Newbie needs support

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:19 pm

You may find that it is the kBr causing her to be sick.
Unfortunatley the more you stress about the seizures the more likey she is to have them. I know how hard it is but you need to destress yourself as well as the dog. Try rescue remedy for both of you.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:37 pm

Sometimes I do alright, but when it went past the normal amount of time I did kind of freak out. I did try the RR, and will again.

She had another today, because she got running around when my husband let her out. We feel so bad that she can't play. Sometimes she'll play a bit and be fine, others she seems to just go a little too far and WHAM.

Today I did fine though and really think the ice pack helped mellow it. It was mostly quick spasms where she brings her feet to her face and makes a "Ooh" shaped mouth, and then rests...and then again twenty seconds later.

Thank you for telling me to try to calm myself. I do tell myself that but sometimes I think it helps to have someone else tell you to chill out. That could be why the one on Friday lasted longer. I will keep that in my mind and do better for her.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:59 pm

Keeping calm is the hardest thing we have to do. We all know just how hard it is to follow this and really no matter what anyone says - unless they have gone through this they do not know.
Anytime you need to let off steam we are here - we know what it is like.
I used to ask the vet if the vallium was for me of KiKi and many was the time where I gave it two thoughts as to weather to take some myself.
If I was a drinker a shot of booze may have helped.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:12 pm

DELETED

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:02 am

Thank you Jane and debrand. My best to you and Barney. It sure is a tough thing to watch, but I am keeping hope. Jane, I wondered, are you still dealing with an epi? You're an angel for all your information and encouragement! This site really is a wonderful thing to have come across. Everyone here is so sweet and informative.

I spoke to a new vet last night and am thrilled that he really seems to know about seizures and how to treat them. He asked if I'd had her thyroid tested, told me about a new drug that can take the place of the PB if it doesn't help, and mentioned MANY of the things I've read on this site, which made me confident that he's dealt with this before. It was great that he called without having me come in for an appt.

We discussed what she's been on and how frequent the seizures have been and he asked me to up her PB and call him Thurs or Fri. He also thinks her KBR dose might be a little low. He also told me to get some Wellactin which has the omega 3's and fish oil and start adding it to her food. He sounded very hopeful at getting this under control. He also said to try the ice cream after a seizure. Jane, wasn't it your dog that had trouble with that? I don't believe Ada is lactose intolerant as she has her pills with yogurt.

One last thing, he said he'd teach me to do the rectal valium to stop the seizures. This hadn't been recommended by the other vet and I keep reading how many people use it. It would be nice to have and give a try at least once to see what happens. The episodes last so long, it's tiring on both of us. Would be nice if it shortened them.

I'll keep everyone posted.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:08 pm

No I don't. I don't know whether to say fortunately or unfortunately as I still miss KiKi desperately. I lost her just over a year ago when she went into status after being seizure free of 8 months. I have her nephew now and whenever he has his puppy dreams I still jump up. I think seizures will always be in the back of my mind and I pray that I will never have to deal with them again.
Yes she did have a problem with the ice cream. Gave it to her once and she had a massive cluster of seizures(18+) lasting 3 days and several days at the vets. I never gave it to her again and although she still had seizures for a while afterwards they were never as bad, until the last lot.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:17 pm

I went back and read what happened to your beloved Kiki and am so sorry things went the way they did.

Just know that your experiences with and love for Kiki are helping others like me and I truly appreciate that you're still here helping.

If it wasn't for this site and others hopes and efforts for seizure free days, I may have given up by now.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Jane is a wonderful human being! I agree that she's the best for wanting to continue on this site to help others. It MUST be painful for her at times after losing her Kiki.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Thank you.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:39 am

If Ada appears to be having seizures when she is excited or playing - has the vet gone down the path of something like ADHD and she needs some sort of tranquilizer and not anti seizure meds.

(I copied this from Bethelonia's post so I'm not taking over her thread)

I'm just barely starting treatment with a new vet and so far he said seizures from excitement are fairly normal. He says her brain just starts getting excited and doesn't stop when it should. She had a LONG episode this weekend and he gave me a prescript for valium, but I had to get the pills because they didn't have the liquid. By the time I returned, she'd snapped out of it, thankfully.

Does anyone know how long the pills take to kick in? He said to give her 2 tablets as soon as she starts seizuring and I was wondering what to expect. (I will be on the phone with him today though, so I'll ask him, too.) I'm going to talk to him about finding a place that DOES have the liquid though also...

Bethelonia

Post by Bethelonia » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:11 pm

I have been giving TJ oral valium to break the clusters for awhile now. I put them in the back of her throat and she swallows them, but I don't attempt to do that until at least ten minutes after the seizure has stopped, otherwise she might snap or bite. She is very used to having meds shoved down her throat (twice a day for about five or six years) so she doesn't really mind.

In order to keep her from having another seizure I have found I have to give her the valium every two to four hours. There was one cluster where every four hours wasn't enough so I went to two. I keep this up for about 24 hours whether she has another seizure or not. They only give me ten valium at a time so I have to keep getting a new prescription between clusters.

At one point I wanted to stop giving her the valium because she was just so drugged up from it she could hardly stand up, and for 24 hours that really sucks. But, like with this last cluster, the seizures were so severe and there were so many (8 in 24 hrs) that I had to give her the valium.

My understanding about the valium (which by the way is also called diazepam) is that it only lasts a few hours.

What did your vet say?
TJ: JRT born on 9-11-01. Genetic neuro disorders including seizures, first one at 5 mo., after that many clusters, may she Rest In Peace, PTS on 12/31/07.
KC: 8 mo. golden lab/terrier who is lost without her best buddy.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:08 am

The problem with giving too much vallium is that their body gets used to it and it takes larger and larger doses to do what it is supposed to.
When KiKi clustered I had to give vallium every three hours until the seizures stopped and then for another 2 times after that. At first the tablets would last at least 3 hours but later on that went down to about one hour. For 3 days she was totally out of it. At times she ended up at the vets and stayed there, so they could give all the help she needed.She was a 135lb dog and to have to assist to move her was a mission.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:26 am

MK has done better on clorazapate. If I give him some valium right after a seizure, it slows down the post ictal pacing, which is good for him because he can hurt himself the way he goes on. the clorazapate has been more affective for him breaking clusters, but one time nothing worked and he had to have a loading dose to stop the seizures

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 am

Well, I had to try it last night as she had one around 7 o'clock. I gave the two tabs to her immediately. They started to kick in about 20-25 mins later. I called the vet around 7:50 as the seizure wasn't stopping but was very mellow. He said the valium only lasts about a half hour and sure enough, I could see the pace of the spasms picking up around 8 o'clock. I gave her another valium and a PB at his request and she fell asleep around 8:10 or 8:15 and it just stopped. I don't have to give her any further valium as she only seems to have one episode and then it's over. So that may keep her body from getting too used to it. I forgot to see what dosage I got.

Considering she had a 2 1/2 hour episode Saturday, I'm not sure if it STOPPED the seizure, but I definitely think it helped. I'm supposed to go get a fish oil, omega 3 supplement tonight along with another med that is a holistic med for seizures in hopes that we can at some point reduce the PB dose. I'm also going to see if I can find a pharmacy that has the liquid valium to try it that way.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Be careful with the holistic meds. Sometimes they can cause more problems.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux