Increase in seizures with starting Phenobarbital?

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

aking8488

Increase in seizures with starting Phenobarbital?

Post by aking8488 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Has anyone else experienced an increase in seizures when they first started Pheno? We just started Pheno today and she had her first daytime seizure in months. She just seized again as I am writing this. Thanks in advance.

Apache

Re: Increase in seizures with starting Phenobarbital?

Post by Apache » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:30 pm

In our case, that didn't happen. You must understand that it takes time for the medication to work. And, if this disease has taught me anything, expect the unexpected. Our guy has been going through this for almost 4 years now, and believe me, the patterns change. Just when you think you have a grip on things, it throws you a curve ball. Night time, daytime, mid-afternoon,...etc. What is required is a lot of patience.

Wishing you, and everyone else that has to deal with this the best of luck!

Brian

aking8488

Post by aking8488 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Yep, thanks! I realized that as focused as I was on the Pheno, I had forgotten to give her the Keppra in the morning. That likely did it as her last dose had been the night before and as you said, there is no consistency or predictability with this disease.

Dozer

Post by Dozer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:33 pm

have you guys found your dog to be more touchy with stuff, like kinda jittery around certain things

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am

Yes, Cali is very unusual on her drugs. She will leave the room if you sneeze, go under the dining room table if the tv is too loud, she never barked, but now she will jump up and bark if she hears a strange noise outside. And she is finally coming back around, but for about a year, she was afraid to come into the bedroom if she "thought" I was going to take a shower.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day