My story ... so far

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Chris Douglas

Re: My story ... so far

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:59 am

hi trevor and spencer,

thanks for the welcome and all the info. ... I went back and reread the "basic's" ... and still find it so overwhelming in length and content ... to the point of being mind numbing ... data-overload to a brain with low RAM ... :lol:

just curious ... did you post a pic here ... if so what page is it on cause I don't wanna miss it ... :D
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:23 am

Lynne,

just found your pic's of Jacob and Chaco ... what beautiful guys they are!!!!!!
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:39 am

Hi Chris,

I have posted a photo but in a different topic: in “new to canine epilepsy”, 6 October 2012, Michelle started a discussion on medical alert tags, to which I added a photo of Spencer (more about the tag than Spencer).

You have posted a great photo of Molly – she is a sweet looking dog.

Brain overload – absolutely for now, but you will come to understand this disease too well. It seems that many dogs present differently and respond to treatment differently. We all go through our own individual (but similar) journey of seeking & eliminating triggers, getting the right combination & doses of medication to control* the disease, and learning to manage ‘the new everyday lifestyle’ & get through the crisis moments. (*I have never felt in control since Spencer’s first fit but I can’t think of another term to use).

This whole forum is a great source of info & comfort as we go through our own journeys, and there are a number of particularly wise and sensitive individuals who have helped me specifically. I suspect that you will also find this.

Thanks to all.

Trevor & Spencer

Grateful for the good days, weeks (months).

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 am

thanks Trevor,

thanks for your compliment on Molly's pic and your right, she is sweet ... had she not been born a dog she surely woulda been born a lamb ... :wink:

found it ... and wow, what a handsome guy Spencer is!!! ... springer spaniel? ... and what a great idea about the medical tags ... seems though that for a lot of the epi-dogs their med's are being tweaked to find what works best so it could be interesting trying to keep the tags up to date ... but from what I saw from the links posted by barb I could hang a couple of pounds worth of tags around Molly neck, everything from being deaf, to epilepsy, to micro-chipped, and one for contact info. ... :lol: ... there went that paycheck ...

I read in "success stories" > 7.5 good weeks your last post was Mar.23, ... how is it going for you and spencer? ... hope everything got better ...
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:43 am

Hi Chris,
I'm going to apologize anyway. I should know better, because we have 7 friends named Chris and 2 are women. We've used rectal gel valium for about 6 years along with Pb, and Keppra was added three years ago. The Valium should be kept at room temperature so there really isn't any special storage issues. From what we were told when we started Jake on meds, an epi dog can live as long as any dog. Jake's refractory and just turned nine. There are some whose dogs live well into their teens, so don't be discouraged. I'll tell you what my oncologist told me ten years ago when I thought I wasn't going to be around very much longer. He said "Statistics are just numbers that have absolutely nothing to do with you, and your job is to show them they're wrong." I think Jake heard me say that at some point because he certainly fits into that category. (Luckily so do I!) I would say that besides watching your beloved dog go through this, keeping seizures from becoming a pattern is one of the most difficult things. We've never gotten Jake out of the 2-3 week span, and he goes through some periods where we can't get him to 2 weeks. Our biggest accomplishment was when we switched him to a 4x a day Keppra regimen, his seizures became dramatically milder, and his post ictal, that used to last for at least 45 minutes, was completely gone. I do hope Molly's seizures become controlled. This disease can be terribly heartbreaking, but these dogs keep encouraging us to fight hard right along with them. I've been asked if I'd do it all over again, and I always say, "In a heartbeat." I've learned so much from Jake, and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.
By the way, Molly is a sweetheart! Yes, Jake and Chaco are our babies, and believe me Chaco knows she's cute!

