New to epilepsy

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

LucyLou

New to epilepsy

Post by LucyLou » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi,

I am pleased to have found this forum. Our little Lucy, a two year old lab/beagle mix, had her first seizure in November 2011, a grand mal that came out of no where. We didn't realize how much that night would change things for our little pup.

After having 4 grand mals in 4 weeks, our vet put her on 1/2 grain of PB. She is 32 pounds. That held the seizures off for 29 days, but in January she had two focal seizures. My vet put her on zomisanide. Things seemed to get worse after that, and now seizures are 7-14 dys apart, almost always grand mal. She's had two sets of cluster seizures, one of which landed her in the ER. We now have valium suppositories, 5 mg to give at home.

I've done a fair bit of reading on the subject an I know we must be patient, but I'm just wondering if there is something else we should be doing.

seebr5640

Re: New to epilepsy

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:05 am

Welcome LucyLou and Lucy! :)

Sorry that you had to join..... :(

My epi-Sampson started out on Phenobarb, then potassium bromide and then Zonisamide. The comibination of these drugs did not help reduce his seizures.

However, when Levetiracetam (generic Keppra) was added in December 2011, that was what has made a big difference in his seizures. His seizures (grandmals) were consistently once a month and sometimes with clusters. He has yet had a seizure since the Keppra was added in December 2011! I don't know if it is the Keppra or the combination of drugs. But we are also in the process of reducing his phenobarb. And I eventually want him weaned off of Zonisamide.

Talk to your vet/neruologist about adding Keppra.

Good Luck and keep us posted! :)
Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 48.6 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 500 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Vitamins/Minerals & Vitamin B Complex w/Iron
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

LucyLou

Post by LucyLou » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:59 am

Thank you. I will mention Keppra at our next visit. I feel like she was put on Zonisamide too quickly, before they even tried upping her Pb. My vet has never mentioned potassiam bromide. I would like to see her taken off the zonisamide, since it doesn't seem to have done any good, and maybe try Keppra.

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:05 am

My vet neurologist added Keppra to Cali for her cluster seizures earlier this year, she said it works great for reducing the clusters. Once Cali has a grand mal seizure, we give her the Keppra every 8 hours until she is seizure free for 2-3 days. Since we added the Keppra, she has had seizures, but not any cluster seizures. She used to have 4-5 over a 24 hour period. Although, instead of having cluster seizures every 6 weeks, she has had 3 in the past 3 1/2 weeks.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day