My story ... so far

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Chris Douglas

Re: My story ... so far

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:44 am

thanks everyone for all your happy, happy, happy words ... here's hoping for a long seizure free run and we all get thru the holiday's with peace of mind ... can't begin to tell you how much you guys mean to me or thank y'all enough ... ♥♥♥♥

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:31 pm

hi everyone,

with only minutes to go before leaving for work this will be short ... started last night with ex who stop's in at my mid shift point to let dog's out told me Molly's moving really really slow ... I thought good, she's slowing down and not sooo hyper .... and she was even slower than slow when I got home from work but acted normal in all other way and ate her dinner, went outside, pee'd and pooped ok ... then this morning she wouldn't eat, drink, or anything else .. including eating her "peanut butter/honey" ball with meds in it ... had to stuff pills down her throat ... minutes later she threw up .... pile's and pile's of slime with rocks and dead grass mixed with dirt ... been that way for 2.5 hours now ... not knowing if the pills I gave her had a chance to dissolve and thinking it's better to have to much Pb/keppra than none at all I forced another round down her throat ... and have to leave for work now ... :( :( :( :( :(

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Chris,

So sorry to hear Molly's having trouble, you must be so worried and hate that you have to leave your baby. Keep us posted on her progress. Prayers for you both.

Colleen
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:25 pm

She was eating rocks?? Were they too big to pass thru her system? If she's still feeling poorly, you can give her a tsp or a T of hydrogen peroxide (give it to her outside) and she'll throw some of that up. If she ate a rock too big to pass, you're going to have a problem.

Good thoughts coming your way..

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Hey Chris and Molly!

Hope she is better. I will tell you that the Pheno makes my pup sooo hungry but he really has not resorted to eating weird things, but I know some other dogs do. I've read of epileptic children who are medicated and begin eating dirt, and odd things due to the medications. You may have to keep a close eye on her. My other psycho pup Peppermint Patty (not an epileptic), was starved half to death when I adopted her from the pound and even though she's gained a whopping 15 pounds since I adopted her, I still find her trying to eat her toys, sticks, cigarette butts, etc. and so far (knock on wood), she either gets sick or the items come out in her poo. Again, I try to watch her like a hawk to avoid a future surgery and you may have to do the same since Ms. Molly is on the Pheno. I'm sure the extra dose of medications would not hurt her if she vomited. Please let me know how she's doing.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi Chris,
It sounds like she ate something that isn't able to get through. I hope the ex is stopping by when you are at work. If you check your emails at work, tell your ex to check Molly's heart rate. Also press lightly around her belly to see if she has a reaction. Then listen to her belly. If it's grumbling very loud and her heart rate is high you might have an obstruction. When there is something stuck they will throw up anything that they ingest, and become lethargic. I'll check to see what normal heart rate is and post it in a minute.

Lynne

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Normal heart rate for resting dogs is between 60 and 140 beats per minute. Smaller dogs are usually at the higher end of the range. Jake usually lands around 80, and he weighs 55 pounds.
I hope this helps and that Molly is going to be okay.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:43 am

ok ... @$#%((^%$# ... just had to do that ... don't know what else to do ... got home from work ... ex stopped by work after mid-shift check on dogs and said "she's baaaaaaaad" ... came outta her cage walked to water dish and fell over" ... he placed her on a blanket and slide her back to her cage ... took dirty blanket from cage and put in washer, started washer for me to give me a head start on the laundry ... I came home and she's unresponsive ... threw washer blanket in dryer, placed another clean blanket outside her cage and moved her on it in middle of floor, took dirty blanket to washer and got it started washing ... went back to check on her ... still unresponsive and now I can see since new blanket under her is white in color that she's bleeding from her butt, ... dark blood and plenty of it ... still breathing but totally unresponsive ... get phone to call vet, phone is dead, plug in phone to wall charger and wait, wait, wait, .. move charger/phone to plug in near sofa where I'm sitting watching her, try phone while plugged in ... yes, it works ... call vet office/ write down emergency phone number ... phone number is for a vet who recently joined my vet's office and she doesn't know me so had to go back in story to her about molly's history ... get all caught in story right up to this very minute and am told to bring her in to office in other town cause they don't do emergency services here in this town ... tell vet I don't have the gas to drive there and will be lucky if I have enough gas to make it to payday ... told to find someone to drive her down ... said there isn't anyone so guess we'll just have to try and make it thru the night but I didn't think she'd be able to do it ... was told, "sorry ... well, good luck" ...

THIS SUCKS BEING POOR!!!!!!!
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:21 am

Hi Chris,

My prayers and thoughts go out for you and Molly today.
I wish there was something we could do to help.

Sincerely,
Trevor.

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:29 am

hi everyone,

thanks for your word of kindness ... Molly passed away a few minutes ago ... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris and
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:30 am

Chris,

I'm so sorry for your loss. You tried so hard to give Molly a good life, but sometimes our efforts are futile.

As we say in the Irish Setter world: May the shamrocks fall softly on little Molly.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:45 am

Hi Chris,
I'm heartbroken for you. I hope you know that you did everything possible for your girl. My thoughts are with you.
I'm so sorry that this happened.

Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:30 am

Chris,

My heart is breaking for your loss. I'm so sorry that this has happened and am sure you did all you could for her. Losing one of our babies is one of the hardest things we have to go through in life. Prayers are with you.

Colleen
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:46 am

I am so sorry honey. There are no words for something like this but please remember that she loved you and you loved her and that's all that matters. She was lucky to have someone who cared for her so much. It breaks my heart.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Chris,

I am very sorry for you in your loss.

Take comfort knowing that Molly is now resting peacefully forever with no more suffering.

Be encouraged in your perseverance for caring for Molly over the last year – a horrid disease for anyone, you did an incredible job against even greater adversity.

The world needs more caring people like you.

Praying for better times to come for you.
Trevor.