Howling, barking, and whimpering! I need sleep!

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

babyStew

Howling, barking, and whimpering! I need sleep!

Post by babyStew » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:55 am

My 16 month old Rottie mix started having seizures four days ago. He went to the ER and got a loading does of PB. Since he's gotten home all he does is whine, bark, or howl unless he's sleeping. Has anyone heard of this? I know hyperactivity can be a side effect but what about the barking etc? I haven't gotten any sleep because of it. I can't live like this either. He has an appointment at his vet tonight but I am not sure if I have the strength to see him go through this and am close to having him put to sleep. Any suggestions would help.

MK's mom

Re: Howling, barking, and whimpering! I need sleep!

Post by MK's mom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:20 am

Are you kidding me?????????????? You've been dealing with this for four days and you're ready to put your dog to sleep already???? This board believes in doing all we can for our dogs, not ending their lives because we can't deal with something.

Yes, some dogs bark and howl, your dog has just started seizing and he's discombobulated, not to mention he's all doped up from Pb. Yes it's aggravating, but try to put yourself in his shoes, he's not having any fun either and doesn't know what is happening to him. Ask the vet for some valium to calm him down and give it a little time. You could also try something by the name of Calms or perhaps someone else on the board has a suggestion for your dog's anxiety

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Please realize that he is adjusting to what's happening and the drug. It's very scary for both of you but once he adjusts your life will calm down. Sleep deprivation can make things seem endless, but you have to reconsider putting him down. Is there anyone (friend or family member) who can come over and help so that you can get some sleep? As Vivian said, Valium is an option, so talk to your vet about that. There is something called Rescue Remedy that you can get at a health food store that may help him calm down. Since he's a Rottie mix I'm assuming that he probably weighs around 60 lbs. You can give him 3-6 drops in his mouth every three hours. There is also something that we give Jake called Calm and Rock rose, but you can only get the ingredients through mail order and mix yourself. It really does work. Yes, you can give this along with Pb and/or Valium and he will be fine.
I would hate to see you make a decision like this considering your lack of sleep and loose your wonderful pet.
Please come back on and we'll help you through this.

Linda

babyStew

Post by babyStew » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. This is just really hard. He has an appointment with his vet tonight so hopefully they can give him something until his system gets used to the pb. It was just so hard last night. He had food and water and didn't want those. I tried to give him a treat and he didn't want that either. The only time he really stops whimpering is when he's outside. I can't keep him out there all the time though. Maybe I'm thinking living with an epileptic dog will be harder than I think.

I'll have to look into the rescue remedy. He is 64 lbs.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

There's a lot of information on Rescue Remedy here and online. I would suggest getting a prescription for Valium from your vet too. I know how overwhelmed you feel right now. Jake weighs the same as yours, and the thought of seizures and the unknown that goes with them, can really be frightening. I promise you that with some sleep you will be able to calm down and try to live day to day with your dog, and you will adjust to this. You obviously love him or you wouldn't have come here, so give yourself and your dog a break, and take a deep breath. Another idea, if you can afford it, might be to leave him with your vet for a day so that you can get some sleep. He'd be in good hands. A friend asked me awhile back how Jake was doing (we passed the 4 year mark with this in Oct), and I told her that he was doing really well, he just has a bad day every couple of weeks. She said she couldn't think of anyone that doesn't have a bad day every couple of weeks. I remind myself of that all of the time. In the beginning of this I was so scared, and felt so lost at times, but Jake has taught me to be so strong for him. I've had dogs all of my life and thought I had already learned how to be strong for our "furkids". I didn't know that I was capable of this but here I am!! If I can do it, I know you can.
Let us know how you are, that's why we're here!
By the way write down any questions you have for your vet, and ask anything you need to. Don't think your bothering them. It's their job, and that's why they get paid the big bucks!!

Linda

babyStew

Post by babyStew » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Thank you so much. You have made me feel so much better. That's so true about having bad days too! I am afraid of not knowing when he will have a seizure. I suppose I do just need to breath and get used to things changing. I do have another dog so I need to get another dog gate to keep them seperated. My older dog did not like it when Stewie was having his seizures. This morning they played in the yard though like they always do. Stewie's tail seemed to wag more too. I so can't wait to get home and hug him!!!

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:22 pm

I love the name Stewie! Just take this one day at a time. Everyone here knows how you feel, and they are an amazing support. They along with our vet gave me a lot of hope, information, and gave me strength. Jake taught me all the rest.
Good luck tonight, and keep us posted.

