Need Help

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

MK's mom

Re: Need Help

Post by MK's mom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 am

KBr is known for causing hind end weakness and if the dosage gets too high it can cause bromide toxicity. maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but did you mean you're going to eliminate the Pb altogether? Not sure that's a good idea even though the Pb didn't do enough by itself, the Kbr and Pb together might be fine. KBr is associated with pancreatitis and Megaesophagus, so you don't want that med to be TOO high, you're better giving 2 or 3 drugs together if need be. It might take some time to get the dosages where they're protecting against seizures and giving your pup some relief with the hind end weakness. Just remember not to change too many things at the same time or you won't know what is working and what isn't.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

rougehs1

Re: Need Help

Post by rougehs1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm

No we are not dropping the PB altogther. We are just dropping the dosage from 1 1/2 tablets twice a day to 1 tablet twice a day. They are 60 mg tablets so she will be going froma total of 180 mg to 120 mg. But I think I will wait to increase the KBR as she can't keep going like this. The poor girl can't take a step in the house witout falling. She is better when we go on our walks but still drags her back legs a bit. I have recen't added a RAW diet for her dinner while keeping her on her kibble for mornings. That may cause the dosage of the KBR to be stronger as there is no salt in the RAW.

The good thing is that this time she only had 1 seizure (unless she has one tonight) that we are aware of and like i said, it is always on schedule. SHe had hers on Monday and after the 4 day mark, she doesn'nt have them until the pattern starts again in 4 weeks.