Desperate for any help

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

sapips

Desperate for any help

Post by sapips » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi, I am new here and am desperately hoping that someone might be able to help me.

I have a +-5 year old rescue border collie who has epilepsy. We have had him for 6 months and up until this week his seizures were well controlled, one seizure every 2-3 months. On Monday night he started clustering and has been in the ER since. He didn't respond to the treatment of diazepam and phenobarb, so they had to give him anesthetic to stop the seizures. Wednesday we had an appointment with one of the top neurologists in the country and he did a bunch of tests to rule out something besides epilepsy, loaded him on phenobarb (12mg per kg) and we took him home Wed night.

All through Wed night and yesterday he seemed to be slowly coming back until 3am this morning, where he started having involuntary twitches or spasms of his head. Every 2-3 seconds his head gets jerked backwards. He is lucid and responsive, so he isn't having focal seizures. He cannot stand or walk on his own and won't even try.

Neither our vet nor the neurologist can figure out what is causing this and it is getting to the point where we might have to start considering the worst for him.

If anyone has any idea as to what could possibly be causing this, I am grasping at straws here.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:50 am

Did anyone do an MRI or a spinal tap?

By chance has your pup had his vaccinations recently or given heartworm pills? Herding dogs seem to be susceptible to heartworm Tx.

Sometimes the dogs suddently start seizing after doing so well. Why hasnt' your neuro started him on KBr or another medication? Don't throw in the towel just yet, there are other add on drugs you can try.

Keep us posted
Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

piperm

Post by piperm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:20 pm

The neurologist suggested an MRI, but we couldn't afford to do it, which is killing me.

His last set of vacs were right before we got him, so 6 months ago, and we don't get heartworm where I am.

We were going to change his meds to KBr, but couldn't until he came out of this.

Last night, after speaking to our neurologist and the vet again, we decided to say goodbye. Whatever was causing his head spasms was also causing him extreme pain, and no one could figure out what it was, it wasn't his epilepsy though.

We could not justify keeping him in such pain simply because we wanted him around. RIP my big beautiful boy, you will be in our hearts forever.

Cathleen Griffin

Post by Cathleen Griffin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:06 pm

What a heartache. I'm so sorry for you and your boy.

mgklly

Post by mgklly » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:25 am

I am so sorry you had to say good-bye, we also said good-bye to Buzz recently.
After a year of trying to get his seizures under control we found out that it was probably not epilepsy as well.
Your story sounds a lot like ours, all of a sudden the seizures got worse and he seemed like he was in pain too.
It is the hardest thing to do but I agree with you that it was the right thing to do.
My thoughts are with you and your family
Buzz
Gone but never forgotten
Dec 28/06 to Oct 27/08

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:28 am

I'm so sorry to learn that 2 more pups have passed on.

Very sad.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm

I don't know what it is with this time of the year but it seems it is when we loose most of our furkids.
My sympathies go to all of you who have lost your babies recently.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux