new here

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

brodys mum

new here

Post by brodys mum » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:47 pm

hi, my name's Marie and my boy Brody is a 19 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier,he had his first seizure at 5 am on 3rd dec 07,it lasted 90 seconds and he was up and looking for a drink within 30 seconds,took him off to the vets, who said he was fine and it may or maynot ever happen again,and to contact them straight away if he had another one,been home half hour when he went into another one, after a phone call to the vet off we went again they took bloods and sent us home with some Diazepam,he had 3 more seizures by 7am next morning,his bloods all came back clear, the vet said she didn't want to start him on any meds just yet and to watch him and to contact them if anything else happened.all ok for 10 days then at 4am this morning he had another one,contacted the vet first thing she still doesn't want to start him on anything just yet.
im really worried for for my little man,but i'm glad i found this site.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi Marie
Have you given him and tick, flea or heartworm treatments recently. Also have you changed his food over to something different or have things changed in the household. Keep a diary of all the seizures, times and dates even events that have occured. This will help you and the vet in the treatment. It's not a good idea to let the seizures go on for too long before treatment is given as this leads to what is called "kindling" where the brain learns to have seizures.
Read up on this site and learn as much as you can. Write down any questions you may have of your vet. So may times we get to the vet and forget what we wanted to ask.
Do not stress about the seizures as your dog will pick up on it and may make things worse. Check up on Epi-Guardian angel site and read up on the ice pack remedy - this may help.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:00 am

sounds like the way Dylan started. he had 5 on the very first day.
his worst cluster came 3 days after his yearly shots.
and on another board,the lady figured out her pup seized after she put a new bathroom air freshener out the one that is on the toilet paper roller.
strange things can be triggers.
good luck
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:37 pm

Yes strong smells like that can trigger a seizure. The vets will tell you different though. Even strong perfume or aftershave.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

brodys mum

Post by brodys mum » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:06 pm

thanks all, can't think of anything that i've changed ,but he's always got his nose in something, so i guess for now that will remain a mystery. he had his jabs back in june and wormed 3 months ago. he did have an allergy to something the day after his birthday,he woke up covered in hives. i'm keeping a close eye on him at the moment.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:50 pm

The dog I have at the moment gets hives all over him and I tracked it down to the wheat and wheat based ingredients in his dry dog food. I have taken him off off his biscuits and any food with wheat, grains or fillers and his skin is clearing up.
Check the ingredients on the food as this type of allergy is caused by them gradually building up a reaction to it.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux