New to Canine Epilepsy

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Mandypop

New to Canine Epilepsy

Post by Mandypop » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:47 am

Just found this wonderful site.... My whippet/greyhound Poppy aged 4, had 2 seizures in one day just over a week ago. First was 7am, thought she was dreaming, but realised something was seriously wrong, she was not breathing at first, and the seizure seemed to go on forever (was just under a minute), frantically phoned the vet, who calmed me down went to see vet that day & had blood tests done. 2nd seizure was the same night at 9.30. Went off to vets again for liver shunt blood test a few days ago... now waiting for results, then if nothing wrong with those she will go for MRI scan and CSF test.

This is the most distressing thing I have witnessed whilst being a dog owner, and I am quite devastated. I have found this site very helpful and calming!

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:11 am

Sorry you had to join. I just want to let you know I was ready to spend what ever it took for my girl, but my vet told me lets get her under control & wait. Kiya clustered really bad from 11pm on a monday we didn't get her under control till after 3pm on tuesday. My vet said we could spend thousands & never know why. So after her load dose at the vets office we went home with both pb & kbr & waited. Were still waiting to get off the pb completely & to start reducing kbr.
Good luck.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:08 pm

I agree with Carolyn. Get the seizures under control first. Many on this site have spent $$$$$ on an MRI and they show nothing - just like a blood test. If you have any tests done at all I would first suggest hypothyroid D8T ( 6 panel) refer Dr Jean Dodds. The instructions to your vet are in epi-Guardian Angels site (LINKS) and the other is a Lymes test.
Check when annual vaccinations were given and also tick/flea and heartworm treatments. Your vet will tell you they are not linked but in several circumstances they are.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Dylan clusters very badly. from a saterday afternoon intill 6:30 on a tuesday, he had had 12 seizures I know of, I`m sure he had another one while I was at work.. we are still working on getting the meds right. he had his first on aug 7 so I`m still very new at this, but I know how terrified you must have been.I was on the phone the first time before the seizure had stopped.I had to keep telling myself to breath, Dylan is gonna know your freaked. after the last round of clusters, I was ready to get me a dose of his valium!
try the ice packs, I was so amazed they worked for Dylan.
1and ahalf weeks free
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:25 am

Thanks for posts. I've tried reading as much as possible, and have read that one vet hospital in the USA did trials with ice packs, and that they help - so will definitely try those.

I had wormed Poppy with Drontal (1 tablet) 2 days prior to seizures, vet said that they are not linked, but that is the only thing I could think of that was different. Vaccinations are not till next Feb, so wouldn't have been those.

Also interested in the Lyme's disease cause, I have a horse which is kept on a dairy farm, obvioulsy there are rats, and Poppy comes with me. I did mention to the vet re Poppy being on dairy farm, but he didn't think that was the cause. Could someone please let me know what tests vet should run re Lymes?

I'm still checking Poppy whenever she makes a noise at night, I'm still terrified that she will have another seizure, I suppose I'll calm down with time, it's been 9 days since she had seizures. Reason I'm going for MRI scan, is that I would like to rule out any kind of tumour or trauma to the brain - at least we could then rule that out and can then treat as epilepsy.

Good luck to everyone else out there!

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:36 am

Finndog is an expert on Lymes. PM him and get the facts or he will post as soon as he sees your question.
Have you used that particular brand of worming tablet before? We have had some dogs on here that had reactions to all sorts of treatments so if it was the tablet it is not uncommon.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

suejacksoncarr

Post by suejacksoncarr » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:41 am

Jane,

Have you seen the posting from Estelle regarding Roxie on the 'treatment and maintenance' section.

Can you advise her, 'cos you are good

Sue
Scholtz - German Shepherd
10th June, 2004 to 9th March, 2007

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:58 am

Thanks Skrpio

I've PM-ed Finndog re Lymes.

