi- guardian angels site (LINKS) refer Dr Jean Dodds.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:32 pm

That would be a focal seizure. Not sure if it qualifies as a complex of simple, my guess is a simple. This site has great info on focal's click on the home page, click onto the top nav bar and read. Focals are discussed at some length. Dogs either have either primary or secondary epilepsy. In either case, the seizures are a result of something else. Secondary is a known cause, such as a tumor, cancer, etc, Primary is no known cause for the seizures. It is also known as idiopathic.

OK, what you can do is to find a neurologist or a vet hwo has experience with seizures and epilepsy. I would start looking now, ask lots of questions and don't let them just brush you off or put the dog on PB right off. If anything, I would consider KBr first but I would not put the dog on anyhting right now. Monitor you pup, right down the time and length of the episodes. try to think of anything different;foods, pesticides, addtions to the family, injury to the head, lymes or erlichiosis, undue stress.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08