Meara

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:46 pm

well, we took her to the vet - they kept her there for a few hours to get her hydrated and want us to bring her back there tomorrow for another fix. The xray did show something not too large blocking an area of the abdomen. They are going to take another xray tomorrow to see if it has moved, if not, come Monday she will probably have to go under the knife :( I will keep you all updated.

I have to say, after the fluid IV, she is deff acting a lot more like herself, so that is a good sign. Hopefully we can skip out on the surgery part, but we will do whatever we can to keep her around. We love her and she is still only a pup! :(

Stay tuned..
-Josh
Meara (Border Collie/Aussie Mix)

First Seizure: 06/05/08
Last Seizure: 10/01/10 (After 16months of being seizure free)

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily
Hepato Support twice daily

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:24 pm

well, meara seems to be doing better....she didnt pass anything, but she is acting totally normal and holding food/water down. I don't know what the heck her problem was! The doc said there was a "Suspicious area" on the xray, but nothing was completely blocking it.

Could of she got a stomach virus? LOL, who knows..I am so confused, I hope she continues to act normal and this is a problem of the past.
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:17 am

Meara was doing pretty good, we added KBr to her daily regimen and she has had 1 seizure in the last 6months. However, since yesterday when we got home from work, shes been acting extremely weird. Hardly moving, going up and down the steps extremely slow, not barking 1000 times a day like usual, sleeping a lot. I am not sure if she had a seizure in her crate while we were at work or what...I was able to give her her medicine when I got home, but this morning she wont eat anything, but she did just drink for 10min.

UGH this dog is putting me in the poor house...guess ill take her over to the vet this AM.
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:24 am

As soon as I hit submit, she vomited everything she drank up along with a lot of bile :(
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:13 am

Are there anymore symptoms, such as her sticking her neck out as far as it will go? Does she seem painful in the abdomen area? Bromide is associated with MegaEsophagus and pancreatitis, so keep a close eye on her. This could just be a 'bug', but when a dog is on medication we have to watch so closely. If she developed MegaE, she can aspirate into her lungs and that's life threatening.

What is her KBr dosage and how much does she weigh?

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:54 am

We took her to the vet. She has a slight fever and they took xrays of her abdomen. It doesn't seem to be blocked, but its hard to tell. They did see a lot of gas on the xray though.

They gave her some fluid under the skin and some antibiotics, and something to clean out the GI track.

She weights 60LBs

Medicine:

75mg Pheno / 500mg Kbr AM
90mg Pheno / 500mg KBr PM
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 am

SHE'S NOT BLOATING IS SHE???? I thought about that when you said she vomited with a lot of yuck. Did her vomit look like raw egg whites? Did you feel her sides and did it feel distended?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 am

her vomit was pretty much water and orangey bile, nothing else - the vet felt her abdomen and said it felt a little tender, but didn't seem alarmed. She had a similar case like this a few months back and in about 2 days she was fine, hopefully that will be the case here too.
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

kbugs

jumping in

Post by kbugs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:40 pm

excuse me for jumping in.........but this is what we just went through....pancreatitis. We just got through our third bout and this one was bad....they start by being sluggish, then start vomiting everything and cannot keep anything, including meds down.....fever can accompany and does in our case. Have the lipase and amylase checked. Jezzy's were off the wall. They kept her all afternoon and loaded her with fluids. The only thing you can do is withhold food for 48 hours, water only....

Ours was caused by the potassium bromide. They are sending her blood to Texas A & M to find out if it is chronic or acute. I am afraid it is chronic, she has been off potassium bromide for 2 months.

You have to watch fat in the diet. Jezzy was better yesterday and much better today. The fluids have a lot to do with helping them recover and the no food. There was no "reason" for this bout......which is why we are afraid it is chronic now.

Pancreatitis will kill them and it is extremely painful for the dog. They way my vet explained it was the digestive systems starts "eating" itself and destroying the organs.

Believe it or not, it is worse than the epilepsy......
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Well, since yesterday Meara has been back to herself, was so glad to come home to a happy, playful dog again.

So what do yous think? Mild cases of Pancreaitis, or just some sort of virus or maybe she ate something bad?

Either way I am going to keep an eye on it, but these vet bills are KILLER! :o
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Seems to be happening again :( What to do, what to do. She ate a tiny bit of food today but wouldnt take her meds. She's been going outside, eating grass and vomiting several times last two days.

I can't keep affording to take her to the vet.

I am giving her a little bit of water every so often and she seems to be doing fine with that, but I don't know what else to do.

We are going to try and get her on a better more consistent diet to see if that helps. What a pain!

Any help or advice would be great.
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:18 pm

In our case, they finally sent off a pancreatic panel on Jezzabelle. Hers came back way off the wall over 1000, confirming the diagnosis of severe pancreatitis at the time. The best thing you can do is withhold ALL food for 48 hours, water only. Jezzabelle generally will do this herself, but the medication is the tough part, as she cannot even keep them down. Jezzy usually doesn't seize when she has the pancreatitis, however, when she is coming out of it, she always seizes, like she was holding them back.

Our vet wants Jezzy on a strict low-fat diet. He suggested Purina OM, which I wouldn't feed my dog if it was the last dog food on earth. It is FULL of corn, soy meal, soy husks, etc. I am going back to Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Lite (6%) fat and a natural dog food, no grains of any kind, AND affordable. I have tried all the expensive stuff and the dogs won't eat it and all I do is throw it out. My dogs were raised on Diamond and I have had it with food shopping.

They will test her blood in about 2 to 4 weeks again to see if her pancreatitis is chronic (which it can develop into quickly). Our vet will let me administer fluids by IV at home, which is the best treatment for the pancreatitis and exactly what they do for the severe cases at the vet. They can also give them a shot or medication to stop the vomiting.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about on the vet bills, they are killing us.

Kay and Jezzabelle (by the way we only made it 13 days seizure-free)
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. Luckily since we have started the KBr, Meara has only had 1 seizure in about the last 6 months. This is very promising, but it seems like you help one thing you cause another problem! Hopefully this wont develop in to anything severe. We are trying whatever we can to keep this dog around a while, but yeah the costs are getting ridiculous and if problems keep arising I don't know if we will be able to continue :(

Thanks for the food advice, I will look in to that.
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

hammondjx

Post by hammondjx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:21 pm

Been a while since I posted, so I just wanted to give you all an update on Meara.

She had a seizure on June 1st, 2009 and has been seizure free since. She is on KBr, PB, and a liver suppliment now, and all seems to be going great.

Glad to be posting something good for a change.

Hope everyone is starting the new year off on the right foot - and I hope to not have to post any bad updates anytime soon ;)
Last edited by hammondjx on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh

Medications:
60mg Pb twice daily
600mg KBr twice daily

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:39 pm

Wow such a wonderful post, glad to hear you are doing well!!!!

Kay
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09