Update on Jezzabelle

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

kbugs
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Update on Jezzabelle

Post by kbugs » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:01 pm

Well, we are now about as refractory as you can get.......since my last posting, we have upped the Gabapentin twice. She has spent one night in the hospital for almost, but not quite status, but mainly due to a temp of 105. We no longer are able to make it for more than 9 days seizure-free.

Our last episode (last night) started at 9:20 and ended at 7:30 am, with 2 GM and 15 focals, thankfully, the GM were about 9 hours apart, and the focals were spaced out and coming in 3s in short succession, which believe it or not IS an improvement....as they are farther apart. However, this is tough on me, in the past Jezzy's seizures were alway done and over with in an hour or two at the most.......I am now afraid to leave her alone for any period of time.

New things we are trying.........Gabapentin is now at the max 3600 mg. tid, PB 3 gr. bid, and levothyroxine 0.5 mg. Melatonin 3 mg. bid and Vitamin B complex with DMG.

I still use 36 mg. Valium suppositories (however, I don't think they work) and ice packs, and I will load her with extra PB when she starts seizuring. I have been reading about Rescue Remedy, any thoughts??

Still on Wellness, but taking pork completely out of the diet. May explore gold beads and acupuncture, but I have been told that it has poor results in cluster dogs.

Where do we go from here?? Well, as long as she can recover and not show any signs of brain damage, we keep trudging along and hope for something or some response to the meds. We might add clorazepate, but not sure at this point. We cannot add any more Gabapentin and the PB is close to maximum at this point.

Throw out any and all suggestions, we are really at a loss here. Hey, I even have the vet's home phone number now....pretty sad.

Kay and Jezzy
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

claires friend
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: California

Post by claires friend » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:37 pm

Is there some reason you are not using Kbr? That is what we find controls the partials the best for Morgan. We can never really leave Morgan alone, which makes life interesting sometimes, but I have a great family that helps out a lot. This is something I would never wish on anyone! Jezzy is lucky to have you fighting for her. Take care.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

claires friend
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: California

Post by claires friend » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:42 pm

Whoops sorry, I just read your other post about the Kbr. We are having some success with Zonisamide.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

kbugs
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by kbugs » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:32 am

I was told that Zonisamide was in the same family/class of drug, Sulfonamide, and therefore would have the same effects as the bromide, so unfortunately it is not an option.

I found the threads on taurine on this site and am now reading up on that. It sounds like it may be something worth trying.

Kay and Jezzy
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

MK's mom
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 am
Location: Michigan

Post by MK's mom » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:26 am

I dont' remember why you can't use KBr, can you please remind me? If it's the potassium, can you use the sodium bromide instead? It's easier on the digestive system. Have you tried levetiracetam? That's the generic keppra and it's cheaper now than it used to be, plus we can get it in the States. My neurologist said he hasn't seen good results with gabapentin, but all dogs are different. There's pregabalin, but I don't know what the price is for that. Why can't your vet increase the dosage of Pb? My boy weighs 70 lbs and gets 2.5 gr, BID.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
__________________________________
MK
5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 1/25/06
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

kbugs
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by kbugs » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:34 am

Jezz weighs 105 pounds and the vet said we were nearing the limits of the PB, as she is on 6 gr total per day, and of course I load it with the onset of seizures. So I guess I can't answer that question at the moment.

Thanks for the info on the generic form of Keppra, it definitely may be an option. The Pregabalin is one I have not heard of.

I remember that we had discussed the sodium bromide, but honestly I cannot tell you why it too was not an option. But it may be in the same class of drugs as the potassium, as well.

