New here

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ldivens

New here

Post by ldivens » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi, just joined. Our american eskimo had a really bad day. Went to emergency room this morning, got home around 2pm. Gave him valium to stop seizures, he had about 4-5 really bad ones. They then gave him pheno, twice, and now it is 8 pm and we are home but very worried. He has been moving his head back and forth non stop for hours. He won't drink, eat, and can't stand or walk. It is pretty bad. He hears us but won't really respond to much. They said he would sleep for a couple days, well, he hasn't slept a wink. He is nervous, and actually had one small seizure at 6:55 pm. Is this normal after the meds. He has had epilepsy for his whole life, but usually one to two seizures per year. They get longer now that he is getting older. He is 9 years old. Please help. Lisa

richmauer

Re: New here

Post by richmauer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:29 am

Lisa,
First thing is to calm down. I'm sure by time you read this your buddy has also calmed down. If you read this forum, you will realize that seizure patterns and intensities change all the time. My Peanut went from having 2-10 seizures over a 36 hr period once a month, to now having 1-2 seizures every week. she is 10 years old and has been having seizures for 7 years. You may have to adjust his meds. You didnt mention whether he was on meds except for the Pb that the vet gave him.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 am

I have heard of dogs that get pacey and agitated from the drugs, so your pup might be one of those. Usually when they get a loading dose (I'm assuming the vet gave him a loading dose of Pb)? they get sleepy and lethargic until their bodies adjust. You'll have to contact your vet and tell them that the dog seized again already, they may have to give him more meds or decide that they need to give the dose more time to kick in.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

ldivens

Post by ldivens » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks Rich. He is calmer this morning. He still cannot move or stand on his own. His vet appt is not until 2:30pm today, but they said if any emrgcy arises bring him in. He was never on pheno barbitol ever until yesterday. Because he only had 1 or 2 seizures a year, my boyfriend didn't really want to put him on it. Now is a different story. I said so many hail Mary's last night I couldn't believe it. It's a miracle he is still with us today, honestly. The worse part is they want to do so many tests, and right now financially it is not an option. We are really torn, and thanks again. We are trying to stay very calm. His name is Scout by the way. Lisa

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear about Scout.

From my experience, it's perfectly 'normal' for them to have side-effects' from the phenobarb. My dog was 'wobbly' and paced for a couple of weeks after starting.

The trouble with not treating the seizures is that the brain learns to have them more, called 'kindling' so although it feels awful for your dog to have to go on drugs, it is for their benefit. Phenobarb is not really as bad as you think, as long as you have regular blood and liver work done for Scout. Hopefully he will adjust to the drugs fine.

When you say the vets want to run more tests; would that be MRI and spinal tap? If so, I believe that there are a few on here who would say that these are not really that helpful as if your dog does have 'primary epilepsy' nothing will show by doing these tests done.

good luck with Scout
Mandy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 am

Hi Lisa,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through all of this with your pup. When we started Jake on Phenobarbital it took about 2 1/2 week for him to adjust to it. He was very wobbly, and dazed for a little while, but after that he was fine. The only real side effect that is long term is that he is always looking for food. We give him Milk Thistle, and something called Vetri DMG to protect his liver. We also give him Cholodin to help with brain function.
I hope this helps, and good luck. I know this can be very scary, but your pup knows that you love him, and that's just as important as everything else.
Take Care,
Linda

ldivens

Post by ldivens » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks everyone. We are praying it is going to be alright, going to Dr's in 30 minutes, finally after waiting all day. We are hoping it is just the big dose of pb that is making him so bad. Wish us luck. Lisa

Apache

Post by Apache » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi, Lisa,

Sorry to hear about Scout's seizures. I've only witnessed back to back episodes once,...and that was once too many for me.

I too, have heard that some dogs can actually become rather agitated and overly excited upon their first introduction to Pb. It wasn't Apache's experience with it, though. Was it the vet that gave him both Valium and Phenobarbital?

I know how costly some of these tests can be. You didn't mention much about what procedures they did do at the emergency, but I can only assume at least some blood work was done? I was told by my vet that even after the blood work was done, she would not prescribe Phenobarbital until a complete urinalysis was done. Something about possibly toxins by-passing the kidneys, if I recall.

Anyway, hope everything turns out okay, and as Rich mentioned, stay calm as best as you can. Hoping to hear back from you.

Brian

ldivens

Post by ldivens » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Well, we are still not out of the woods yet. Dr. understands we cannot afford critical care hospital for him right now, so he gave him IV fluids, subcutaneous also, valium, b12, and an antibiotic. His fever is still 104 so we have to put alcohol swabs on his belly and try to get him to drink. He is going back tomorrow morning again for check and more IV fluids. Dr. was very nice and spent an hour with him. It is critical to get his fever down, and fluids in him to wash out some of the meds they gave him. He is more concerned with kidney function right now. He said he is in a semi comatose state! It's not really good. We are going to manipulate his bladder shortly, has been pouring all day. Guess we don't really have to go all the way outside. Has anyone been through this before? We are taking advice of staying very calm and quiet. Helps us too. Good nite, thanks for all the kind thoughts.

Lisa, Brian & Scout

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 am

What a long couple of days you've had. Did your vet check for toxins? I'm not sure what test we had done the first time Jake seized to check to see if he'd gotten into something he shouldn't have. I was pretty much in a daze and exhausted, but I think it was part of his urinalysis test. Since our Epi dog's immune systems can be challenged because of this disease, they are more prone to infections too. Have you checked the Canine-Epilepsy Guardian Angels website yet? There's a lot of information there too. I will be sending positive thoughts your way. Stay steady, and take care.

ldivens

Post by ldivens » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi, things still shaky here. Brian took Scout to vet today, had more iv fluids, valium, antibiotic, and his fever was down considerably this afternoon.Also did a cbc. He did not do blood work yesterday. He is going in again in the morning and we will evaluate the situation again. He is drinking a little water, still no food, we empty his bladder manually but certainly no bowel mvt yet. Interestingly, the Dr. did a laser thing on his head, that he said actually goes into the brain to help if there is edema. I did not get to go as I had to work today. The Dr. said it would not be unethical if we were to decide that we feel things are not improving enough for his quality of life. But then you wonder if you are jumping the gun. Scout got run over by a car 4 years ago and it's a miracle he survived what he did then. So we will pray for him to be safe and peaceful tonight.

Lisa, Brian & Scout

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:28 am

Don't give up yet if he's making some progress. We are all praying for Scout and you. We had a near death incident this last summer with Peanut and she is fine now, Still having seizures, but fine.
Chin up!
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

ldivens

Post by ldivens » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:40 am

Thanks, but we think it is not going to get better. Very, very bad night. Nothing has changed. We are going to vet in 30 minutes. We are prepared to say goodbye. Lisa