My story ... so far

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

MK's mom

Re: My story ... so far

Post by MK's mom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:39 am

Hang in there Chris, Molly's pacing will improve. It DOES drive us totally bat-s**t, but we have to put up with it until it gets better....and it will! It's only been a couple of days, are you seeing it get a little better each day?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi Vivian,

aaahh ... still pacing about the same ... maybe more and better only cause she seem's a lil' more steady on her feet which help's her go, go, go, more and still bumping into everything and dribbling constantly as the water goes straight thru her ... I'm sure it'll get better with time, I hope :D

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Chris,

It could take her a bit to adjust to the PB every dog is different and some are more sensitive to their feelings than others. It wouldn't surprise me either if she's still feeling the effects of having so many seizures so recently. hang in there.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Colleen,

I'm sure that what I'm seeing is probably a combo of the post-ictal phase and the new med of Pb being added ... she hasn't had a bad round of seizure's in 3 mos. ... everything's has been single mild seizure's spaced out usually starting in the evening and ending the next morning with a total of 3 or 4 seizure's but each being mild ... that's part of the reason why I thought we were on to something good and all we needed to do was to find a way to get more time between these rounds ... guess I shoulda been happy with mild rounds every 10/11 days or 14 days ... now it's like starting all over, only this time with PB and keppra ...

that makes me wonder ... what's everyone's thoughts about what I should do when she has her next round of seizure's ... give an extra dose of ... PB, Keppra, and/or a valium tablet ... or what combo of these ... and at what point after her last dosing of the PB/Keppra is it ok to do it ... then do I keep her normal dosing time after that?

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Chris,
I'll tell you what our vet told me. As soon as it's possible give and extra dose of Pb after a seizure. Even if you just gave the normal dose minutes before the seizure. We give it in ice cream and Jake loves it. As far as the Keppra, if you suspect Molly is headed for another seizure give her the extra 250 mgs. You may be able to give them together after a seizure but I don't know about that. We normally give Pb and Clorazepate together. If someone else here gives them together they can tell you. Otherwise you'll have to try to get that information from your vet. (I'm using that term very loosely) Actually why don't you call your pharmacy? You might get better information. If you don't, go online and find a pharmacy that specializes in animal meds, and you might be able to ask them about the Keppra/Pb after a seizure.
I don't know about Valium tablets, and when to give that. Didn't your vet tell you you could use the tablet rectally? I haven't heard of that, but maybe someone here has.

Lynne

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Good evening Chris and Molly!

When Winston was on Pheno alone, my vet told me I could give an extra half if a seizure occurred. We have not really discussed it since the Keppra was added but after reading a lot of other posts, publications, etc., I gave an extra 1/2 Keppra when he had the one on Sunday as it is much less damaging to the system (at least from what has been published so far) and a full Valium. I administer oral Valium after the first Grand Mal seizure, sometimes a half if the seizure is not bad. A full 10 mg if it is a bad one. I also administer oral Valium if I have to work the next day and give it when I leave. If I notice Winston getting "weird" I will give a 1/2 a Valium, which is not too often, but he has had situational Grand Mals when he gets too over-excited (i.e., work on the house, too many stimulations outside) and I play it by ear. I have only given the rectal Valium once and that was when he had two Grand Mals in a 12-hour period after his long stretch after adding Keppra. It worked. Now, my vet did not give me the injectable Valium as is recommended. The pharmacist gave me liquid oral valium, but it was still effective. I only gave him half of the recommended dose and it took about 15 minutes and he was quiet and did not have another seizure until this past week, which was, so far (paws crossed), isolated. I would ask a vet/pharmacist re: her size and dosing. It is important to know what the max is and what kind of wiggle room you do have with the medication. I try to stay on the low side before going to the bigger dose of anything.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:06 am

Hi Chris,
Just caught up on this post...heart breaking...
I tried everything for Cali, Zonisamide (400MG 2x/day, Keppra 3x/s day, Keppra XR 2xs/day, Pheno every 12 hours (as close to 12 hours as possible due to the short half life) and she was still clustering every 2 weeks. Then I started the Potassium Bromide and weaned her off all other meds and we went 7 months before she seized. Because she had a 10 cluster day, we added back in the Pheno to the Potassium Bromide and she is over the 6 month mark. I only give the Keppra if she starts having seizures. The neurologist said it is a very safe drug.

She is currently on 1,650MG Potassium Bromide 1x/day and 64MG Phenobarbital 2xs/day and Keppra 750MG if she clusters 3xs/day for 3 days and the Keppra injectable shots.

The neurologist said that some dogs, especially larger dogs, tend to respond best to Pot.Bro and she has no idea why.

Chris & Cali
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:17 am

hi Lynne,
thanks ... yes the vet said I could give her a valium rectally as soon as she start's into a seizure which I've done ton's f times and then again orrally as soon as she wakes up and can swallow safely ... and I have in the past given a keppra orally as soon as I could but alway's made sure it was past the 3.5 hour half life of keppra since her last dosing of the keppra before giving any more of it ... don't know anything about the pb ... but being able to give her an extra dose of it as soon as possible like you say makes me feel better ... right now she get her pb and keppra at the same time every 12 hours so I guess I could give both then as soon as it's safe for her to swallow it after a seizure ...

