New to this forum / Two dogs in home having seizures...

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

PamelaC

New to this forum / Two dogs in home having seizures...

Post by PamelaC » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Hello everyone.... I am new to this forum and I am hopeful that I will find some advice as the vet has not been very helpful.

I have two dogs living in our home, Sadie (7 yr. old golden retriever) and Gunner (2 yr. old springer spaniel). Gunner had his 1st grand mal seizure on 8/10/2011 with one occurring about every two weeks since. We continue to do blood panels and increase PB each month with Gunner. Sadie, just recently began her seizures on 12/14/2011 and has had 5 grand mal seizures since. Our vet put her on PB twice daily on 12/30/2011 and she hasn't had a seizure since, but I hold my breath and sleep very lightly.
Our vet says that both breeds are typical breeds to have seizures. However, I believe that this is too coincidental. Two dogs, unrelated, beginning seizures w/i 4 months of each other. My husband, kids and I are desperate to find and answer as we are tired and worried lovers of our two outstanding companions.
We live in the country, do not us any types of fertilizers inside/out, clean the hard wood floors with Murphay Oil and tile with vinegar and water, have no possible lead exposures, haven't changed food products or cleaning products. I did use swiffer dry cloths to mainly dust the dog hair up off of our floors but stopped when Sadie began having seizures. We built our house in 1989. Their H2O source is inside and in a plastic self filling bowl. I wondered about metals in the water; however we have an outside rabbit that we give the same water and no seizures.
I keep a log of the seizures and Gunner's seem to mostly occur around 3 AM; however it is too early to determine if there is a typical time pattern for Sadies. So far, Sadies have occurred early in the AM too. Giving baths, cleaning floors and doing laundry at that hour of the AM is not our favorite.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

seebr5640

Re: New to this forum / Two dogs in home having seizures...

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:40 am

Pamela, Sadie and Gunner,

It does seem coincidental that both of your dogs started having seizures within 4 months of each other. But it can happen.

Did you use any flea/tick treatment during this time? Were their vaccinnations during this time? Or any yard treatments?

Have you had the 6 panel thyroid test done on both of them to check for low thyroid? Sometimes low thyroid can cause seizures.

Did the vet do a CBC and Chemistry profile?

Good Luck,
Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 250 mg TID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

PamelaC

Post by PamelaC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:31 am

Thank you so much for your reply!

We have had the testing done; however I don't recall if the vet did a thyroid test and I will check on that.

No flea/tick treatment; however they did have vacinations. Gunner has his shots in July and started seizures one month later in August and Sadie had her annual shots in mid November and started her seizures a few weeks later in December. I called the vet to inquire about the coinincident, but the vet had no other animals have been reported to have seizures after their vacinations. The vet referred us to the neurologist and Gunner has his 1st appointment on the 20th.

Now, since my initial post... Sadie hasn't had any further seizures thank goodness! Unfortunately, Gunner had two terrible seizures over the weekend. These last seizures left our poor guy with twitches.....terrible. I hope those will go away, but I am concerned that those are permanent. We are so scared that we are going to loose both of them. My entire family is exhausted and so worried about them.

Thanks for your support....
Pam

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 pm

I remember reading about 2 dogs in a household a long time ago, I found one posted by shibamistress December 2010. I think I remember an older post. Just a shot in the dark but maybe you could search and email those posters to see if they ever came up with something.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Pamela, Sadie and Gunner,

It is perfectly normal to be “so scared” for Gunner and Sadie. Keep in mind that a lot of epi-dogs live a long and normal life. And you are not alone. :)

Sounds like they both had seizures not too long after getting their immunizations. This has happened before with others, that their pet starting having seizures after getting their immunizations.

The rabies is usually required by law in most states. But in regards to the others, I have Sampson’s titers checked on the canine parvovirus (CPV) and canine distemper virus (CDV) instead of having them given again when due. I think they are a little more expensive. But it is worth every penny to me. Unfortunately, Coronavirus and Lyme titers can be checked, but are a waste of money according to Dr. Dodds. I have read that most vets are now starting to give these every three years instead of every one year.