Linda

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

I just typed out a message and it's gone, I hope you don't get this twice.

I owe you and apology for my outburst this a.m., I should have been kinder. Please don't give up so easily, this is your pet's life.

If you haven't already, start a journal and jot down the date and time of each seizure. Sometimes an owner can identify a pattern and figure out if something inparticular is causing a seizure. things that can trigger episodes in some dogs are: cleaning products, strong odors like air fresheners, heart worm medication, vaccines, blinking lights, etc. The website Epilepsy Guardian Angels has a list of things that can be associated with seizures, it's a good source of information if you have time to check it out.

Please stick around, this is a good group here and we always try to help anyone that comes. Again, I am so very sorry for my behavior earlier today, I really want to help you not make you feel worse.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

babyStew

Post by babyStew » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks Vivian. I was just frustrated this morning and wasn't thinking clearly. I'm just so sad this happened to my pup. I love both my dogs soooo much! My fiance gets jealous! :D I need to give him more time to adjust. I need to give everyone more time to adjust!

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:13 pm

I know how scarey it is, I remember when it happened to my boy and I saw him seize for the first time. I didn't know diddly about epilepsy, but I learned as much as I could.

Ask your vet for the valium tonight or some clorazapate. Those two things will sedate your boy a little and hopefully everyone will get some rest. Also, google 'canine epilepsy and restlessness' to see what you can find, maybe there's help for the howling and barking that no one here knows about or has thought of.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Babystew
It's called post-ictal. It is the period after a seizure. All dogs are different. Some just are 100% normal, some, like my Peanut, had periods of years, where she would have post-ictal problems after some of her seizures, but not all of them. The symptoms are all different. Some dogs, whine or bark. Some pace. Some have temporary blindness. I tried everything to stop this post-ictal behavior. Sometimes, it worked, sometimes it didn't and I spent many. many, sleepless nights with Peanut. Unfortunately, your pup has epilepsy and needs your total commitment or sorry to say, he may be better off, offering him for adoption. Vivian, as always, is right. You must get the proper tools to deal with this. Valium or clorazepam, icepaks, occular compression, ice cream. Start reading, the more you know the better you can handle it.
Hang in there and keep us posted.

Here are some links:
http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/VetReco ... l_info.htm
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... _After.htm

And remember on this board, we don't give up on our dogs!
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Apache

Post by Apache » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Please, by all means, if you can't get much sleep, at least try and have an extended 'time out' period for yourself. It's just as important for you as it is for your dog, as Stewie will pick up on your stress.

Yes, the post-ictal stage can be a bugger. With our guy, Apache, he can be totally restless for an extended period of time, or he can become as mellow as can be. It's something we cannot predict.

Don't forget, this is all new to Stewie, plus he's having to deal with the medication, too. However, they will adjust. If you can't keep him outside for too long, see if you can play some indoor games with him.

Good luck and keep us posted, please.

Brian

babyStew

Post by babyStew » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:46 am

So I took Stewie to the vet to see about getting him something to calm him and she wouldn't give him anything. She said it's too soon in his pb treatment to add anything else in incase it messes with the pb effectiveness. I don't know why they couldn't have told me that over the phone! She said he's doing good so far on the dose he's on and doesn't want to risk messing with that. But, he did better last night! He only woke up when my fiance went to use the bathroom! So he let Stewie outside to run around a bit. He did bark when he came back in but went to sleep after 5 minutes or so. Plus! He remembered the sit command yesterday!!! His tail was wagging more when I got home from work. He still jumps all over but at least we had a good night. I pray that he keeps getting better and god gives me my puppy back.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:27 am

What good news!!! Your vet could give him valium, do you trust this vet? So many of the primary vets don't know enough about epilepsy to be treating it. I don't trust them with much of anything to be honest. Anyhoo, I'm glad that Stewie is calming down and getting back to his old self. Sometimes the post ictal gets better and sometimes it can get worse with time, you'll just have to go with the flow. Even the seizure patterns can change, it keeps us on our toes! :)

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 am

I'm really glad to hear that things have calmed down. I'm with Vivian about Valium, and there are a lot of vets out there that don't know enough about this and are still using dated information. I don't understand why your vet wouldn't allow you to have it on hand. I do believe in second opinions. I'm just glad that you and Stewie finally got some rest.
Keep us posted, and good luck to you.

Linda