vlgriffin

My great dane started having seiuzures

Post by vlgriffin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:18 pm

Our dane Lexi, who is 3, had her first seizure in Sept. It was the most horrifying thing I've seen. I actually thought she was dying. She is/was perfectly healthy. I got home from work and let her out of her kennel, she was getting water in the back yard one minute, the next I look outside and she was on the ground, her neck twisted around backwards and she was flopping all over. It was so scary! Scary actually isn't the word for it. She is a large dog, so it was like a human seizing. It went on for a few minutes, then she had no control over her body. She couldn't stand or use her back legs at all. My husband was on his way home from work and I had to get two neighbors to help me get her in the car to take her to the vet. They were closed and they sent us to the ER Vet so they could keep her overnight. She did not regain use of her back legs for hours. She came home the next morning and was fine until this morning. My husband was about to leave for work, gave her and our other dane a treat and she dropped it. He thought nothing of it, turned around to get his keys and heard her slip. He turned around and Lexi was flipping doing summersaults and he started screaming. I was alseep and awoke to him calling me...I knew exactly what happened. She calmed down and was panting really hard and we just sat petting her. After about 20 min we decided to put her in her kennel..which wasn't easy, and she was ok, but started throwing her head back and her eyes rolled backwards. So we brought her to the vet. Once at the vet, she had about 6 or 7 small seizures where her body just tensed up and her eyes rolled, but she didn't flop around. They gave her steriods, then valume then had to use the pheno-barb to try and stop them. They didn't originally put her on it the first time, since they try to wait until they have more, if any. So now she is on the meds, they have an iv in her leg and are watching her all day today. The thing different about her seizures is she completely loses function of her back end and legs. It takes hours for her to be able to even stand up. Does anyone have a dog that has the same problem? Everything I have read so far doesn't have the loss of use of hind quarters like my dog...which scares me. Our vet recommended us to take her to the neurologist, but we cannot afford the scan, which I was quoted $2500-$3500 since she is a large dog. We just can't afford it. AS well as most of the scans show nothing, and it all comes down to just plain epilepsy. So we don't know what to do, except treat her seizures as we go.

I will mention she is a merle dane, she is full blooded, but is the gray/blue white and black. She is a beautiful dog, bright eyed and has the best happy personality ever! She has been fine until recently, and we can't understand how this just happened out of the blue.

Does anyone have any feedback or advice or knowledge about seizures in danes that results in loss of function for hours (of legs and being able to stand or walk). These aren't quick seizures, they convulsing lasts about 2 min. but the labored heavy breathing and loss of function goes on for hours. We are considering getting pet insurance now, but I am not sure if it covers this.

Any help or insight would be great! This is VERY scary for us, esecially with such a large dog, it's like a person.

Thanks for your help!

Mandypop

Update on Poppy

Post by Mandypop » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:20 am

Sorry haven't kept everyone updated - i've been quite depressed with things!

Poppy had her MRI scan and CSF tap done in October. Showed that she has enlarged ventricles and the CFS is not draining properly, she may now require VP shunt. She will be re-scanned in Feb to decide where we go.

Since then, Poppy has had a seizure on 19 Nov at 2pm, and 4th Dec at 9.40pm. We are treating these with rectal valium to stop clustering. This also helps greatly with her post-ictal period, in that she comes round in a few minutes rather than hours, and by the way, she LOVES the Haagen daz (sp?) ice cream!!! She will cry like crazy and jump all over you for it!!

I'm keeping vet updated with seizures - just now waiting to see if Poppy needs to go back before Feb.

Love to all you other epi owners out there! You are keeping me sane!!

Mandy x

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:57 am

HI Mandy,

Sorry you and your pup have to go through this. Does the vet believe that her heart problems are causing the seizures?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:13 am

I've confused you here !! - Poppy doesn't have heart complaint - it's the build up of CS fluid not draining properly from her brain that may be causing problem - if this is the case - they will do a 'shunt' to drain it from ventricles into the stomach - sounds very scary, but I've been told that it should be quite straight forward!

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:17 am

Mandy,

I think I'm the one that's confused here, not you! teehee I thought ventricles was part of the heart. Actually, I was thinking about this on my way to work this a.m. and wondered if your vet had done a whole body scan on your dog. My neuro did the body scan on my boy's head only. So, they found this through the spinal tap and not the MRI? Please clarify so I can learn! :)
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:25 am

Don't mind me, I just reread your email and you're fully aware that I'm the one that's confused! LOL It's early here and nothings going right so far this a.m., please forgive my stupidity! LOL

I'd still like to hear more about Mandy's issues. This is one I haven't heard about before. Does the vet think the fluid problem might be the cause of her seizures?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:53 am

Hi MK's Mom

The Neuro vet does think that this may be the cause of Poppy's seizures, whether it is acquired or she was born with it - we don't know yet. The ventricles drain cerebral spinal fluid away from the brain, and it is the tubes that drain the fluid which appear narrowed (by MRI scanning).

The aim is to rescan (MRI) in Feb to see whether the condition has worsened, and then she may have the operation to put a shunt in that will drain the excess fluid away.

If her seizure activity increases, then obviously, she will have to be seen by the vet sooner!

All sounds very complicated!
Mandy