Border Collie that clusters

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Pauly the BC

Border Collie that clusters

Post by Pauly the BC » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Hello!

I am the proud owner of an almost 3 year old border collie named Pauly.

Pauly had his first seizure on evening of December 6th, 2012 and was aggressive after. I rushed him to the emergency clinic in case he ate something that was bad for him, but after running blood work and a physical exam he was given the clear and I was told it was likely epilepsy. No meds where prescribed at this time, just in case it was a one time thing. But was told it likely would not be.

His next seizure was around midnight of February 9th. He had another one a couple hours later. After the second seizure I took him to the Vet. While at the vet he had 4 more Grand mals and more foci then could be counted. He was put on phenobarbital (60mg BID) and was started in a Valium dip that was later changed to a phenobarbital dip as the Valium was not doing what was wanted. That evening he was transferred to the emergency clinic for the weekend. At the EC the cluster finally broke! He was sent home but still had some foci seizures in the car and at home for the first 48 hours at home.

Had 3 seizures between February and April.

In April he was started on KBr. He hated it, had to give it directly to him as he would not eat it on his food.

Had 8 seizure days between April and June, with 2 days having 3+ seizures.

On June 24th 2013 he clustered starting at 440am. He had 8 grand mals and 15 facial foci. He was taken to the vet and put on a Valium dip and something to keep him calm. At this time the vet took him off the KBr and started him on Zonisamide.

On July 2nd he stared his Zonisamide, took me that long to get it here where I live!

Once he started on the Zonisamide we started to see some lager space between seizures, with his largest space between being 20 days.

But as of August 7th, 2013 we are back to having seizures every 7 days (every Thursday for some reason). The seizures are more mild and very short in length (longest being 2 mins) and he seems to be himself much faster.

I am feeling very discouraged with the loss of space between then seizures. I feel like we are not making progress and that he is not able to do fun dog things! He is my agility dog but we have taken the summer off in hope of getting some control. I hope he is feeling well enough to start back next week.

Thanks for the add, it is nice to know I am not the only one going thorough this!
Pauly
DOB: October 1st, 2010
First Seizure: December 6th, 2012
Last seizure: October 25 (only 10days between)
Longest between seizures: 25 days! Longest yet!
Medications:
Phenobarbitol 90mg BID
Zonisamide 225mg BID
KBr 2.3ml once daily

aking8488

Re: Border Collie that clusters

Post by aking8488 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:21 pm

I can completely sympathize with what you're going through. Although you will see this posted here a lot, be patient. Epilepsy is an elusive disease and it may take several combinations and dosages of drugs before the right combination in found. Unfortunately, it is an expensive process, as well. We didn't get a good night's sleep for nearly 4 months but things have finally quieted down and our poodle is on three medications now, Keppra (liquid), zonisamide, and Pheno. But for my wife, we probably wouldn't have our dog and I'm so grateful she prevented me on three occasions from calling it quits. Like your dog, Jasmine is quite young, not even two years old yet.

Good luck! I WILL get better.

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:01 am

Welcome and sorry you had to join us. It took us over a year to finally get the drug combo that worked for Cali. My neurologist said that she is one of those difficult cases as the zonisamide, keppra xr and phenobarbital didn't work. When we finally added Potassium Bromide we went 7 months seizure free (then a 10 seizure cluster day and 2 days in the ER). So now she is on Potassium Bromide and phenobarbital. She is finally used to the meds and they don't make her as wacky as she used to be.

Best of luck and hang in there, it will be a difficult struggle, but you can conquer.
Chris & Cali
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:34 pm

HI Pauly, ... welcome aboard ... glad your here among friends ...

I'm sure as time goes along you'll see that this disease have's it's inconsistencies ... what works for one doesn't work for another ... it will take time ... trial and error ... good days and bad ... hang in there and with time if you find the right combo of meds. (and that changes from time to time) you two can get back to all the fun stuff ... enjoy the moments you do have ...

best of everything and keep posting how it's going ...

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Pauly the BC

Post by Pauly the BC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Pauly was started back on KBr on August 30th.

He is now on:
Zonisamide 225mg 2x daily
Phenobarbitol 90mg 2x daily
KBr 2.3ml 1x daily

He is very unsteady on his feet and is sleeping most of the time. He will and wants to play and run as long as you want to. He will not be starting back at agility until he gets his balance under control, as his health and safety is my top concern!

Vet told me it will like be 12 weeks for him to get used to this drug combo!
Fingers crossed we get something out of this one!
Pauly
Medications:
Phenobarbitol 90mg BID
Zonisamide 225mg BID
KBr 2.3ml once daily

Pauly the BC

Post by Pauly the BC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:15 pm

25 days between Seizures! Our longest time between since we started on this journey!

And the best part? I am pretty sure that they where not grand mals. It was just a facial action (drooling, snapping jaws), not falling and he seem to be a wake! And he is acting like his self again (a dog that I have not seen in over 9 months).

This is a huge improvement from what we where having and has given me some hope that he may be ready to get back in to adjility soon!
Pauly
Medications:
Phenobarbitol 90mg BID
Zonisamide 225mg BID
KBr 2.3ml once daily