WHY EVERY 12 DAYS ??

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

weyonescu

WHY EVERY 12 DAYS ??

Post by weyonescu » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:08 pm

Hello to all who read this and thank you for any incite you may have.

We have a 7 year old Keeshond named, appropriately, Piglet. 16 months ago he had his first Grand Mall seizure, and he continues to have them. Initially they occurred about every 30 days but when their occurrence became approximately every 15 days plus a second seizure within the next 24 hrs and then a third within the next 24 hours, we agreed with our vet�s recommendation to start him on Potassium Bromide. (This was one year after his first seizure, about 4 months ago.)

He started with a �loading dose� and after 8 weeks his KBr level was 1.7. (4 weeks ago his dosage was increased by about 10% to attempt a KBr reading closer to the upper limit)

Piglet was tested for �Addison, Cushings, Thyroid panel twice and did have one of his Para-Thyroids ablated 4 weeks ago due to Primary Hyper Parathyroidism. (Piglet has the Keeshond gene for this abnormality) He has almost water for urine, Specific gravity of .004, without bladder infection or kidney problems. He pants all the time, drinks water incessantly (even before the KBr).

During these last 4 months, while on KBr, nothing has really changed. He still will seize almost exactly every 12 days like clockwork. The �next day� seizures do not occur as frequently but why every 12 days??

Are we are missing something? Why "exactly" every 12 days?
Last edited by weyonescu on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Yonescu

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi there Bill and welcome.
I had a dog that seized regularly every 14 days until the vet doubled her PB. She then went out to 9 weeks for a while and then nothing for 8 months.
You may have to look at outside influences. Is a tree in blossom, someone spraying anything in their garden, what sort of treats are you giving? Are you using flea, tick or heartworm treatments?
Look at what type of container you are putting the water in. Sometimes plastic ones - especially cheap plastic will release chemicals into the water.
I now use stainless steel and they cannot destroy them.
If he is panting all the time make sure he is not overheating, and thus needing to drink more. I would assume that if he is drinking this much then it will dilute his urine to almost nothing.
Keep wet towels around when it nears time for a seizure as a dog with this much fur will overheat quickly. Overheating can bring on more seizures. Check Epi-guardian angels for the ice pack treatment. Some have used it with good results.
It sounds like a build-up of something and then a release.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi Bill, yeah, these cycle things are weird and i don't think anybody knows why they happen that way. If you had said 14 days everybody would be telling you it was the moon, but 12 days, i dunno. But i'd be surprised if his seizures don't change to some other schedule over time. These things never seem to stay the same for more than a few months.

By the way, not a big deal but "KBr" is a better abbreviation for potassium bromide because when most people see "PB" they think you're talking about phenobarbital.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:11 am

sorry to have to meet you here.

why just the bromide? it takes longer to reach good levels. loading dose of phenabarbitol may help break the cycle.
very few ever figure out what the triggers are.

Dylan seems to seize in sept & oct. figure that out
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

weyonescu

Two more since my post

Post by weyonescu » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:46 am

Thank you for your replies... While I thought the "next day, etc," seizures were getting better, Piglet had another seizure just after I posted last evening, and then another about 10 hours later at 5 AM ths morning.... each one seems to get a little shorter in severity. I can only hope that it will be another 12 days until his next.

We were waiting for 8 weeks to pass again until we checked his KBr level again but this is too much... our vet will most likely reduce the KBr and add PB (phenobarbital).
Bill Yonescu

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:14 am

Many dogs, including my own, can get sufficient protection from just one drug, they need both. Your dog is clustering, have you called the vet? You don't want him to do that.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea