My story ... so far

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: My story ... so far

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:48 am

Hi Chris,
That is so beautiful, and I believe, so true.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi Lynne,

Glad you like it and I too believe it. When I lost my last dog I remembered how much this made me feel better. Just had to go find it and post it for all of us cause eventually we'll all go thru the loss of a four legged family member. I'm hearing her scratch on the back door to be let it, footsteps following me, a glimpse of her outta the corner of my eye sitting on the passenger side of the seat as I drive, the sounds of her changing positions at night or even feeling her laying next to me as I sleep. One of the few good things about living alone is there's no one to laugh at me as I have sidestepped many times now to keep from stepping on her then when I look of course she's not there ... :shock: ... :lol:

Chris
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi Chris - I love that picture - I saved it to my computer - thanks for posting that. Today, my husband and I went on a walk over the regular route we used to take Kip every day - it had been a long time since we did that. It sure felt strange without him, but I keep thinking now about that picture, and so maybe Kip was right there behind us.

I'm so glad your ex came over to sit with you that night, as I'm sure it would have been even more difficult had you been alone. I hope your beagle doggie is doing OK, as I know animals really grieve when their pals are gone too. You two can try to help one another. :-)

Lynne said it well when she said our epi-pups are in a class of their own. I've had a lot of dogs and lost them over the years, but there's really something special about the bond we have with our buds with epilepsy that makes it especially hard when they go. And God bless Vivian with the courage it no doubt takes to battle this again.

Personally, I am glad to close the door on 2013. Let's hope that 2014 is a better year for all of us!! Let's hope for a breakthrough of a new medication or treatment (I kept hoping for legalization of marijuana in my state so my little guy could give it a go, which brought on all kinds of hilarious images...heeheehee.)

Take care!
Ellen and Kip
Corgi/Lab/Shepherd mix - 50 lb
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1250 mg Levetiracetam (Keppra) TID
1st seizure 11/15/2012
In doggie heaven 8/20/13 :-(

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:05 am

Hi Ellen,

glad you liked the pic ... it has brought me comfort and I hope it does the same for other's

even after 5 years I still can sense Boots at time's ... and of course now Molly since it's only been a few days since her passing ... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are time's that Kip is with you whether or not you know it ... like when you were on that walk whether behind, beside, running off along side, or off in front doing whatever he woulda done before and I'm sure he was happy to see you out walking that walk you used to do with him ... maybe the buddies we have a special bond with are the one's who become our guardian angels ... if our father house is a house of many rooms then one of em' has gotta be the rainbow bridge room for those of us when our time come to pass who have had a special connection with our four legged family member's ...

well ... beagle dog doesn't really care about much except herself and food ... never has ... at 12 she is coming to the end of her days here tooo ... and hasn't really cared that Molly is gone anymore then she cared 5 years ago when Boots left us ... she's all about her ...

I can't imagine going thru this again with another dog whether or not I have a special connection to the dog again ... I applaud and send prayers Vivian's way ... and yup Lynne is sooo right, our epi dogs are in a class of their own ... that's why it's sooo hard when they develop such a horrid disease ... I hate to say it but it doesn't happen to the dog who is just there, just a dog, oh no it happen's to the special one's we hold dear in our hearts from a time before the disease ...

I'll 2nd that ... close, lock, and throw away the keys to 2013 ... I live in a state that did legalize marijuana ... but between the state trying to figure out how to regulate it, the cities/towns trying to figure out how to city ordinance it's location of sale(no one wants a "head-shop" in their neighborhood), it's still up in the air and now to late for my Molly ... but here's hoping and praying for a better year for all epi-dogs and their owners ...

Thanks Ellen and take care,
Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:25 am

Good morning Chris! I love that picture and it is so true. When my previous pup Chester passed, I imagined his chubby body with tiny little wings and swear I could see him every morning flying with me over the bridge to work :) It comforted me so much during that time. I'm glad you have another pup to love on and I know when you have pets it's like children, some are more special than others, but it's nice to have another babe around for company. I read about the mushroom and I am so sorry to hear that. I live in a very hot climate but have a shady backyard and mushrooms grow all the time. Now I will be on mushroom patrol from now on especially since my non-epi pup Patty will eat anything, and I mean anything.

