Update on Jezzabelle

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 pm

Well I hesitate to post this, afraid I will jinx us, however, we hit a milestone today...............TWO WHOLE WEEKS WITH NO SEIZURES.........

Here's what is different and I am convinced it is playing a major role. I have gone back to Diamond Naturals Lite Lamb and Rice.....6% fat and 25.00 for 30#. I am sooooooo sick of throwing out expensive dog food. My dogs were raised on Diamond and we never had a problem before. The first two weeks they were on the food, Jezzy went down to one to two seizures exactly 7 days apart, but nothing else, and now we are two weeks, with none. No more food left in bowls and no more diarrhea!!!!

Jezzy had her blood tested yesterday and her pancreatic panel and cholesterol are perfect.

When I think she is acting a little whacky, I will give her an extra Pheno or just Bach's Rescue Remedy (I now swear by that stuff!).

So we are holding our own and hoping that maybe now we have found the tricks at least for a while.....whether the supplements are now kicking in, with the change in the dog food and the switch to zonisamide, I don't know and don't really care at this point. Afraid to stop anything, cause not sure where the big turnaround came from.....

paws and fingers crossed.

Kay and Jezzy
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:17 am

That's great news Kay!!

When we change more than one thing at once, it's hard to tell what is helping the most, but like you said, who cares????????? If Jezzie is going longer inbetween episodes, that is what counts.

Great news about her pancreas, too!!!

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:30 pm

We made it 20 days...it was definitely so cool. But this morning at 4:00 am the first of 7 grand malls began. I had to take her to the vet (another biggy), as her temp went up to 106.1 and I couldn't bring her out of the clustering. None of my usual arsenal worked.

What was interesting was that the vet gave her propofal (the Michael Jackson drug) this time, as he was worried about her pancreas and didn't want to load her with pheno, as I had already loaded her with 4 grains when the seizures started. His thinking was that it would give her brain time to reset. He sent us home with diazepam and a line in place. Well so much for propofal.....it reset for about a half hour and she began seizing again an hour after we got home....80 mg. of diazepam later, she calmed and went to sleep for most of the rest of the day. We're almost okay again now. In our case, the Valium suppositories just do not work.

I have been slipping her an extra Pheno now and then when I think she "looks" like she is going to seize and I held her off for 20 days, which is an accomplishment in itself. So we are going to up her pheno by a half grain a day, taking her to 6.5 grains per day, with the zonisamide and my supplements and see if that keeps her in at least the 20 day range.

So we are back to counting.

Kay and Jezzy
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:22 am

My neuro told me that you can give an extra grain of Pb per dose for a couple of days to break the cycle, so don't worry about giving it unless you think she's already gotten too much.

Have you tried the clorazapate yet? That stays in the system much longer than the valium does. The suppositories never did anything for MK either.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:37 am

Nope haven't tried that one yet........I was happy with the diazepam though, as it definitely calmed her down and helped her sleep it off and she is back to Jezzy this morning, her 3rd birthday, I might add. So I took her line out this morning. He always wants to leave it in and poor Jezzy has had so many pokes and prodes that they can't get a line in her front legs anymore and had to move to the hind legs.

I just want my arsenal on hand that works, as the emergency vet bills are killing us. Generally, 9/10 times I can handle the situation myself, but when her temp starts skyrocketing, I get really worried! I could live with once every 20 days, that's almost once a month.
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:31 am

Well we went from 20 days, down to 13 days, down to 6........old patterns die hard and frustration/defeat is a hard pill to swallow. The number of seizures are less (1-3), however, much more severe and lasting a bit longer. Have upped the Pheno to 7 grs per day, everything else is the same. Trying to get a clean blood sample to check the pheno levels.....and then go from there.

My girls are my nemesis, my 12 year old is riddled with arthritis and I am so hoping she goes peacefully in her sleep. Arthritis medication is nothing more than probably to pacify me at this point, thinking I am helping her. Then the vet keeps bringing up "you know we may reach a point" with Jezzabelle. Could be a very long hard winter.

I had so hoped that someday we could post in the success section. I will keep you posted, but it will likely be from here.

Kay and Jezzabelle
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Update on Jezzabelle.......frustration plain and simple. Her pheno levels are too high, so we backed her down to 5 gr. per day and we are weaning her off the levothyroxine. There was no control of the seizures with the med and the pheno will cause a low thyroid panel anyway. We are also trying a constant dose of Diazepam.