I am so glad that Sadie has had no more seizures. I hope she never has anymore of them. I had a cocker spaniel that used to have seizures while she was a young pup every so often and she outgrew them by the time she was about a year old. I never had to put her on seizure medications. Unfortunately, we weren‘t so lucky with Sampson as he did not outgrow them.

So sorry to hear that Gunner had 2 more seizures. :( Please keep us posted on how he is doing and what the neurologists says.

Stay positive and calm. You will get through this with the help of the vet, neurologist and the wonderful people on this post.

Hugs,
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

joanm456

Post by joanm456 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 pm

I am new to this forum as well PamelaC. i am so sorry to hear about the dogs seizures. I have been lucky so far that none of my dogs have had to go through this. I hope yo and your family find the right cure for Gunner and soon. Glad to hear Saddie hasn't had another one. Hoping and praying that all gets well soon.

PamelaC

Post by PamelaC » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Hello everyone!

I am so thankful for everyone here! :D I reassures me that we are not alone.

Sadie update.... While my son is home from college on Christmas break, he found several skin irritations on our Sadie (7 yr old Golden). He took her to the vet yesterday and we found that she has staph as well as a vaginal infection. Could it be possible that these two infections combined with the stress of her companion, Gunner, having seizures actually trigger her to have seizures? If so, will the seizures subside now that we are treating her infections?

Gunner update.... While my son was at the vet yesterday with Sadie, he inquired about the thyroid test for Gunner. There was never a thyroid test done on him so we had that done today. I cannot believe that I am actually praying that his thyroid will either be hypo or hyper! Anyway, the two terrible seizuresthat he had last weekend has left him with muscle twitches. I have slept very little this week worried that he was going into another siezure. Can anyone tell me if these twitches will go away? Are the twitches a permanent paralysis?

Oh, I ordered a radon test today. We added on to our home 3 1/2 years ago and dug a basement under the addition. Just grabbing at straws as I think we may have had seizures before now if there was a radon presence.

Praying and patiently waiting for a solution....

Hugs to all...
Pam

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 am

Pam, Gunner & Sadie,

In regards to your questions about Sadie, I really don’t know. Did you ask the vet these same questions? It could be possible.

I’m glad you had the thyroid test done on Gunner. I hope it turns out to be an easy answer for Gunner and that is what is causing his seizures. It doesn’t hurt to be hopeful.

I am not familiar with the “twitches” that occur after a seizure, as Sampson does not have this problem. What part of his body is Gunner having the muscle twitching? Maybe someone else on the post can help with this? What did the vet say?

Have you had the Phenobarb therapeutic levels checked? This is done about two weeks after the initial dosage and then every six months, unless the dosage is increased, then it is done again in two weeks

I hope there is no radon in the house, that is scary. It was a good idea to do it though.

I wanted to add that some of us do the ice pack on the dogs mid-back when we see a seizure starting to happen or if already in a seizure. Sometimes applying the ice pack on the mid-back helps stop or reduce the seizure and helps stop or reduce the post-ical stage. You can Google search the internet or ask your vet about this and show you where to apply the ice pack.

And some do the ocular compression. That is applying pressure on the dogs eyes while they are having a seizure. Ask your vet about this, if you are interested. As it has to be the right amount of pressure and not too hard. Sampson’s vet told us about this one.

Here’s a new one that I just heard about. Some are saying that if you see your dog going into a seizure, in a loud voice (don’t yell) say a phrase that the dog is familiar with and get the dogs attention. “Gunner you want a treat!” or “Gunner ready to play ball!” Apparently it works sometimes and stops the seizure. I’m going to remember this the next time Sampson has a seizure and see if it works.

Good luck on the 20th when you take Gunner to the neurologist. Be sure to write down all your questions ahead of time that you want to ask. This is a good opportunity to educate yourself. A good neurologist will listen to you and your concerns.

Keep us posted on how the visit goes.

Hugs,
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID

joanm456

Post by joanm456 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:37 pm

That's a very good idea, ask the vet the same questions you have here. And hopefully more before the 20th. You know it may sound crazy bur we humans have sympathy pains maybe dogs do to. Who knows??? Hoping all goes well and no radon.

