brand new 2 this--need help

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Dakota

brand new 2 this--need help

Post by Dakota » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:07 pm

Our dog just started having seizures, we think. He sometimes will just stare at us and not even realize we are talking to him, and other times he will make this really loud scream and make these really weird moves, they are happening more & more and he just recently peed during one. We think they are seizures but we are not sure. We got him from a family that was abusive towards him & he always has fleas even though we bring him to get flea dipped or buy at home treatments. Beside those issues he is treated great! We don't understand whats happening & we don't have enough money to bring him in to the vet. What should we do & where should we start?

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:30 pm

what kind of flea treatments are you using? mixing diffrent kinds can overdose on toxins.or using to much of any one kind. rescuing an abused dog has enough problems of its own. I sure hope your dog isn`t epileptic too. I`m too new at this to answer your questions. but my dog has major grand mall seizures, and doesn`t make any noise. can you find a vet that will work with you on payments? if this dog is epileptic, it will not be cheap to keep. good luck
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:01 pm

I think your problem is the flea treatment. Mixing treatments or using cheap treatments is not good and can introduct to many toxins into the dogs system. Any treatment with PLUS in it should be kept away from and many dogs have problems with these.
Maybe it might be a good idea to bath your dog using a regular human type of shampoo seveal times but you will probably need to treat your house as well as the eggs will be in the carpet etc. and just re-infest the dog.
If the seizures continue and you cannot afford a vet then I cannot advise you as to what you should do but you cannot let your dog suffer seizures with no medication.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:38 am

Please get some frontline plus and use it. The dips and other topicals are known to cause issues. None of the flea and tick stuff is great but this one works and seems to be the safest. Please make sure you buy it from a vet or a reputable store that can prove its not a bootleg product. In the mean time, get some natural dog shampoo (human stuff is not good for dogs) and bath the dog. try to wash that crap off the dog.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08