Cluster Seizure in Newly Adopted GS

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

TMeek

Cluster Seizure in Newly Adopted GS

Post by TMeek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Well I'm sad to be writing this though glad you are reading it.
My wife, 7 year old son and I adopted a 2 year old German Shepherd 2 weeks ago. Last night around 11:30pm he had a massive seizure followed by two more very violent, dissorienting siezures. We were able to crate him and get him to the hospital by 1:30am. The family is upset and we are contemplating what to do for the future. Hydro has been a great dog for the last two weeks but Im worried his temperment has changed. The Phenobarb (64mg every 12) is making him pace, whine, and he is using his nose as a canine bulldozer moving whatever is in his way. We need advice on commiting to this or bailing out before he decides we are his people. I'm not sure I can trust him with my son when he is drugged.?

Thanks for the advice.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Cluster Seizure in Newly Adopted GS

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am

I'm sorry you had to join us, and that you and your family are going through this. I know the beginning phase of this is exhausting and makes you wonder what you should do 24/7. I understand that you are concerned for your son's safety. I would be too, but I think there is a way that you can keep both your son and Hydro safe. First, have you told your vet about his behavior? It's possible that the vet could give Hydro something to calm him. There is something called Rescue Remedy that could help. We've used it for Jake for everything from after effects of seizures to his fear of thunderstorms. Several epi dog owners here have used it with success. You can get it at any health food store. Three drops under the tongue to start (Or in his water.) I would also look into a vet that can evaluate Hydro that has experience in both conventional and holistic treatments. There are several different avenues there. The more you know, will help keep the panic levels for your family under control. If you're upset, Hydro will know and it will affect they way he acts. Is there a room or area that you can keep him, to keep him and your son separated for a short period? The Pb takes a few weeks before the side effects calm down. Usually somewhere between 2-3 weeks you should see a marked improvement. Or is there someone that could help you care for him until his side effects level out? I definitely wouldn't give up at this point. You and your family are tired and scared. That's not where you want to be when you make a decision like this. Put Hydro in an extra room and remove anything that he could eat or get hurt around, and try to take a break. Also, if they gave him a loading dose at the hospital I'm sure he's still reacting from that. It could take a few days to a week for that to level out.
I hope this helps. I know you're concerned, but don't give up on Hydro.

TMeek

Post by TMeek » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks Jacob's Mom. We are in it for the duration.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:09 am

I'm so glad to hear that. When you're tired and scared this can be so overwhelming. We've been in it with Jake for going on seven years. Jake's refractory, and we've been asked many times if we had it to over again, knowing what we know, would we? We've never hesitated to say "In a heartbeat". It's not because we're so great, it's because Jake is. My husband and I have learned so much about ourselves from him and this experience. I used to be pretty whimpy when it came to standing up for myself etc. Let someone say anything about how ridiculous we are for doing this, and my momma lion wakes up. We've learned to tolerate a lot of things that we may not have before. The only thing that hasn't changed is my anger toward this disease, breeders who turn a blind eye, and how unfair it is to the dogs, and their families. Everyone is here for you whenever you need us. I can tell you without a doubt, my husband and I wouldn't have made it this far with Jake without the amazing support that you'll find here.
Keep us posted,
Take Care,
Lynne

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:31 am

So sorry to hear about your dog. Sad to say the previous owners may have dumped him because of the seizure. Thank you for not giving up on him. Once he adjusts to the meds you should be fine. Please have patience it could take longer than 2 weeks. It took Kiya (and myself) a few months to adjust. Always take precautions with your child. I would definately seek obedience classes so your child is able to handle the dog properly.
I've been in this for over 6 years now and Kiya has lead a fine life with her seizures. I hope your dog has good control with the meds.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

Apache

Post by Apache » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi, TMeek,

Sorry you had to join us. I, too, own a German Shepherd named Apache. He is currently 4 years and 3 months old. He was diagnosed with Epilepsy at the age of 1 1/2. We've had our shares of ups and downs, but we trudge along in hopes of one day, expanding his seizure-free runs to months rather than weeks. I'm happy to hear that you've all decided to stick with Hydro. I can tell you, though, it isn't always easy dealing with an Epileptic dog. You may be one of the fortunate ones and that Hydro may respond very well to the prescribed medication. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and please keep us posted!

Was Hydro just put on the Phenobarbital? It certainly sounds like it. The pacing and whining is typical when your dog is first introduced to Pheno, but it does get a whole lot better in weeks to come. Hydro is trying his utmost to adjust to the medication. Our guy would also get moody at times but we never really had to worry about his temperment towards us. In your case you must remember that you've only had Hydro for 2 weeks now. German Shepherds are very quick in adopting the family, (their family) but he's also going through a separate ordeal now, too. With any new dog, just use caution and try and involve your son in all activities you may have going with Hydro,...providing you're there. Is there anything in particular that Hydro is doing that worries you more than anything else?

Anyway, welcome to the board. It will get better with time, it just takes a whole lot of patience and the proper meds.

Brian

TMeek

Post by TMeek » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:30 am

Thanks all for the input. Brian...yes Hydro is on Phenobarb, 64mg every 12hours. We just started another round of cluster siezures tonight (it's 1:57am as I type this). I waited to give him his rectal valium dosage until the start of the second siezure. I'm contemplating a second 5mg of valium if he siezes again. I crated him after the second sieze leaving the door open and added a fan after the third. He seems much more relaxed with the fan. We are on the longest tweak free stretch yet....1 hour and ten minutes. The house smells like pee, glans, medicine and carpet cleaner. I had to rub Vicks under my nose like a television detective investigating a ripe cadaver. Woweee this is not fun.

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi,
Sorry you had to join...it's been a year for me and it is still heart wrenching to watch. Cali is a cluster dog as well. Once the vet neurolgist added 500MG Keppra 3xs a day for 3 days after she has her first seizure, the clusters have "so far" gone away (not the seizures, just the multiples after the first dose).

Saying that, she did have 3 seizures this morning, all within 20 minutes so the Keppra wasn't in her system yet. But it has been 5 hours and she is cuddled with her pillow on the couch.

Best of luck.
Chris & Cali
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day