As for Winston, he had a situational Grand Mal on Sunday. The people next door were moving and they made a lot of noise and he became over stimulated when they moved the storage shed (he hated it from the time they put it in as he could see it over our privacy fence) and wham. He had another 12/30 close to midnight into 12/31. He did not have a seizure yesterday so we're keeping paws crossed that it is his typical pattern and not the beginning of another phase and change in medicine again. I keep threatening him with booty Valium if he continues :) But, so far so good. Patty is tormenting him this morning which is a good sign. When he seizes or if he's during a phase she usually avoids him.

My thoughts are still with you and your loss. It's so hard when these things happen and after caring so closely for your babe, it's not an easy pattern to break or let go of. Thank you for donating your meds to the Wally Foundation. They do a wonderful job and it is going to help someone unfortunate this year.

Here's to a Happy New Year to everyone!
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:43 am

And, I'm with Ellen, I live in a State that has not passed the utilization of medicinal marijuana but they are in the process of trying. A couple of weeks ago I found the following links and it is amazing what it has done for children. I encourage people who are skeptical of this usage to look at both of these and then make an opinion. It's truly inspirational. I do not know how much actual clinical testing has been performed on dogs in this regard, but I know it has been used for the treatment of cancer in canines just as in people by vets in California but vets are strictly monitored in this regard and the laws passed have not really dealt with the use in canines. I hope in the future, in the States where it is possible, that teaching vet hospitals start running trials on the usage for epileptic pups to see just how effective it can be. I have read of individuals who have had success but I would like to see an actual trial using same. If anyone knows if they are doing this, please let me know as I would be interested to view the findings. I still find it funny that all of these medications generated in labs can be legal but an herb that grows naturally from the earth is banned. Pharmaceutical companies will fight legalization of marijuana until they are blue in the face, which is another problem. Just my two cents :)

http://realmofcaringfoundation.org/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/ch ... index.html
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi Cynthia,

Sorry to hear about Winston's seizure, hopefully it'll be just her one and now that the moving is over everything will be quiet for a while so him and Patty can get on with having a good life together.

We should of had several feet of snow that doesn't go away but this year is the strangest one I have ever seen ... it snow twice and both time it was only an inch or so that melted in hours ... not even a white x-mas, never seen that before ... and rain, rain, rain, then days of sun before going back to rain, rain, rain ... last winter Molly had a seizure outside and I had to move her to a shoveled out spot to keep her from burying herself in the snow and suffocating ... the high temp's are in the 40's right now instead of day's/weeks of sub-freezing weather that are lucky to get up to 30 even ... after this issue with the mushroom's ton's of people locally have been saying they too have mushroom in their yards which explains what made the vet think to ask me about any in my yard ...

Co. has farms that grow pot for tincture's that are high in CBD's and low/none THC for medical use ... I have found it amazing that the gov. and pharmaceutical company's have known for decades that the CBD has such great medicinal properties ... guess they are just waiting to find a way to get it patented for the profit value verse's really caring about the human/animal condition ...

prayer's are with you and Winston,

Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Cynthia,

That CNN article you posted - I had read that shortly before Kip died, and I was trying to figure out a way that I could legally try cannabis with him. My 79 year old mother is the one who sent me the link. :-) I live in Missouri, just a hop, skip and a jump to Illinois, whose legal medicinal marijuana laws had just passed and would go into effect Jan 1. I thought surely I could find a vet in IL who would help us. Unfortunately, unless I moved to IL, it would be illegal to bring even a small amount of it home here in MO (the best I could tell.) And then, of course, three weeks after reading that article about that little girl Charlotte, my Kip passed away after a cluster of seizures.

From what I can gather, there's a professor of veterinary medicine from NC State University named Dr. Duncan Lascelles who has been interested in studying medicinal cannabis in pets, but he has held off thinking seriously about the study until recently, when he's gained interest again with so many states adopting medicinal marijuana legalization laws. He states that a study of that sort might take as long as ten years. Geez. He is quoted in a few articles, but here's one of them:

http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/medicinal ... -for-pets/

Maybe we should all write to him and encourage him to get this study off the ground!! There's got to be some better answers than Phenobarb and KBr and Keppra and Zonisamide, which clearly are not working well for the dogs of the people who frequent this site, or we wouldn't all be here.