Going to go get some Taurine and trying to find a US distributor for Epitaur 500, which sounds like something I would definitely like to try.
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

claires friend
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: California

Post by claires friend » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:35 am

Can someone tell many how many mgs are in a grain? I am having trouble knowing your dosage because I do everything in mgs. Thanks
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

kbugs
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by kbugs » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:49 am

I think 1 gr = 60 mg. which doesn't seem like much....I might be wrong, in which case Jezz would be on 180 mg. bid
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

MK's mom
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 am
Location: Michigan

Post by MK's mom » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:13 pm

I am LOUSY at pharmaceuticals, so I can't tell you. MK is on 64.8 mg of Pb and I was told that one of those tablets equals a grain, so Kbugs is very close to being correct.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
__________________________________
MK
5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 1/25/06
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

claires friend
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: California

Post by claires friend » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Morgan only weighs 50 lbs but takes 150 mg of pheno BID. I test her levels once a month and they are usually high (45) for a dog on both pheno and Kbr. But that is the only way to keep her grand mals away. So far her liver is coping and other side effects are minimal . The Zonisamide really raised the levels of the other two drugs so we are in the process of backing it down. Being on thyroid meds requires more pheno. I know of a couple of other Goldens that take 250 mgs of pheno BID. I think the blood levels are more important than the amount of drugs taken when determining how much to give (Did that make sense?)
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

kbugs
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by kbugs » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Well we are trying to get past 10 days, so we can test the blood again. The vet does not want to test her again, until she has gone at least 10 days seizure-free.

After researching like crazy for the past two days......I went to the health food store today. I got taurine, DMG, and Rescue Remedy (couldn't believe they had it). Reading the book at the health food store, it made sense, why these particular supplements and I have even read where some epi dogs have been totally controlled on DMG alone. I have no grand illusions here, but hoping for maybe some control or at the least longer spans between the seizures, preferably over 10 days!!!!

She is already taking the melatonin at 3 mg. bid, and I have noticed that she sleeps more soundly through the night. It is highly recommended for dogs who seize during the night (which the majority of ours are).

I am adding taurine 500 mg. bid and DMG per Dr. Dodd's recommendation of 1/3 the human dose (1-3 per day), so one 125 mg. a day.

The gal at the health food store also said that the Rescue Remedy can also be used daily (1 to 2 drops) as a healing agent?? I have never read of this.

Hey I have absolutely no idea if any of this will do anything, but I know I am not hurting her by giving any of it and there is that slight possibility that it may help in some way. Will keep you posted.
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

MK's mom
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 am
Location: Michigan

Post by MK's mom » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:54 am

Good luck with this! Every dog responds differently to medcations, so you won't know what will work until you try it. Maybe this will be just the thing to give Jezzie more time between episodes.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
__________________________________
MK
5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 1/25/06
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

kbugs
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by kbugs » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:23 pm

.......well no seizures (since last Thursday), BUT we are sick AGAIN. I thought it might be the supplements, as that was the only thing I could think of, then I forgot that the PB was upped to 6 gr. per day. She was very restless last night and after I went to sleep was apparently up all night throwing up and still throwing up this morning. Wouldn�t take her pills or her milk this morning and I hate shoving pills down her throat. This is when I know she is really sick. Fever is up to 104.1....and holding right now....any higher and into the vet we go.

Michelle has been corresponding with a neurologist and they both feel that it is a PB toxicity caused by upping the PB. They also do not feel that the Gabapentin is doing anything, so we are probably going to stop it.....no dose at 3 pm for now at least. Still waiting on tonight�s dosing. The neuro wants to add zonisamide?, which I thought she couldn't take.....I am confused now. Have to double check on that one. So I am waiting to see what they have up their sleeve next. They both feel that the supplements are fine and did not cause this latest sickness.

He did say two things.......that we kinda already know......He has not had good luck with Gabapentin and German Shepherds seem to be the hardest to control.......I could have told him that!!! I am exhausted from being frustrated and helpless!!!!
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

claires friend
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: California

Post by claires friend » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:53 pm

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been in your shoes many times. You get through it somehow. We will be praying for you and your baby.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

Bcgirls12
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Kitchener,Ont

Post by Bcgirls12 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:41 am

Our baby went through this with vomiting and very sick couldn't move ended up being pancreatitis.

Post Reply