how much zonisamide can dogs take?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

cesullivan

how much zonisamide can dogs take?

Post by cesullivan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Cali, 64 pound 2YO female lab/chow mix has had Grand Mal seizures since August 2011. Bloodwork and liver tests fine, eats Orijen food.
Seizures started out 1 or 2 every 6 weeks, then went to clustering a grand mal every 4-5 hours for 24 hours...about every 6 weeks...she has gone from 150MG 2xs/day of Zonisamide to her current meds:
400MG Zonisamide 2xs/day
1 Grain Phenobarbital 2xs/day
750MG Keppra 3xs/day for 3 days if she has a seizure.
She seizured 3/16, 3/22 and 4/9, only one each day since we added the Keppra after her first seizure of the day (happy the clustering is gone).

The vet neurologist wants to up either her PB (her levels are 23) or her Zonisamide (500MG 2xs/day)...she doesn't have a preference of which one...

Is anyone giving their 64 pound dog 1000MG of Zonisamide a day? Stressed out doggie lover...
Thanks much,
Chris & Cali, and big sis Bandit
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: how much zonisamide can dogs take?

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:37 am

Hi Chris,
Jake isn't on Zonisamide, but he is on Keppra. I was wondering why your vet has Cali on Keppra only for 3 days after a seizure? Jake takes his 4x a day, everyday. He used to take it 3x a day, then we switched to 4 (same total mgs) when we discovered he metabolized it too quickly. They have found that Pb can affect how well a dog metabolizes Keppra. Since then we've gained about an extra week between seizures, but the severity has dropped significantly. He used to have violent seizures with post ictal pacing, and occasional clusters. Now he shakes for about 15 seconds, and goes to sleep, with no post ictal. You might want to suggest at least trying Keppra 3x a day to see if you can get more time between seizures.
I'm sorry you're having to go through this. We're here if you need us.
Take Care,
Lynne

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks for the reply...the neurologist said that the Keppra is great for controlling cluster seizures so she wants me to use the Keppra to stop the clusters, thus giving after the first seizure...and so far, it has stopped the 4-5 she would have in the 24 hours seizure period.

I have posted a few of her seizures on youtube. The first one was the last 15 seconds of the 2 minute seizure and the second was while she was at the dog sitter, the last 1/2 of her 3rd seizure of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn8QJ6IZ ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIhoVgV ... ure=relmfu
Cluster Grand Mals
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Chris,

When we commenced Spencer on Keppra, it was inferred that it would take a week or two to establish a therapeutic level based on the regular 3X daily doses. (Keppra was commenced after a duration of incremental pheno & incremental KBrom, around 18 months from his first fit).

Spencer's fits were initially one here&there but he began to cluster, hence the progression through pheno, KBrom and Keppra. Now after any first fit, our first line of cluster prevention is diazepam oral, which in the last few episodes seems to have worked well.

I have heard of a 'valium protocol' but I am yet to establish what exactly this protocol is. I have a rectal solution in the event of a Status Epilepticus, and I have tablets as a preventative as described above - this has been arranged in consultaion with my vet. Perhaps discuss this with your vet.

As Lynne commented re Jake, Spencer's post ictal phase is markedly less dramatic than it used to be. Spencer will have short period of pacing, a lot - but less than usual post ictal thirst, and then after a good carbohydrate fix he'll settle down to sleep. After his last few fits he has had nil to minimal post ictal blindness &/or discoordination.
He does seem to be more (a lot more) affectionate in his post ictal phase, wanting to sleep on the lounge next to me.

(On these levels of drugs, Spencer has all the old energy and coordination to run, play & fetch - but always at rest he is just more sleepy).

Sorry, I have no experience with Zonisamide. It has only recently been approved in Australia for people.

Having read through many stories on CEN, I am ... perplexed ... at the variations in which drug is first commenced, which is added, and the various combinations used. I can only presume it is what a vet is familiar with.

I hope, whatever combination you use, that you will gain greater seizure control in Cali and get back to a happier life with her.

Regards,
Trevor.

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Vet neuro just emailed, we are going to have her zonisamide levels checked before we raise the meds...they were tested when she was on 150mg 2xs/day, now she is up to 400mg 2xs/day...oh the fun of it all :(
Cluster Grand Mals
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Chris,

My 39 pound epi-Sampson is on Zonisamide 300 mg twice a day. The Zonisamide has NOT helped control his seizures as he would continue to have at least one grandmal a month and sometimes clustered. Sampson's therapeutic range is way past the normal high end number. The previous neuro stated that sometimes a drug will need to be over the normal high end therapeutic range in order to maintain good seizure control. When increasing a drug, you check the therapeutic range as well as the clinical signs. Some dogs can handle higher dosages than others.

It was not until we added the Keppra 250 mg did the seizures get under control. We started Keppra 250 mg twice a day on 11/23/11. Sampson's last seizure was 12/30/2011 and at this point we increased the Keppra 250 mg to three times a day.

On 03/15/12, the Keppra was increased from 250 mg to 500 mg three times a day, because the neuro wanted to reduce the Pb from 64.8 mg b.i.d. to 48.6 mg b.i.d.

Sampson last seizure is still 12/30/2011 and this is a milestone for him. He has never been seizure free past a month. This is over 3 months!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 48.6 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 500 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Vitamins/Minerals & Vitamin B Complex w/Iron
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks Barb and Sampson...I did the Z test on Cali this morning...from there I'll ask about adding the Keppra daily...I thought the neuro said the keppra was good for clustering but not as good for prevention...to much info, to fast...I'll ask once we get the results.

Taking it one day at a time...
almost 7 days seizure free!!!
Chris, Cali and Bandit
Cluster Grand Mals
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Well, her Zonisamide level was 38 (range is 10-40)...now just waiting for the neuro to decide what to do next...my regular vet didn't think we would be adding any more Z...
Cluster Grand Mals
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Well, we are not going to change the Zonisamide, but we are going to add Keppra XR. Since the Pheno Barbital seems to have done nothing, we are probably going to remove that (slowly) once we see if the Keppra XR is working.

Anyone have Keppra XR experience? Picking it up tomorrow from Costco.

Thanks,
Chris
Cluster Grand Mals
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day