Has anyone witnessed a 'seizure' like this.....

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

pebbles1472

Has anyone witnessed a 'seizure' like this.....

Post by pebbles1472 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Yesterday my 3yr old Lab suddenly could not stand or control his bowels and started to drool. When my husband called his name, he tried to stand but could only take a few steps before stumbling. My hubby got him outside and then into the truck and rushed him to our vet which is about 15 minutes away. He could not get him to get out of the truck on his own so my husband had to carry our 80lbs Lab into the vet. As soon as he got into the vet, he had to put Gunner down because he just couldnt carry him anymore. As soon as he set Gunner on the floor, he immediately went back to 'normal'. He started walking around, tried to play with the other dog in the office and got onto the scale all by himself. The vet poked and prodded, asked several questions and came to the conclusion that it must've been some kind of seizure. I don't buy it. All research that Ive done in the past 24 hours doesnt point to any kind of seizure that I've read about. Gunner never became stiff, never twitched, responded when my husband called his named(he tried to get up but just couldnt) and didnt have any of the normal 'post' seizure actions that I read about. I posted something on Facebook about it and someone pointed me to this site. Ive read more stuff on here but still nothing points to a seizure. Any suggestions or ideas on what this might have been?

Carolyn

Re: Has anyone witnessed a 'seizure' like this.....

Post by Carolyn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:13 am

It could have been some type of seizure. The only thing you can do is wait and watch him. Hopefully it will never happen again. Recovery can come easily to some dogs. When I was at the er with Kiya after she had her first seizure she was totally fine by the time they saw her, like nothing ever happened. Meanwhile I was a total wreck. Good luck.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

Apache

Post by Apache » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm

I agree with Carolyn. It could have been a seizure of some sort. Our guy has had some really strange ones in the past little while. And, the last time he had absolutely no post-ictal behaviour. It was if he blacked out for a couple of moments, and when he came to, he was perfectly fine. I even dared to take him out for a walk around the neighborhood. Just keep a close eye on Gunner, as I'm sure you're already doing.

Best of luck to you,..and Gunner of course.

Brian

Kitt

Post by Kitt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:39 am

Several years ago, one of our dogs exhibited the same symptoms you describe. After several occurences, our vet did many tests, and found the diagnosis from a specific blood test. They took blood, sent us home to feed our dog, and then did another blood test a few hours later. In comparing the two, they found evidence of liver problems, which created excess ammonia that was affecting the brain.
I mention it just in case it may be of help.
We are currently living with a dog that started having the more traditional seizures earlier this year, and hope to learn alot in this forum.
Kitt