Newbie needs support

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Thanks Jane, I will. I can't figure out how to spell what they're giving me, so I'll look it up once I know and check out the details on it. It was like "colidin" or pronounced like that anyway. I have to call at 5 again today so I'll ask then.

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:12 am

Well, due to crappy weather, I didn't make it last night but will be going tonight.

I found out what the med is that he wants to put her on and it's cholodin.
Here's what I found on it:

What is Cholodin used for?
Cholodin is used in dogs and cats to treat the symptoms like lethargy and reduced awareness of surroundings, poor coat; excessive shedding or thin, dry coat, chronic constipation or fecal incontinence.

Contains Choline, Amino Acids, Vitamins, and Minerals. Dietary supplement designed for geriatric pets that show the symptoms of aging. Cholodin may help senior pets with confusion and behavior problems, such as hiding and avoiding humans, or forgetting potty training habits.

Doesn't sound like it could hurt, so we're gonna try it. I'll keep everyone posted. (though she's not geriatric, he said he's hoping it would help with some of her meds side effects.)

Ron-n-Mattie

Post by Ron-n-Mattie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

adajadesmom, I didn't see where you are. With the activity seeming to cause the seizures is there a temperature extreme? Is Ada fairly athletic or overweight? Our vet said the dog's metabolism determines the amount of meds and their metabolism doesn't stabilize until they are about two years old.

We thought Mattie's metabolism had stabilized awhile ago and she was a little overweight. We measure all our food and we cut her back a little. Then all of a sudden it reversed and she lost too much weight and we are trying to get her to gain. I think the meds mess with the metabolism instead of the other way around. I think we have been adjusting the meds more from the seizure activity than from any tests until she was on Kbr for about 6 months although I can't remember the exact time frame right now.

Due to the half life of Kbr if Mattie seems to be drinking too much water, I will skip one of her Kbr meds. The vet told us to be careful about getting Mattie her Pheno at 12 hour intervals and don't vary the times very much.

Sometimes I think I learn more from this site than from my vet, but the more I learn about it, there is nothing "standard" about epilepsy.
Last edited by Ron-n-Mattie on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red]Ron & Helen's House 'O' Hounds[/color]

Trooper & Joker, the bloodhounds
[u]Mattie, the yellow lab (no longer epi) [i]No more meds[/i][/u]
Dotsie, the mini-dachshund
Flash, the basset
Ziva, the corgi

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:44 am

the amount of food you feed your dog also conflicts with the KBr, which I found out last year by mistake. MK was getting thin, so I increased his food and he started seizing. My neuro gave me the 3rd degree to see if there was a trigger and that's when I learned that an increase in food interferes with the therapeutic levels. I understand it's the increase or decrease in salt that is in the food itself that makes all the difference.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:48 am

Hi Ron,
I'm in VT and there are some temp extremes. Her activity is almost non existent and I'm scared to exercise her any because of the seizures. She's at about the right weight. At the most, if any, she may be 5 pounds overweight. I measure their food and since we took her off the steroid, she isn't ravenously hungry anymore. Her thirst seems fairly normal, but I bring it to her sometimes as she can't get up half the time and I worry that she's not getting enough.
When she IS up and outside, she does get spurts of energy and will run and tackle my other dogs, but I stop her because like I said, that's when she seems to seizure.
The vet said to call him today and if her mobility is still poor, we'd try giving her meds 3 times a day instead of 2.
She wakes up in the night and I see she wants to go out, but it takes about 10 minutes to get her to where she can get up. Even then, when I help her down the stairs, she seems to just want to glide down them on her belly.
Thanks for your reply!

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:52 am

Giving her the KBr 3 times per day might help a lot. I have read that it's too hard on some dogs giving it once or twice per day. Here's hoping this is all it will take so Adajade can regain her mobility.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:54 am

I think I'll try that 1st, and then if that doesn't seem to help, will ask about lowering the Kbr and put the PB back to 2 grain twice a day. Thanks for the good wishes. I hope so too!

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Hang in there! I am going through the same thing with Morgan because we just upped her Kbr. They do get used to it after a while, but it is hard to deal with in the mean time. Good luck to both of you.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks Susan!