Howling, barking, and whimpering! I need sleep!

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

babyStew

Re: Howling, barking, and whimpering! I need sleep!

Post by babyStew » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks guys!!!

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 am

Good news. I agree with Linda and Viv. Push the vet for valium, just in case you need it. Keep up the good work.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

babyStew

Post by babyStew » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 am

UPDATE:
Stewie seems to be getting better. It seems I do have to train him again though. He learned sit again and are working on lay down. Seems like he is whining less. Even before his seizures he always wanted attention. I'm starting to wonder if he had them because of his anxiety. But in any case, he's being more cuddly with me than jumpy, although he still jumps like a lunatic. He ran full speed yesterday. Definitely doesn't seem like a dog on pb. He wags his tail when I come home. His chewing is out of control too. Yesterday he chewed on a dining room chair. So I put him in the kitchen and my other dog in the dining room. I gave him some chew things too so hopefully that keeps him occupied. He is still having accidents in the house. I used to take him outside and tell him to go pee and he would. It seems he may be getting better with that too. I need to get some suggestions on his jumping though. He's always been bad with jumping. I did use a water bottle this morning and sprayed him if he jumped. That seemed to work. I kind of hate to use the "fear factor" to train him though. He still runs into a wall or door here and there but his coordination is almost normal. I just gotta stay strong and hang in there and really work on training again. Some of his behavior is rubbing off on my other dog! My fiance is very supportive. He knows I need my sleep so he'll get up with Stewie at night and let him out to pee. He's awesome. He actually admitted he loves Stewie too. I've prayed to the patron saint of dogs and to god everyday at least twice a day to help my pup get through this.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 am

Pb increases thirst and hunger, that might be contributing to his accidents in the house.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:14 am

Not sure about the jumping, but a wet wash cloth from the freezer is great for teething. Play some tug of war first to get him interested in it.
Puppies are tough, but epi puppies, you will need help from above for sure.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:37 am

I'm glad to hear that things are improving and that you have support with this. It's hard enough to train a puppy, let alone one with epilepsy. The only thing I noticed was that you said that you give Stewie some chew things. Just make sure that they're not rawhide or pigs feet. They can be a problem for epi dogs.
I hope everything continues to improve.

Take Care,
Linda

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:49 am

Good to hear that things are settling down with Stewie. When my dog first started seizures, the post ictal stage lasted for several days until we started her on valium when she had the seizure, this greatly reduced the post ictal stage from a couple of days to about half an hour.

Please be careful re chews as Gentle Jacob Mom has said they can be a problem for epi dogs, and at the start of our journey with epilepsy, this seems to be on the the things that set of seizures with Poppy.

Keeping a diary is a great idea in helping you pinpoint what may set off seizures.

The lack of sleep thing, I think we've all been there, I don't think I slept properly for the first year! It does get better.

Poppy had a great run on Pb just over 2 years until seizures started up again (result of anti inflammatory drug reaction with Pb) but we have added KBR and after tweeking dosages she is doing fine.

Good luck and keep in touch with this board, there are some fantastic people here who have made my journey with my epi dog so much easier.

Take care.
Mandy & Poppy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Apache

Post by Apache » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you and Stewie! I sometimes wonder what's worse,...the seizure itself, or the post-ictal stage? Neither are fun, obviously.

I hope you've managed to get plenty of rest.

Brian