Page 1 of 1

seizing again after 4 months

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:41 pm
by loren1951
hi everybody, oscar had his last seizures in august3rd this year, he was on 1000mg of pheno barb along with his epiphen. i had him at the vets on the 3rd august and the vet doubled his dose of pheno to 2000mg along with his epiphen, he then told me this is the highest dose that a dog can be on. he just had a seizure 15mins ago afer nearly 4 months. i'm terrified to take him back to the vets cos i know he will say there is nothing more they can do for him. if he's on the highest dose i don't know what else they can give him. i'm at my wits end and can't stop crying. i'm just praying they will come up with some other type of drug that might help him. thanks for all your help....loren

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:51 am
by Dylans Dad
1 seizure in 4 months would not be a reason to change dose. as much as we may want it. very few dogs ever stop compleatly
Dylan has made it as long as 11 months I was so looking forward to hitting the 1 year mark. didnt happen.
he has to have a compo of meds too but he has potassium bromide
maybe switching the second drug would be better then the high dose of PB?

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:12 am
by MK's mom
I agree. Your vet could start him on potassium bromide and lower the Pb dosage. Wait and see what happens, maybe he won't have any seizures for awhile and you won't have to change anything.


Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:53 am
by skrpio
Loren - I'm not sure what you mean about the meds. In NZ epiphen is phenobarbitol. Are you refering to potassium bromide (KBr) as PB?
I don't see why your vet has given him such massive doses. Can you check with another vet.
One seizure in 4 months is actually really good going. There is no reason to panic.