PamelaC

Post by PamelaC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:27 am

Happy to report that we have been seizure free for over a week now. Shew... Thanks for all of the responses, they are great!

Gunner:
We just started using an ice pack on the last round of seizures and it seems to reduce the length of the seizure. We have discussed the twitches with the vet and he said they may be temporary. However if they continue, they unfortuneately may be a permenant paralysis. The muscle twitches he has are random and all over. For example, it may be his leg one time and then his whole body the next. We have noticed that the twitches only ocurr when he is relaxed.

My husband and I feel that we are begining to be able to notice behaviors pre-seizure. By recognizing these, we also feel that we might be able to prevent the seizure, is this crazy? For example, when he was panting and pacing we'll take him for a walk or play with him. We cannot be certain that we are helping, but in the past these were some of the things he was doing before the seizure occurred. Unfortunately, when he is sleeping it's too late when he jumps on you........the seizure will occurr w/i seconds of him doing this. Does anyone else feel they can detect when their dog will have a seizure?

Gunner makes a monthly visit to the vet, so that he can check his liver and increase his PB. Gunner was started on PB in August, 1/2 pill once a day and now we are at 1 1/2 pills 2X a day. I don't feel that the seizures are under control yet as he is still having them. Are no seizures what we are looking for when we say they are under control?

Sadie:
She seems to be feeling better and continues to be seizure free. I hope that the infections combined with the stress were triggering her episode of seizures. Time will tell.

Thanks for all of your support-
Pam, Gunner and Sadie
:)

PamelaC

Post by PamelaC » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Updates....

Gunner:
I posted last in the morning on January 17th. When I went home from work in the afternoon, Gunner had a seizure while in his kennel. From the looks of the position of the kennel and the surroundings it must have been a bad seizure. We feel so helpless.

Gunner went to a neurologist yesterday and they did a spinal tap. They believe that my other dogs seizures, Sadie, are not as a result of the infections and stress. They think it might be environmental; which is scary. If it is the environment, what is it doing to my children and my husband? What could it be? Oh, hurry up on the radon test results.

Thankfully Sadie hasn't had a seizure since Dec. 28th.

Here is what we have done:
~Had initial blood work done.....okay
~Had thyroid tested.....okay
~No longer using swiffer dry clothes as of December
~Switched from plastic watering system to stainless steel in December
~No longer cleaning tile with Spic n Span.....using vinegar and water as of December
~No longer giving rawhides
~Water tested....okay
~No longer using fragerant spray in bathrooms...hardly ever used anyway
~Verified with vet that no other animals had issues with vacinations
~Gunner spinal tap....done yesterday

I am open for other ideas....

God bless....

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Did you change your food or treats? If not, the manufacturer of your food could have changed or added something.
It might be worth a shot to try a different high quality food. No soy, wheat or corn. Ease off any dairy.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Pam, Gunner & Sadie,

Sounds like you are doing everything you can to help prevent Gunner’s seizures.

I am so happy that Sadie has not had another one!

Glad the ice pack has shorten the post-ical on Gunner. It can stop the seizure too if you can tell when Gunner is about to go into one and apply the ice pack.

I can tell when Sampson is about to go into one too! As long as it is when I am awake.

You know you have control of the seizures, when the seizure medications help reduce the seizure frequency. They can sometimes stop the seizures. But not always. Hopefully, you are one of the lucky ones and it does stop them. In Sampson’s case, the neuro would like to see the seizures be every 6 weeks instead of every 4.

I wonder what the neurologist meant by “environmental”????

Hugs,
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID

joanm456

Post by joanm456 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:17 am

Sorry to hear that gunner had another seizure. When you talk about the environment, how long have you lived there?? What kind os chemicals have been sprayed on the property??? Have you sprayed any chemicals on the property?? I see that you have controlled the inside chemicals, maybe its time to see whats been done outside, along with what your neighbors have sprayed.

joanm456

Post by joanm456 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:33 am

Pam, haven't heard anything from you in a while. I hope Gunner and Sadie are all right. Have the seizures stopped? Here's is something you might be interested in just in case it had anything to do with larvae, blue flies.