Anyone "outgrow" seizures?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

beckypeck

Anyone "outgrow" seizures?

Post by beckypeck » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Our golden poodle mix has been seizure free for 2.5 years since going on Pheno Barbitol. The vet says she's never had a dog (knock on wood) that has gone this long without seizing. She has now recommended we try to wean him off it very slowly. He's currently on 75 mg 2x day. So we are going to knock it down to 60mg 2x day. Just curious if anyone else has been through this?
He has not been sensitive to the timing of his pills.. we have sometimes been up to 4 hrs late with them and there's been reaction... so I'm hoping this will work... although I just got a call to have his glucose level checked tomorrow because it came back as reading low on his bi-annual labs. Ugh.

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:08 pm

If a dog is having seizures because of a head injury or a toxic episode, they could heal. I know kids out grow seizures, but it's not something I have come across in dogs. That was one of my first thoughts when Morgan started having seizures so young.I think it's a good idea to try the weaning, no use giving him meds he doesn't need. I have be able to take many of my foster dogs off seizure meds once I got their thyroids adjusted. Good luck and keep us posted.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 am

I would ensure if you are going to do this, that it is done as you say, very gradually and with a knowledgeable vet.

My dog had been seizure free for over 2 years, then in March this year she had a couple within 2 weeks of each other. This was despite her Pb levels being within the therapeutic range and having regular liver function tests.

I too have been late with the odd Pb dose and luckily my dog was fine on those occassions.

I'm sure that there have been others who have tried weaning off Pb, only for the seizures to start again and the dogs being harder to control with Pb.

Good luck and hope all goes well.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily