New here

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Terry H.

New here

Post by Terry H. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi, I have a German Short hair Pointer named Megan. She is 5 years old. Last May she had her first Grand Mal Seizure and had around 6 others during the 24 hours preceding. We had a rough year and now things are calming down. She was finally referred to a Neurologist and we sure think he's a great Doctor. Megan hasn't had a seizure for 9 weeks now. Before that Megan had around 3 to 4 every month. She takes phenobarbital 64mg Tab 2 am and Tab 2 pm, K brovet 500mg twice a day and for the last 4 months she been on Keppra 750mg 3 times a day. We think the keppra has been the savior for us so far although we know things can change on a dime. Oh and she does get rectal valium when she does seize.

Terry H.

richmauer

Re: New here

Post by richmauer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:11 am

Sounds like you're on the right path. Good luck.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Katarina

Post by Katarina » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Sound like you have been through a lot.

I've just got some rectal valium for my dog, how quickly do you have to administer it for it to be effective? How effective has it been for you?
Katarina, mother of Ben (Irish Setter),
11.9.10-20.8.11
You didn't deserve the hand you were dealt my Benji,
you will stay with me forever.

Terry H.

Post by Terry H. » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:10 pm

We use the rectal valium right after Megan is finished with the seizure which last 3 to 5 minutes. She hasn't had clusters since using it. This disease is so terrible. Her regular vet contacted her neuro when it came time to clean her teeth this summer so he would know what anthesia to use. She started seizing last May the day after we applied flea treatment which was Vectra 3D and about a week after her teeth were cleaned. We since changed vets.

Terry H. from Kansas City Kansas