I'm a Mess !!! any and all help welcomed...New to Seizures

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

MTM
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Post by MTM » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Murfy is pretty controlled and only seizes about twice a year- but he is also on medication and I have no idea how often or how severe his seizures would be if he was not taking anything. Personally, the seizures are much tougher to deal with than the meds. I don't particularly enjoy that I have to pump so much medication into my dogs but I enjoy the seizures even less. I would not be willing to take either one of my dogs off of meds at this point. Maybe Logan's dose needed adjustment or you could try bromide? Dosing can be kind of tricky to figure out- did you ever have his pheno levels checked? Good luck!
~Marie
Epi:
Murfy -forever free but forever missed <3
Toby -74 lbs, 8.5 yrs old, black lab mix
Meds:
258 mg Phb, .9 mg Thyrosyn and 300 mg Zonisamide BID. Also 575 mg NaBr daily.

manymanyhounds
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

Post by manymanyhounds » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:38 am

Unfortunately we did the same thing with Dancer. He was seizure free for two years so we weaned him off of the Pb only to have the seizures return. I wish I had kept him on it but who really knows if he would have continued to be seizure free.

Hugs to you and Logan.
Dancer 07/04/01-07/28/08
Staghound
We love you sweet Dancer Bear!

Mandypop
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 am
Location: London, UK

Post by Mandypop » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:24 am

So sorry to hear about Logan, I'm just cathing up with your posts.

It can take a while for dogs to adjust to medication. Did your vet advice weaning your dog off the Pb? 2 months does not seem very long to be seizure free before weaning off of Pb, I have been told that dogs should be free for at least a year before considering this, and even then there is no guarantee that they will not seize.

My dog has been seiuzure free since Dec 2006, I hate the fact that she needs Pb, but I would rather keep her on Pb than risk her having more seziures.

It can take a while for them to adjust fully to medication, in my case I'm sure it was a good few months before Poppy was 'normal'.

As long as you get their bloods/liver checked, there is no reason why they cannot live a happy and healthy like whilst on Pb. Trouble is that once off Pb, I think it is harder to get seizures under control.


Good luck with Logan and hope all goes well.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Carolyn
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Carolyn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:52 am

In the begining all I could think about was getting Kiya off the pb, its been about 1 year since we even made any further reductions, Im too scared. She is on 32mg twice a day (down from 97mg) with 1200mg kbr 1x a day. On the other support group I belong to (canine-eplipsy.com) a woman jumped in once and said she hadn't had a siezure in 20 years but still has to take meds, very sad. I have come to terms with the fact that Kiya will probably have seizures & meds the rest of her life, I just pray they do not get worse than are now. No set pattern, but at least the last one was about 40 days apart.
Starting the count over again.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

loganthedog
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 pm
Contact:

Such a fighter...

Post by loganthedog » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:53 pm

Logan's situation worsened and he began clustering. They were short, and much less violent than i had remembered the originals to be. His post-ictal wasnt alot of fun either.

It was really odd. He would have a seizure, calm down, and as soon as he would close his eyes and fall asleep, the cycle would begin with another seizure.

he has been @ the vet under observation since 2am last nite, and as of 11am he had been seizure free while in their care...

UPDATE: While typing this i recieved a call from the vet, and Logan had 3 more short seizures between 11am and 1pm. He will remain on IV/cathater through the day, and possibly boarded there for the weekend.

im such an emotional mess over this dog, and im barely keeping it together. Its my daughters birthday this weekend and weve had a family disney/sea world trip planned/paid for months in advance.

Going crazy in Miami ---- Jamie
LOGAN - Brindle Boston Terrier - Male
Date Of Birth: 3/18/99
Date of 1st Seizure: 1/6/08
PB 32Mg AM+PM

Merlinsmom
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 am

Post by Merlinsmom » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 pm

There are other drugs. I didn't want to add KBr to Merlin's Pb because he already had so much reaction to the Pb, so I did some research and persuaded my vet to try Zonisamide. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it is working (he is only about 19 days on it but so far no seizures.) Merlin is a smaller dog, on 100 mg twice a day, which cost $2 a day at Costco but I've ordered it for $1.18 a day for future use. Oh, and I've reduced the Pb to 50 mg from 75 twice a day but we've yet to see if that works. If he goes a few weeks seizure-free on 50 I'll lower it to 25; if he doesn't, it will go back up to 75 of Pb plus the Zonisamide.

