CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Seizures and car rides?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:26 pm 

Hi all - new to the board here.

My American Eskimo (5 y/o, ~27lbs) started having seizures this past October (2011). He had his first seizure Oct. 1, then another on Oct. 11., ~Nov. 23, ~Jan. 16, and most recently he had one on March 8 and another (within 24 hours) yesterday on March 9.

The one thing I can place my finger on is that Nov. 23rd (Thanksgiving) he had a seizure while we were driving in the car. Then Jan. 16 (MLK Holiday and I was traveling) he had a seizure in the car as well (except this time he was asleep). March 8 he had a seizure a few days after we did some travel to Orlando and Tampa (we arrived in Orlando 3/2 and in Tampa on 3/6),... and then March 9 he had a seizure a few hours after we got back home (~6 hour drive) from Tampa.

I know seizures can be triggered by stress... but I'm wondering about long car rides specifically. His typical pre-ictal behavior is to throw up and then start gagging about a minute before he goes into a seizure. The veterinarian told me that she doesn't typically see the throwing up right before a seizure in dogs, but that it may be characteristic for him. I guess I'm curious as to whether any one else has a dog with that type of pre-ictal behavior and whether car rides (due to dizziness/stress etc) may be triggering them (I'm sure they can make him nauseous)?

Note: He is on Zonisamide (75mg twice a day), but only started that on ~Jan. 18th after his fourth seizure. We'll be doing bloodwork come Monday to see if dosage needs to be increased or if we have to switch him to something else.

Zonisamide 100mg twice daily
Phenobarbital 32.4mg twice daily

Last edited by featheredwyngs on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Seizures and car rides?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:17 pm 

featheredwyngs,

Welcome aboard and sorry you had to join! :(

Different things are seizure triggers for different dogs. I myself do not find this to be a seizure trigger for Sampson.

Maybe someone that has this issue too will post.

I just wanted to welcome you aboard. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 250 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:36 pm 

Jake loves to ride in the car, but unfortunately after his first cluster seizure 2.5 years ago we discovered that any time the ride is longer than 6 hours, he'll seize within 24 hours. There have been a couple of times that it didn't happen, but our rule is no rides longer than 6 hours. Even though he sleeps most of the time during the trip it may well be that there's just too much excitement. We've never been able to figure out why. It's just another mystery. We also discovered that no matter how well he recovers from a seizure, if we take him for a ride of any length on the same day, he'll seize again within 24 hours, so unless there's an emergency, he's stays at home.

Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:39 pm 

Thank you for the warm welcome. It's so helpful to have a support group of others fighting the same battle. I adopted Remy when he was about 1.5 years old from a rescue organization. I wish I knew if he had any problems before that age or if it ran in his lines (which wouldn't be surprising - he's purebred, but his paperwork screams backyard breeder). I never had any success attempting to contact his old owners or breeder.

Lynne, your observations and experiences are very interesting and helpful. It's something that I really didn't think too much about until this latest cluster of seizures. We lived in Boston for a couple of years and didn't need a car. However, since moving to Florida, car rides have become a big part of our lives. Although he enjoys them, I think I'm certainly going to have to be more conscientious about traveling long distances with him. The first time he seized in the car, we'd only been on the road for one hour. He does sleep in the car, but tends to get a bit excited when we first take off.

One thing I've been debating: Given that stress can trigger seizures, when y'all go out of town (and don't have anyone who can babysit him), do you find that it's better to take your epi-puppy with you or to board him? Typically, I take him with me (or have my boyfriend babysit him at my place if I can't). I'm going to try to not submit him to long car rides if I can from now on... but there are times when no one is in town and boarding would be the only other option... but that seems more stressful than a long car ride (i.e., ~6-9hours). Thoughts?

Do you think that breaking up a long car ride would help (e.g., traveling 4 hours a day over two days, instead of 8 hours in one day)? Part of me feels that travel itself may just be tough on him now regardless. I know each dog is different of course -- but given the car ride mystery :) I'm open to any advice or opinions.

Zonisamide 100mg twice daily
Phenobarbital 32.4mg twice daily

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:25 am 

Gentle Jacob's mom wrote:
Jake loves to ride in the car, but unfortunately after his first cluster seizure 2.5 years ago we discovered that any time the ride is longer than 6 hours, he'll seize within 24 hours. There have been a couple of times that it didn't happen, but our rule is no rides longer than 6 hours. Even though he sleeps most of the time during the trip it may well be that there's just too much excitement. We've never been able to figure out why. It's just another mystery. We also discovered that no matter how well he recovers from a seizure, if we take him for a ride of any length on the same day, he'll seize again within 24 hours, so unless there's an emergency, he's stays at home.

Lynne

Have you discussed with doctor for sudden illness. You should approach experienced doctor and you will be able to know the reason why dog seizures while on trip. These might be some reason so that dog becomes suddenly ill.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:50 pm 

I always thought stress was Kiya's trigger. Her 1st seizure was the sunday after Thanksgiving in 2005. The following year that same sunday after Thanksgiving about the same time she had one. The 2nd year I had no company, the dogs had no turkey or anything other than normal food. She did have other seizures during that year but it was so strange like de ja vu.
Anyway she loves loves truck rides. The only time she had one in the truck was the first year when she clustered.
For mothers day a few weeks ago, I took her with me to my mom's over 200 miles away. I couldn't bring her in the house so I slept in the truck with her that night. I was a little worried she might have been confused why we didn't go home and of course trigger one, but she settled down and went to sleep.
So in her case the truck seems to have a calming effect, you can see in her face that she was content.
When ever I thought I figured it out I was wrong. I still dread Thanksgiving.

1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 10/19/13