While reading further today, I also see that there are two vets in Seattle who just two months ago started using cannabis as treatment for pets. It's the low/no THC version, just as Chris has mentioned. One of vets (Dr. Brandon) sells her product "legally throughout the US". Not sure if I believe it's legal everywhere, but if my baby boy were still alive today, I'd sure be checking it out. Then again, we had reached the end of all hope, as our neurologist had said there was really nothing else we could try for Kip and hope for much success - so maybe that's why I'd have been grasping at anything. She said it would cost as little as $1 or $2 a day, which is far, far less than what we were spending in meds and ER stays.
Anyway, a link to that article is here:

http://tinyurl.com/p8ew4cl

Something to think about, anyway. I know someone had posted in another thread about cannabis oil, but it's been awhile since I read that. I haven't looked at any of this since my little guy died, but since poor little Molly passed away, I got caught up in this thread and started thinking about it again. I just wish so much there was a cure, but at least an effective treatment. I still jump and my heart races when there's a funny noise in my house, thinking it's a seizure starting, even though Kip's been gone for months. It's a horrible, cruel disease and I hate it that anyone has to live with their pet being affected.
Ellen and Kip
Corgi/Lab/Shepherd mix - 50 lb
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1250 mg Levetiracetam (Keppra) TID
1st seizure 11/15/2012
In doggie heaven 8/20/13 :-(

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:54 am

Hi Ellen,

I posted "Interesting Read" in the Treatment and Maintenance section ...

Veterinary marijuana?
https://www.avma.org/news/javmanews/pages/130615a.aspx

but have since also came up with other interesting links;

Dr Sanjay Gupta's CNN Special "WEED": you'll have to copy/paste this one into your address bar to get there ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IMfIQ_K6U

Run From The Cure: the 1st video in the line up,
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/medic ... 1-7-a.html

as soon as the area I live in decide's where their going to allow dispensaries I had planned on getting some hemp oil/tencture's for Molly as I believe after researching the subject that the use of these can cure many ailments and disease's(keep this in mind if cancer enter's your world) ... and would make it possible for Molly to not only live a normal life, be seizure free, but also to never have to take AED's again ... well, that was the plan that I had been working on all year ... was just waiting for the legal availability issues's to sort itself out ... even had people I know offer to get me marijuana in the mean time if I wanted to try blowing smoke at her but realizing what I needed was a high CBD without the THC I opted to wait ... hmmm, really thought her and I would have more than 16 mos together dealing with this disease, wasn't to be.

Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:24 am

The chances of Dr Duncan being able to conduct any trials are slim to none. Here in NC, medical marijuana has about a 0% chance of becoming legal for a very long time, and I'm sure they would hall him off in seconds for even trying low/no Cannabis. The republican controlled congress killed the bill earlier in 2013 because they claimed they were being harassed. Apparently they consider our right to email and say that we want the bill passed harassment. So don't hold your breath.
If the people in my area had a say we would have beaten Colorado to legalize it. Republicans hate us around here. We created Moral Mondays.

Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Chris,

Still thinking of you and hoping that today is a better day than yesterday. Sometimes I just don't think there is a grief deeper than the one we suffer at losing our babies, especially when they're taken away from us too soon and from such a horrid disease.

I've thought about pot for Shiloh, not that it's legal here, but then can't imagine if he's already eating everything in sight, the last thing I'd need is for him to get up on a chair to get into the cabinets and satisfy his need for munchies! :D

Last night I was trying to figure out why my bedroom was so cold and noticed the sheers moving quite a bit. Pulled them back and lifted the shade to discover the window was broken. It sits low to the ground and guess when Shiloh had one of his seizures a week ago he must of hit his head on the window and broke it. I'm thankful he didn't cut himself. Going to have to look into an extra sturdy window replacement.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Lynne,

Had to google "Moral Mondays" ... wow, didn't realize NC had been going backwards in so many area's ...

