Belgian Malinois with seizures

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

julie199

Belgian Malinois with seizures

Post by julie199 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 am

I am new to this forum. I have a 1 1/2 year old Belgian Malinois I adopted due to her handicap state. She was diagnosed with an unknown form of Cerebellum disease at the University of MO. Thinking that it might be cerebral abiotrophy but after the spinal tap for about 3 weeks she went back to being completly normal so now the vets think it might be a pressure issue with too much cerebral spinal fluid. I just started giving her Prilosec for that but after research found out it may cause stomach cancer so...we will try it for a bit then if it does not help stop it. Back to the seizures...Zeva had her first one on Sunday and they were very bad. Several in a row and it was probably the most horrifying thing I have ever witnessed. It seemed like they went on for hours and afterwards her liver and kidney enzymes were off the charts but now they are back to normal, thank goodness. The vet put her on liver support pills and Keppra, 500 mg three times a day.

After reading about the Keppra I see that most dogs are on a combination of several medications and this worries me that she is only on one. I also read about a honeymoon phase with this drug and that it may work for 8 months and then not work at all. I am so worried about her and have not been back to work since the episode. I am afraid to leave her alone because what would she do if I was not here and had a seizure? How do you leave them even for a minute?

Is anyone elses baby only on one drug? Has anyone else had good luck with Keppra? Is there any supplements I should be giving her? She has always been on a grain free gluten free diet. I am sorry for all of the questions but I have never had a dog with this problem. Bless you all for any input and I hope that they find a reason for this darn disease soon!

Anilasunny30

Re: Belgian Malinois with seizures

Post by Anilasunny30 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:19 am

It is great to hear that more and more individuals are choosing o adopt pets with problems. Good Thought. They will get a good home too...
Broken glass windows can be a hazard for your health. It is good that you replace them at the earliest. Contact us for more details.

Apache

Re: Belgian Malinois with seizures

Post by Apache » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Hats off to you for adopting a handicapped pet! Sorry, though, that Zeva is now experiencing seizures.

Our guy, Apache, has been primarily on one drug, and that is Phenobarbital. We went the Keppra route for a year, (as an addition to Pheno) and it didn't really work for him. Mind you, some have had great success with Keppra. (I'm questioning any drugs at the moment, mind you).

Has she had any seizures since the last time you posted? Curious.

>How do you leave them even for a minute?

My wife and I do that from Monday to Friday 7:30 - 4:30 every week. I'm home every noon hour and if he has had seizures in the morning, (you can tell) one of us takes off work for the afternoon. Nerves are a bit fried, but it can be handled, although I'm not certain of your current circumstances. They may be more difficult to deal with.

Brian