new today :-) jakes _mummy

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

jakes_mummy

new today :-) jakes _mummy

Post by jakes_mummy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm

not sure if i posted this in right place so posted it here as well . Hi im jake's mummy jake is my 13 yr old belgium cross viamaraner ( cant spell that word ) jake has been epilectic since he was 18 months old i wish i had found this site before now as ive felt so alone dealing with him . i love him to bits even though he drives me mad as for the last 6 years he has wat the vets say been half brain dead because of a massive seisure ( sorry i cant spell ) jake is on phenobarbital 8 tablets a day 4 in the morning 4 at night 60 mg a tablet . touch wood he hasnt had a seisure for a long time now . ive taken him to the vet today to have his bloods taken 5 hours apart as he is acting really strange and im so worried about him . after he has had his tablets he sits in the garden woofing at the sky , he dosn,t bark like a normal dog as he was brought up with a bull mastiff and they dont bark so jake has never barked but he does one woof every 10 mins . im not sure now if he has got into a habit doing it or if its something in his brain so thats why we getting him checked. he has to have injections twice a year as his spine is making his legs a bit wobbly but wen he has had the injection he is great and i take him for lots of walks to keep him active . he is the most adorable dog and i love him so much

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:06 am

I'm glad you found this wonderful site, and am sorry that you didn't find it sooner as it sure has helped me.
I'm not really sure what to say as it's hard to know what you've gone through as far as testing and medications, but I do remember one of our old dogs, Norman, barking once in a while when looking up at the sky. He was a mixed breed that died at the ripe old age of 20. He had never done it before, but as old as he was, we never got any testing done on him with that specifically in mind. He was starting to have seizures toward the end but had never had them before.
Please let us know how you make out and I wish you the best with your baby.

jakes_mummy

Post by jakes_mummy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks for the reply , the vet rang me today with the blood test results he said his levels are a bit high but we have talked and decided we cant reduce his dose as it will result in him seizing , but he thinks its because he was brain damaged through the massive seisure he had years ago , jake does not do as he is told since it happened . i wonder if he knows when he woofs i take notice so its some sort of attention seeking and its turned into a habit , its not as though he is alone as i work evenings so im home all day with him . also the vet said something about the tablets instead of them making him drowsy they are having the opposite effect , i will have to ask the vet again as ive forgotten exactly what he said about that bit . so jake is ok :-) its his mummy thats tired out hehe but as long as my lovely dog is ok im happy and im going to try somehow to get him out of this habit of waking me at 3 am woofing .

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:23 am

I'm glad to hear he's okay. I have read that some dogs react in the opposite way and can excite them where most dogs have a sedating effect.

I've been on ups and downs with my girls meds and it takes time. We added potassium bromide to the phenobarb, and you may want to do a search and check into that. It, for some reason, is a helping addition to the phenobarb and can sometimes allow for a lower dose of phenobarb after it's levels are at therapeutic range. (note, unless you do a loading dose, can take 3-4 months to get to therapeutic range. We didn't do a loading dose and just reached therapeutic range recently. Took @ 90 days. If this is an option for you, make sure to check out the side effects so you know what to expect.)

Keep us posted and good luck!

jakes_mummy

Post by jakes_mummy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Thank you i will ask my vet about bromide i know when jake first started having seizures he had bromide but i cant remember why the vet stopped it as its over 10 years ago since he had it but if he can have it again i will give it a try as reading on the forums it looks like quite a lot have it . anyway his woofing has calmed down quite a lot and we have had a few nights full sleep :-)

ive not been able to get on a lot as i have lost 2 cats through tragic sercumstances the last 2 weeks and today i have my youngest cat in the vet hospital waiting to have her tail amputated as it looks like she has been run over .

its not been a good start to the new year lets hope it gets better like jake seems to be doing :-)

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:07 am

I'm sorry for your losses and the rough time you've been going through. How'd you make out with your youngest kitty? Hope she's okay! Poor thing.