Hi Colleen,

thanks for thinking of me ... I have been trying to find a new lil' bud but it's not looking good as the only one's I can find that are the same breed/female are selling for $500 to $800 ... even the rescue groups are wanting several hundred ... and I'm not into buying, just want to move on and can't until I have a new bud-dog ... (actually found one in foster care, older with seizures but doing great on Pb, thought to myself, "nope, can't do that again, ... knowingly)

really lucky Shiloh wasn't injured when he hit his head ... glad he's doing better this week though ... hoping for a long reprieve from this horrid disease ... ♥

I do smoke cig's. but don't smoke anything else, ... have spent a lifetime being against it ... don't even like it when I find out people I know smoke it ... then came epilepsy and my learning about the benefit's of everything else in marijuana (except the THC and how it's doesn't have any psychoactive properties without the THC) ... now I have done a 360 degree turn around ... but the town here while legal in the state has imposed a 1 yr moratorium on it as have 3 dozen other city/town have around the state ...

Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Chris,

Certainly can't blame you for not being ready to take on another epi-dog, your wounds are still fresh and watching our babies go through seizures is absolutely horrible. You'll find your new bud, it may just take some time. I saw Mollie's picture on TWF FB page, she was beautiful!!! Are there any breeders in your area that would give you one that they aren't able to sell because they're not "perfect"? I'm not into paying huge amounts of money either. Shiloh & Rylie both came from the local shelter so their adoption fee was only $60. Izzie my Labradoodle I was able to get for free because the home she was in didn't want her.

Shiloh was lucky he didn't hurt himself on the glass. No matter how hard we try to "seizure proof" the house, there's always something that can happen and that is really scary to me.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi Lynne,

I lived in North Carolina, Charlotte to be exact, for 13 years, so I know what you're dealing with especially with the new Governor. He was Mayor when I lived in Charlotte and potentially one of the dumbest human beings in the history of the world. I cannot believe that he was elected as Governor. I have a cousin in North Carolina who is epileptic and her mom is so pushing for medicinal marijuana to be passed. Nice to know I was not alone in my thinking in your State. I still have many, many good dear friends there who are on your side with this and many other issues as well :) I'm in Florida now, where the legislature is not much brighter, and we are trying to get medicinal marijuana on the table. We'll see how it goes.

Chris,

Thank you for your prayers. Winston is much better. Has not had another seizure so I'm pleased so far and he played tonight like crazy which is always so nice to see. He's passed out now, doesn't take much with all that chemical medication. I'm on vacation next week. My mom is coming in and I really hope he has a good week. Last thing I want to deal with on vacation is a seizing baby, but it is what it is. Epilepsy is like the ocean to me. You ride the waves, sometimes they're big, sometimes small, but it can be a constant struggle for some. I always feel like I'm waiting for the big wave, which is a shame. I am trying so hard to enjoy the fun days like today.

Kip's Mom,

Thank you for the information. I know what you mean about this horrid disease. I hear the "sounds" of a seizure and my heart races and I run into the room to find my other dog scratching her ear. That is not an easy thing to shake. I don't think I'll ever be the same after this ordeal. I work for a large law firm. Today my boss was like "why can't you just buy it [medicinal marijuana] and keep it your house?" "No one would ever know." Well, what if I have a house fire or a break-in and the police come in and find medicinal marijuana. I'm charged. In this stupid State I'm probably a felon for that so you cannot transport or house any type of the drug if you live in a State where it is illegal. Sad I say.

I lived in Colorado for a couple of years. I'm trying to talk my entire family into moving back :)
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 am

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for thinking my Molly was beautiful. You could probably guess by what I posted there in answer to another's question about what happened that it was the worst surprise of my entire life leaving for work thinking only about how hungry she'd be when I got home and instead coming home to find out I"d be sitting here helplessly watching her bleed out. Still in shock about it and feel like I'll be stuck in that moment forever ... until I find a new bud so I can put the time I spent watching behind me ... it doesn't help that even as I sit here sitting where I sat that night that I can still see it all like it's still happening ... another reason I need to fill this space in this room with something else ... a different image in my mind ... like a puppy moving around the room, or laying there chewing on a bone or toy ... or something ...

no breeders close by ... and all the one's I find online are wanting big bucks ... I think even the one's that aren't perfect are looked at like their "money-maker's" for those selling em'

local animal shelter is only $80 but they only have one dog and tons of cats ... I'll keep looking ...

Hi Cynthia,

Hope you have a great vacation and that Winston has a super seizure free week ...

Yup, I still hear the sounds of a seizure starting ... or wake up in the morning glance at the clock more asleep than awake and think oh craaap, better get up it's time for her meds ... or eat anything without feeling her eye's watching my every bite ... can a person drive them self crazy ... the answer is "yup"

Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13