Good luck and keep us posted.
From one mom to another,
Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:21 pm

:lol: ... k .... "my turn, my turn" ... sorry Chaco you beautiful girl ... :D

I like the idea of gel or suppositories better the the tablet that doesn't work quick enough ... gotta thank all of you for all your help ... so yesterday before work I couldn't keep her outta the shower with me ... and today she's roaming thru the shower on her own ... think she's tellin me something besides "I'm getting back to being myself" ... and for the 1st time since I don't know when she got her "tug o' war" toy and drove me nuts with it, after I played out she played by herself, throwing it and attacking it while play growling ...shakin the tar outta it and throwing it again, ... and again ...this went of for a good hour or more

so how do u manage the 4X a day dosing and get any sleep ... or do y'all have help from someone else ...

there's lots of thing in life I might change if I could ... especially the invisible demon :twisted: that attacks my girl molly ... but as for whether I ever change having her in my life if I had know about all this beforehand .... never ... "she's my baby-girl" ♥♥♥♥
Last edited by Chris Douglas on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:46 pm

hey Ellen,

you still out there? ... just curious did you ever post a pic of kip here on this site? ... I'd sure like to see it if I could ... :D
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:34 am

Hi Chris,
Welcome...you may want to ask your vet about giving and extra dose of Keppra in you notice a seizure coming on or if your pup has one. My neurologist said the Keppra is a very safe drug and can be increased if her actions lead me to believe she is going to seize or if she has a seizure. Cali is a cluster pup on Potassium Bromide (the drug that works for her) and Phenobarbital. I have the Keppra for when I think she is going to seize and for when she does have a seizure, the goal is it will help break her cluster seizures (she has 4-10 grand mals once she starts). I have also been given injectable Keppra (over $80 a shot). I give her the keppra shot (intra muscular, 500MG) after each seizure (up to 3) and also give her the oral Keppra, 750MG 3x's day to stop her cluster. So, for example during her last cluster, I gave her the 750MG pill and two 500MG shots within a few hours (she's 62 pounds).

Oh, and like you, I did everything under the sun to not put her on meds. She was having seizures every 2 weeks give or take a day while on max levels of three drugs. It wasn't until we put her on the Potassium Bromide that we made it 7 months and were able to taper her off all the other meds (then had to add Pheno back in after her 48 hours in the ER and 10 seizures).

Chris (Cali's mom)
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Chris .... thanks for posting ... always great to hear from people who understand what we go thru ...

yes .... the vet mentioned I could give her an extra Keppra (and that wouldn't reset her normal med time, for us it's 1am/1pm) if she seized to help stop her from clustering ... thanks for reminding me of it cause I had forgot that part ... I had been using the valium tablets rectally during the 1st seizure but it doesn't work quick enough to keep her from clustering .... have a request for a "call me back" to the vet as I write this to find out about gel/suppository valium ... the vet here is only here for 2 days a weeks so hard to get help sometimes ...

congrats to you and Cali on your long reprieve ... enjoy it to the max ... :D :D :D

many blessings to you and your's ...
Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:52 pm

so I'm attempting to get the gel or suppository valium by asking the vet to give me a "call back" at her convenience ... the next day(this morning) I checked my voice mail and listened to a message from her receptionist saying ... "as far as gel/suppository valium we can't do that" ... hmmmm, ... :shock:
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Chris,

I just put two pix of Kip in the photo gallery. Molly is so cute! I hope she is still doing well and that you two enjoy a great weekend. :D
Ellen and Kip
Corgi/Lab/Shepherd mix - 50 lb
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1250 mg Levetiracetam (Keppra) TID
1st seizure 11/15/2012
In doggie heaven 8/20/13 :-(

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:41 am

thanks Ellen,

for the head's up on your posting pic's, your compliments about Molly, and for posting the pic's of Kip ... what a great looking guy ... and I can see sooo much personality in his eyes and expression ... especially in the last pic you posted ... ahahahaha ... thanks again for sharing ...♥♥♥♥

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:56 am

Ask the receptionist if it is because they can't prescribe it and have you take it to a compounding pharmacy or they won't prescribe it.
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:36 pm

hi Chris,

I posted that in "call for help" ... ♥

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 pm

so it's been a week ... actually I've spent the last 4 of my weekends trying to get the help I need to help my dog ... to no avail ...

1. can't get liquid valium
2. can't get gel valium
3. can't get suppository valium
4. can't even talk to this vet or another vet office without an appointment $$$
5. can't get prescriptions refilled without 3 days notice

about the only question I have left (at this moment) is there anything in Purina Beneful that cause's seizure's ... it might not be the healthiest like home cooking or holistic dog food but I can't find anything seizure causing in it ...
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13