"Otherwise you'll have to try to get that information from your vet. (I'm using that term very loosely)" ... ahahahahahahaha ... thanks Lynne for the best laugh I've had in a long time ... I really needed it!!! I will if I have to ask her but am trying to give myself a break from her for a while, I hope ...

Hi Cynthia,
Thanks, ... I have thought about giving a valium before leaving for work like you but was always concerned if I used it too much then maybe it wouldn't work as will when I needed it most after a seizure ... even thought of it since starting the Pb since she's wound tighter than an 8 day clock and can't seem to sit/lay still for moer than a few minutes at a time ... nuttin like a dog bouncing offa the wall like a pin ball machine ... lol ... I checked the Pb and keppra tablets and they are scored in the middle so if I got a pill cutter I cut cut them pretty easy ... or just give a full pill of each after the seizure ... so far every med we've tried I've asked for and was given the lower end of the dosing so we would have room to go up if needed, which is why we have the 250 mg keppra ... can't ask the pharmacist anything about dosing cause he just refer's me back to the vet ...

Hi Chris,
Thanks, ... Molly and Cali have the every 2 week thing in common ... hoping to someday be able to say Molly's gone month's without a seizure like cali ... looks like the p. bromide and the Pb/bromide worked really good for Cali ... have you had any salt intake issues with the bromide like some I've heard of?

well, it's looking like I could give all 3 - Pb, keppra, and valium tablet as soon as possible after a seizure ... thanks everyone for helping me to feel a lil' more informed about what to do when the time comes ... we went from Aug 2012 when she had her 1st seizure to April 2013 without any meds ... then in April 2013 I was given valium tablets and we went from then to Aug 2013 before being given any kind of AED's which was just the regular Keppra, since then we tried the keppra xr and then added the zonisamide briefly and now we're back to the regular keppra and added the Pb this week ... hoping it get's better with the Pb being added

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:26 am

Chris,

Don't really have anything to add, just continuing to follow you and Mollys story. The medication is one of the most frustrating parts of epilepsy because it's so hit or miss. Something will work for a while, then not, then work a bit better, then not, oh, time to add something new, up the dosage of this, etc. It's hard to know the right thing to do because there doesn't seem to be a right way, only doing the best with what we have at the time.

Grateful that Molly has you, there are a lot of people who wouldn't put the time, patience and care in that it takes, especially when Molly has such a bad spell. I'm sure she'd thank you for being such a blessing.

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:14 pm

hi Colleen,

Thanks ... even if a person doesn't have anything "new' to add it's a blessing just to get a response and supportive words ... at least with a consensus of those willing to take the time to offer their thoughts I feel like I'm on the right track( if there is one) and less apt to do something that could hurt ... always trying to help and not hurt ... it's been such a nightmare for both of us ... and "playing it ear" when it's for me a 'life and death" situation with her has me 2nd guessing every decision I make ... never quite sure of anything ...

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! and then Festivus for the Rest of Us! Don't want to leave anyone out of that :) I hope you and Molly are doing well and she is starting to decompress a little bit. I know it has been a rough time, and this is not the easiest time of the year to deal with these things so I hope things are progressing for you both. Winston has done well all week, even though I can see the "excitement" once in awhile. He is back on his regular dosing and doing well so far. Again, paws crossed :) I hope the same is happening for you and Molly is returning to a better state with the addition of Pheno. You are so right when you say it's just nice to hear from someone who understands. So many people do not. The tweaking of the drugs seems to be the hardest part of this disease and finding the right balance of things, and even then, that is tough with diet, herbals, etc. Here is to you and yours and hoping you have a good week.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:08 am

Hi Cynthia ...

and a Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! and a cheerful Festivus for the Rest of Us as well ... :lol: ... no faux pas here either :D ... so glad to hear Winston and you have had a good week ... woo hoo!!! and hoping for another one. It's been a week since the last seizure on that bad 3 day stretch of seizures and 5 days on Pb ... she has been slowly but surely returning to herself and during the last 12 hours only has moments of crazy can't stop running and bouncing offa everything ... even whining and occasionally barking (or more like a yipping because she's deaf) usually when she's not suppose to like a 2 yr old kid throwing a tantrum in her cage but we have gotten that under control *knocking wood* so she's settled down in her cage too ... and for the 1st time in over a week she's sleeping on the sofa next to me on her back with all four in the air as I write this ... :D :D :D :D ... last night was the 1st night I slept all night without any problems during the night since I came down sick 16 days ago with a head cold that settled in my chest and been dealing with the latest Molly issue's ... I'm hoping for a good night tonight again for all of us ...

hope you and Winston have a great weekend and week ahead ... ♥

Chris & Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:20 am

Such good news for you and Molly!! Here's hoping you both get a reprieve from this monster and that your head/chest cold is better soon.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:33 am

I'm so glad to hear that Molly is doing so well fighting back against this stupid disease!! These dogs teach us so much. I told our vet back in July that I am in awe of Jake's strength and that I've learned so much about fighting for what is important. I hope you and everyone here has a wonderful, and seizure free holiday. I think we'll all be hugging our babies a little bit harder!
Please give molly hugs from us
Take Care,
Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:55 am

I'm doing a Snoopy dance for you & Molly!!!!!! So happy that things are looking up. Hope you feel better soon and the holidays find Molly seizure free and you having a sense of peace you haven't had in a long time.

Merry Christmas & happy holidays to you and all on the boards!