I had a long discussion with my trusted vet today. We are only in a try and control mode with Jezzy....The one vet is convinced that she has a brain tumor, been recently favoring everything to the left and shying away from anything on the right. I don't dispute the fact, but on the same token, if she does, nothing would be done differently, it wouldn't change our management of her. We are in new territory, as my vet has no experience with a GS that has gone this long with so many failed therapies, most owners give up and pull the plug, so to speak.

My feelings, I won't pull any plugs until it is clear that Jezzy is suffering or goes into status or we start having major fever problems again. It is just unfathomable to me to look at this perfectly normal (maybe a touch whacked), playful dog 6 days of the week and say its time! We have lived with seizures once a week for this long, we will wait it out as long as she is willing and has the will to continue.

If I have to face what Vivian did with MK, I would make the same decision, but it doesn't make it any easier and my heart goes out to her and others who have had to make the decision. Just the fact of knowing that our time is coming as well, doesn't make things any easier. We will cherish the time that we have with her. I guess we probably will never be able to post the last seizure date, until we go over the Rainbow Bridge.

Kay and Jezzabelle
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:29 pm

I feel the same way about Morgan!! I have just read so many stories recently where dogs who have seizures for years go the last 2-4 years of their lives seizure free. So I guess there is always hope !!!
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:16 am

Kay,

Has your vet checked Jezzie's ears? When they have an inner ear infection their head will tilt also. Is she falling over when she tilts her head? How old is she?

I wouldn't think of putting her to sleep if she's going once a week because you say she's happy the rest of the time. With my MK, it wasn't the seizures it was aspiration pneumonia and DIC and how he developed it I'll never know. Something else was going on with MK and I'll never know that either. It seems like these poor epi dogs have to deal with way too much, they seem to get it all. All we can do is love them and help them to the best of our abilities. Most of us on the list do just that although it doesn't feel like we've done enough when we lose the battle.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

kbugs

Post by kbugs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:36 am

Yep we totally checked her ears on her last exam about a week ago. Nothing, clean as a whistle. It was also my first thought that she had a major ear infection going on. But this has been getting worse with time. She does tilt her head and favors the left side. She will dig at the ear and then get down on the floor and try to "rub" the ear. Its almost getting to be an obsession with her. If you try to touch her on the right side of the head, she shys away, just like she has been abused (yeah right). The way it was explained to me that if there is a lesion or tumor on the brain, it will affect the opposite side. Who knows.......you are right, I do believe that there is something else going on with Jezzy, what I don't know.

Yesterday, she started shying away from taking her pills, and I started worrying about pancreatitis again......that might kill her if she goes through another bout. But she quit and is taking them readily now, so there was a sweet relief.

One day at a time.....

I think about you often Vivian, hope your doing okay.....email when you can.

Kay and Jezzabelle
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:01 am

Did the vet check the inner ear? (I honestly don't know how that's done, and I doubt it would produce the dark gunk that an infection does)
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:06 am

Here is a link for canine ear infection symptoms.

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/canineearproblems.html

The same webpage has info on brain tumor symptoms and you will see that the ear infection symptoms sound like Jezzie, not the tumor ones.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

kbugs

Our Last Update

Post by kbugs » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:31 am

It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I write this. We lost Jezzabelle this morning. Jezzy is now over the rainbow bridge with MK and everyone else. She started seizing at 2 am and went into status. We couldn't put her through it anymore and I had never seen it this bad. I have comfort in knowing that we tried absolutely everything humanly possible to help Jezzy, but it wasn't to be. She is at peace now. I thank you all for everything little piece of advice or your experiences.....it has been priceless.

Kay
Jezzabelle GSD
My angel
First seizure 01/24/09
Last seizure 10/28/09

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:16 am

Kay, Im so sorry to hear about Jezzabelle. As you say, you tried everything possible, it just seems so unfair.

Run free Jezzabelle.

Take care
Mandy & Poppy x
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:32 am

Kay,

I'm so unhappy to hear this. You did so much for Jezzie and I know how your heart is aching. I have no words of comfort for you, nor do I have any words of wisdom. It sucks that our babes were born with this DAMNED epilepsy, it's as though the cards were stacked against them from the day they were born and no matter how hard we tried to keep them healthy and alive, there was only so much we could do.

Please know that we feel your pain and you are not crying alone.

Vivian and angel MK
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009