My vet then did some reading and when Jack had seizures a week apart, suggested we try starting Jack on Zonisamide. Because Pb speeds up the liver action on Zonisamide, the half-life for Z. is longer if no Pb, so the plan was to start Jack on 50 mg BID. Costco had 25 mg size so I decided to start slow on just 25 BID (as we have an agility trial Sat-Sun and I didn't want to load him with a new drug just before it.) So he is now on 25 BID and will go to 50 if needed.

We are early on in this "game" so I don't know how well it is going to work, but I just wanted to point out that there ARE alternatives to Pb and Kbr, and Zonisamide, which is available as a generic, is not way out there in cost.

Bobbie
Bobbie
Merlin, 10 yr old Pembroke Welsh corgi, seizures since September 07
Jack, 3 year old Pembroke Welsh corgi, seizures since Dec. 06

MTM
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Post by MTM » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:02 pm

Logan and Jamie-

Keeping you both in my thoughts, hoping you find a little relief, and wishing you a peaceful evening.
~Marie
Epi:
Murfy -forever free but forever missed <3
Toby -74 lbs, 8.5 yrs old, black lab mix
Meds:
258 mg Phb, .9 mg Thyrosyn and 300 mg Zonisamide BID. Also 575 mg NaBr daily.

Mandypop
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 am
Location: London, UK

Post by Mandypop » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:48 am

Oh Jamie

I am so sorry to hear Logan is not doing well at the moment. This must be an awfully dreadful time for you right now.

I'll be praying that Logan improves and will keep you in my thought this weekend.

Take care.
Mandy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

loganthedog
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 pm
Contact:

UPDATE

Post by loganthedog » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 am

Logan had been doing great, and the seizures were under control, so i thought. He had been seizure free for almost 6 months, untill New Years Eve. On NYE he had one small seizure, and i was happily surprised when that was it, or so i thought.

This past Sunday, he had aonther seizure, (always while sleeping), and i was hoping it would be another "one-off". Well, it wasn't. For the past 2 days he has had these little min-seizures EVERY single time he has attempted to sleep. This has obviously made it impossible for him to sleep. This also led me to hospitalize him, cause ive also been unable to sleep.

The doctors have been observing him and he has been seizure free while in their care, but he is also NOT sleeping while hes been there. They checked his PB levels and they are just a little bit on the low side. The doctors are going to increase his PB dosage, and suggested an MRI, which i really cant afford at the monent.

I'm not sure how to handle this situation.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Logan's Dad
LOGAN - Brindle Boston Terrier - Male
Date Of Birth: 3/18/99
Date of 1st Seizure: 1/6/08
PB 32Mg AM+PM

MK's mom
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 am
Location: Michigan

Post by MK's mom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:57 am

Why are they ordering up the MRI? If they just want to do one, 'just in case' then I'd say no. If they have a valid reason such as a brain tumor or something of that nature and they tell you they can help Logan if they find out what is wrong, then try and set up a payment plan or something. Too often the docs want to rule things out and perform every test known to man, then tell you they can't do anything for the dog once they find out what the cause of the problem is.

What else is he on besides Pb? It's strange that he can't sleep due to seizures, have you googled this to see if you can come up with anything? Seizing during rest is very common though.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
__________________________________
MK
5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 1/25/06
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Mandypop
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 am
Location: London, UK

Post by Mandypop » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:43 am

I feel your pain. After going 2 years seizure free, Poppy started again March 2009. We couldn't get them back under control even with increasing Pb, we have now added KBr and that seems to be doing the trick.

Poppy also seizes at night when sleeping - there have been quite a few recommendations on here on giving Melatonin just before bed time to help with sleep and reports that it is helpful for dogs that seize during the night.

I agree with Vivian re the MRI. From all the posts here of dogs that have undergone scanning, very few have had anything found.
Last edited by Mandypop on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

MK's mom
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 am
Location: Michigan

Post by MK's mom » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:51 am

Mandypop,

I'm so sorry to hear that Poppy may have to have KBr. she was doing sooo well for so long, I really thought she was one of the pups that was lucky enough to stay on a low dosage of Pb and live out her days with relatively few episodes. That is really strange that she went 2 years without a seizure, then bam!

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
__________________________________
MK
5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 1/25/06
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Post Reply