My Chihuahuas Hailey.

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

remaxman

My Chihuahuas Hailey.

Post by remaxman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:26 am

Hello everyone.
My Hailey is just a wonderful cuddly dog 1 years old now. In October we had pool people in to close our pool. When ever the door bell rings or someone knocks at the door the barking begins. I have another dog jerome who is a toy poodle named Jerome. The pool guys were in the back but I couldnt find hailey. She was under the patio table spread out and shaking, stiff as a board. of course i freaked out...picked her up and told the pool guys to get thier truck out of the driveway. Vets was 2 minutes away. This was the start of a journey where Hailey now today has seizures every 5 days or so. Always short. Sometimes she throws up after sometimes not. She was started on 5ml of P. Bromide in January after she started haveing seziures a few times a month on a regular basis. Then the sizures increased. Vet upped her to 1.0 ml and we are going up more on Wed. The vet (I have seen 3 now) is against PB unless its not controled with the next regiment of increases of P. Bromide. I have don a TON of reading here. We are not going to get a cat scan or pay for any expensive treatments as it is so expensive here in Canada. We have already spent well over $2,000.00 for her now. So thats our story so far and I am so happy to have found this forum. We do not freak out as much when she has her sizures and my wife normaly holds her and we get very quiet...turn off lights and tv. We know when she is going to have a seizure as she normally crawls over to me or my wife all afraid. I will keep everyone updated as we go down this road. Thank you to the Mods here for a great site!!

remaxman

Post by remaxman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 am

Hailey was in for her 3rd blood test. She is seizing about every 5 days now. Lots of excitment around the house yesterday and she was fine. Even after getting home form the vets she was fine. We need her to get to the 10% to 20% level for Bromide to be effective and on last blod test she was barely at 9. Vet upped her meds to triple strength so we shall see how it goes. Thanks for reading.

remaxman

Post by remaxman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:54 pm

Blood test is in. She was at 9% 6 weeks ago which is a low level. She is now at 16% which is a medium level. The vet wants her up around 22% and has upped her meds to .05 300 mg/l. Hopefully in a months time she will be at that level. If that doesnt work (we are concentrating on not changing her diet and watching what she eats to) she will have PB added. Vet says salt (or sodium) changes really plays havok with the numbers so we are watching that closely. And the journey goes on!

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:11 am

Poor Hailey, it sounds like you think this maybe a result of some kind of trauma or poision from the pool people? If she was kicked or something since she's so little there should have been some type of bruise somewhere. What about chemicals, maybe she ate something. Im sure you've gone thru all the posiblities. Good luck.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

remaxman

Post by remaxman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:15 am

No...that was all ruled out. They even gave her charcoal in case of chemicals. She is still having seziures months later. Last one she had was June 1st so she is due for one. Hopefully not.

remaxman

went almost a week.

Post by remaxman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:09 pm

I hope it gets better. She is up to .05 300 2 times a day. and she is still having sizures. It was milder and almost a full week. She was sleeping on the back of a chair and my wife knocked her off by accident. She went into a siezure postion right away. My wife was so upset she knocked her off...she wasnt hurt.

remaxman

I need help bad.

Post by remaxman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Hailey is still having seizures. She has them once a week and we have her on .05 kbr twice a day. After the first increase from 4 to 5 she started losing her hind functions. She would just fall on her backside. Blood tests showed she was at 29 and she should be around 20 so we backed her dose down to .04 twice a day and added keppra 3 times a day. Keppra we have been using for about 3 days now. I have read and read until my eyes bleed. 3 vets have looked at her and they are reluctant to put her on PB. When she seizes she shakes vilently and streaches right out for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then she starts to lick her self for about an hour. Then she is fine. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 am

I hope you have better luck with Keppra than I have.

I know that Pb can cause liver damage, but Pb and KBr are so commonly used together, why is your vet reluctant to use it? Does your little guy already have liver problems? If not, then I'd say you ought to try it.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

remaxman

Post by remaxman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:15 am

We will use it as a last resort. I cuts the dogs lifespan and is hard on thier liver and system. One thing that happens is when ever the doorbell rings or someone knocks on our door both dogs go nuts and then she has a seizure.

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:42 am

Hi there

Just reading through your posts. I like MK's Mom would suggest Pb as an alternative or add on, as it seems Hailey's drug treatment is not working. The longer your pup is having seizures, the more harder it will be to control them.

Is your vet a Neurologist? I am wondering why he is reluctant to use Pb - this is usually the drug of choice for vets as it is usually very good at controling seizures in dogs. As long as your dog has regular blood and liver function tests to monitor the effects of Pb, it should not be a problem - any indication of liver damage will show up.

Have you read the Canine Epiliepsy Guardian Angels site? I attach a link
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... rbital.htm
which is a very good site.

Just to add, my dog has been on Pb for 2 years now, she has regular blood and liver function tests. Poppy has been seizure free since starting Pb treatment.

Please let us know how you are getting on with Hailey and hope that her seizures can be controlled.

Take care.
Mandy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

remaxman

Post by remaxman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Well...The vets are not neurolgists. They just know that long term affects of PB shortens a dogs life. We now have her on a 1/4 tablet of Keppra and .03 of bromide. If this does not work we will get pB.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Seizures also shorten a dog's life.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Read up on Dr Jean Dodds. She has been studying this problem for years. Her opinion of PB is that it gets a rap it does not deserve. As long as the dog has regular blood tests for liver function there is usually no problem. It does not necessarily lower a dogs life span as there have been dog on this site who have been on it for many years with no problems. KBr can cause just as many problems with pancreatitis etc.
My own pup was on PB for 2 years and her liver function never changed.
If your dogs seizures are not being controlled this is far more dangerous.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:42 am

Please read through attached link re AEDs. Also do please research Jean Dodds and what she has to say about Pb. She is an expert in this field.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Epilepsy/Treatment.cfm
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Cathleen Griffin

Post by Cathleen Griffin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Like Hailey, Tenny's trigger is excitement. She was a complete nervous, pacing, eating-the-house mess on KBr. We switched her to Pheno and her situation is completely different. No pacing, no uncontrolled urge to eat...and no seizures despite the excitement of people in and out at Thanksgiving. Christmas will be the next test. If she does well there, maybe I'll chance a car ride for her. So far, the Pheno has been very effective for her.

Best of luck with Hailey.