Another 9 year dalmatian with seizures

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Pete's Mom

Another 9 year dalmatian with seizures

Post by Pete's Mom » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:43 pm

This is a great group, but one that I truly wish I had not had to join.

Three months ago, my precious 9 year old dalmatian had his first Grand Mal seizure. He recovered from that one almost immediately - much sooner than I did. Several vet visits with long discussions, blood work (all negative) and 5 seizures later we have identified no cause or pattern to his convulsions. I realize at his age, we are probably not dealing with primary epilepsy - a brain tumor is more likely.

Last week, we saw a change in the frequency and severity of his seizures and decided we must start him on phenobarb. I had stalled that decision for fear of turning him into a groggy, uncoordinated fat old dog - a major shift from his otherwise happy playful self. So far, he is more restless with no effect on his coordination...sedation has not been an issue, but he is very hungry and thirsty..

I was wondering if anyone had experience with such late onset seizures, possibly from a brain tumor. My Vet has indicated that phenobarb may not be very effective with tumor based seizures, but we are trying it none the less starting at a low dose - Pete weighs 75 pounds and he began on 64mg ( 1 grain) of PB. Is restlessness uncommon at the initiation of PB? Does it subside?

I have learned so much from you folks already - like the melatonin, ice and changing diets. It is wonderful to know that I'm not alone in dealing with this. Any help, insight, advice would be appreciated.
Pete's Mom

first seizure 12/9/06
last seizure 3/7/07
started on Phenobarb 3/8/07

Jenn

Post by Jenn » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi Pete's Mom,

I'm new too, and we think Winston's seizures are also from tumors--but not sure, and I can't afford a neurologist. The seizures began six or seven years ago, but were so mild that he could possible have primary epilepsy and it simply wasn't detected. But since the seizures seem to be pretty focal, a slow growing tumor is higher in the list of culprits.

He's been on the Pb for a little over a week now, and is already getting less groggy, and more like his peppy self. Giving him additional raw veggies has helped with both the hunger and thirst, and won't make him fat.

I've read that restlessness if very common, as is pacing. Winston sure has been doing it, but again, is getting better already. The restlessness has been mostly in the evenings when the morning Pb dose wears off, so I've scheduled his longer walks for the evening, and this is helping a lot.

Learning along with you.

Jenn
Winston, 22 lb epi-fawn pug, 10 1/2 yr
Non-epi mixed breed sister, Cricket, 16lb, 11 1/2 yr, we think (she's adopted)

First seizure ??? - Last seizure March 4, 2007
Began Pb on March 5, 2007, 16mg twice a day

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:16 am

If these seizures are being caused by a tumor the medication is not going to stop or control them. You need to have it checked out.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:17 am

hi Petes mom, I`m sorry you had to join us too.
is it possiable Pete had seizures before now and they were small, infrequent, and unnoticed?
Jenn, my thought would be too split the dose between am & pm. pb dosent stay in the blood stream long and could be dropping way to low at nite. but check with your vet
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:37 am

Hi Pete's Mom

Phenobarb side effects should ease. Poppy was extremely restelss and whined contiually for the first week on pheno, but is now almost 100% her normal self, it may take a couple of weeks - Poppy weighs about 20kg and is on 60mg Phenobarb twice a day.

I too have a problem with Poppy being hungry all the time, so I now feed her 4 smaller meals a day, this does stop her waiting at her bowl all day! (I also home cook her meals).

Have you talked to a speicalist neurologist veterinarian, to rule out tumours, you would need a MRI scan, and this would be expensive, unless you are insured?

Dylan's Dad has a point, in that seizures may have been unoticed until now? Poppy had one episode with just her jaw chattering, I'm sure that was a minor seizure, and I was able to 'shake' her out of it!

Good luck.
Mandy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Jenn

Post by Jenn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:39 am

Hey Dylan's Dad,

Winston is getting a morning and evening dose of Pb, one every twelve hours. I'm finding that the few hours before his evening dose are when he is the most restless. So I save his long walks for this time, then give him the evening dose afterwards.

Jenn
Winston, 22 lb epi-fawn pug, 10 1/2 yr
Non-epi mixed breed sister, Cricket, 16lb, 11 1/2 yr, we think (she's adopted)

First seizure ??? - Last seizure March 4, 2007
Began Pb on March 5, 2007, 16mg twice a day

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:20 am

for awhile while the kbr levels in Dylans system were building, the vet thought I should give Dylan a half a pill pb inbetween. he got them 3 times aday. he said some dogs metabalize the drug faster.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

daavidfischer

Re: Another 9 year dalmatian with seizures

Post by daavidfischer » Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 am

Seizures with pets are becoming more common. I am not sure why. Maybe because of all the dog foods that we give them nowadays. Well that is the best bet right now. Well I hope for the best for you mate.

EHR systems