allergy related help

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

loren1951

allergy related help

Post by loren1951 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:32 am

hi all, i hope everbody is well..looking for some help..i've just found out i've got an allergy to my two border collies' its like itchy nose and eyes and my body has an itch too. i've started a course of claritose which should help a bit..i recall someone told me about neem oil that you put on the dogs to prevent the dog dander, i also have a water based air purifier in my home. i will not give up my dogs as my oldest one is epileptic. was just wondering if anyone knows about neem oil and how it works. any help would be much appreciated.. thanks loren 5yr old border collie [ oscar ]

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi!
Aww, I'm sorry you're in this predicament! I only found neem oil used for fleas or other "pest" repellants, but that's not to say it's not used as you mentioned.
While I was checking into it, I did find the following website with something called Outright Allergy Relief (see below). You may have already checked into this, but thought I'd let you know.
I also read about something called Allerpet that you can spray on the dog.
That same site said to give the dogs a good multivitamin and fatty acids to keep the coat healthy (less dander).

http://www.futurepets.com/BOOKS/ALLERGY.HTM

Helps reduce the elements that cause human allergies to dogs or cats.

Outright Allergy Relief
Helps reduce the elements that cause human allergies to dogs or cats.
Rub into hair coat and wipe off with damp cloth. Helps reduce dander that causes dog allergy and cat allergy reactions in humans.
Safe, non-toxic. Gentle enough for kittens over 12 weeks and for puppies.

Good luck and I hope your reactions are limited!

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:55 pm

I'm also reading about Petal Cleanse room spray and Petal Cleanse for dogs...

I'd give any of these a shot...who knows?! (as long as they're proven safe)

loren1951

thank you

Post by loren1951 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:44 pm

thank you, i went on to that website you gave me and i've ordered two bottles of dander stuff. i should get it in about a weeks time.. thanks again for your help...loren

jakes_mummy

Post by jakes_mummy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:05 am

three years ago i became allergic to hair and fur its so bad i cant wear any jumpers with wool in them ( winter is a nightmare ) i have 6 cats and 2 dogs so you can imagine how upset i was when the doctor told me it was an allergy to fur and hair . with jake having epilepsy i cant spray him or put anything onto his skin as it sets off his seizures so i have found taking antihistamine tablets helps me and the cheap ones work as well as the dearer ones . not sure if you have tried these but thought i would let you know as they have helped me

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 am

I hope it ends up being just what you need! Going to the doc and trying something there could really help too. My dad is allergic to cats and dogs, but loves my dogs and if he's coming over, he takes his allergy meds before and the suffering is lessened. (poor guy pets 'em and loves 'em up and then his eyes itch and is stuffy for the rest of the day)