My story ... so far

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Chris Douglas

Re: My story ... so far

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:43 am

thanks Cynthia,

no place yet but got internet back tonight ... it's tough in a small town to find work and/or a place to live ... not sooo many option's here for either ...

I had a good day, been trying to go over to burned out place every chance I get in my dirty clothes, while squatting I go thru the half way to my knee's black muck that has chunks of unrecognizable stuff mixed in and filter it thru my hands/fingers looking for anything I can salvage ... of all things in my bedroom I had tried to think of everything packed away in boxes and what if anything if I found it would be the "one"most important thing to me ... the answer always came back my jewelry box ... the last few trips I was able to salvage a couple of hunting knives(sheath's no salvagable), some pic's I had to cut out of the album cause the plastic melted so some of the pic itself had to be trimmed, and a pile of paid bill's bundled together with rubber bands ... of course of all the really important paperwork like birth cert., wills, marriage/divorce paperwork ... it's the paid bundle of bills that survive ...

then there's all the "oh, ... crap, ... I really loved this shirt, that pants, and there's my good dress leather coat, and wow, those were really nice shoe's/boots once upon a time(before the fire), ... and so on ... kinda like losing everything all over again ... for a 2nd time ...

then came today ... I had been crawling thru a hole cut in wall at head of bed and had worked my way along side of bed to foot of bed and 2 feet more to closet ... having got that out of way I entered today from a doorway on other side of bed ... the jewelry box was in a box with other stuff that I had already found, recognized, and was not savable(all these boxed were stacked in an appox. 2' x 4' spot on the side of the bed I had been checking after entering the room thru hole in wall)... so I had given up a lot of hope of finding it cause sooo much is a melted or burned pile of stuff ... today I entered from other side of bedroom and just stood there in the door way looking at the muck on this 2nd side of the bed when outta nowhere it struck me that something didn't look right in the muck ... a perfect corner of something sticking up in the muck ...

you gotta realize the floor is giving out and so I have to be careful cause I don't wanna end up 10 feet down with 15 feet of stuff on me ... not to mention the partial ceiling and roof over head that's ready to fall in ... and with all the almost knee high muck you can't see how the floor is ... safe or not? ... but I carefully held onto the door jam and placed 1 foot in then swung my body over as far as I could and was able to reach out and snag the box ... didn't even know what I had ... just keep hoping ... got it outside and still didn't recognize it all black and mucky ... it's a zippered box on 3 side's ... had to take it back to the new place and cut it open ... but there it was ... all my jewelry including my grandmother's wedding ring in perfect condition like nothing ever happened, took everything out and put it in zip-lock's then off the the jeweler's with box in a plastic garbage bag ... the jeweler checked everything ... all stone's are ok and my dress watch is fine ... nothing even smoke/fire stained ...

how bizarre ... this jewelry box ended up on wrong side of bed ...and from by foot of bed on one side bed to the head of bed on other side ...

sorry for the book ... guess that's what happen's when after missing having the internet the you get it back ...

thanks for thinking of me everone ...

Chris
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:42 am

just gotta tell another tooo bizarre thing ... been in that apartment for 3 winters .. this winter about 2 mos ago I started sleeping on the futon sofa in living room, don't even know why ... the apartment is four rooms end to end with living room, then kitchen/dining room, then bedroom, and lastly utility room ... when I used to sleep in bedroom I wouldn't even wake up to cell phone ringing if it was on kitchen counter in next room much less the battery backup beeping in living room if electricity went out ... but because I was sleeping on sofa in living room and battery backup is right under the edge of the sofa I got woke up by it beeping when the fire happened ... but I just thought the electrician was working on the other apartment since the landlord had hired one to do some work ... so even though it was earlier than I wanted to get up I had been woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and within just 15 minutes or so I left ... if I had been sleeping in the bedroom the only thing that woulda woke me up is the fire racing thru my bedroom then the fire went to back utility room from there ... the other rooms only have smoke and water damage to them with the exception of half of one inside wall of kitchen where it meets the bedroom wall ... that corner is gone ... firemen said it was the "hottest" fire they had seen in some time ... fast and hot ... that's because the house was full of 60 years or so of coal dust from when they mined coal around here and it sits right along the railroad where they shipped it out ... the railroad right of way across the street is still solid black from coal dust ...

sure glad I wasn't sleeping in my bed ... might not be here to tell about it ...

Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi Chris -

So glad to hear that you found your jewelry box and everything in there was OK! At least the one material thing you wanted was still intact, and you found it. Sounds pretty dangerous to be in there - from the pics on that article it sure does look like one heck of a fire. I had read that somewhere about the coal dust making those fires spread rapidly - I think it was on the article about the fire that killed those two little kids not too long before your fire. (I read some other news from Cle Elum while looking at the news about yours.). Darned good thing you were sleeping in the other room.

Makes you wonder if the electrician working in the other apartment had anything to do with the fire starting, since it started over there. Oh well, guess that doesn't really matter now.

Hope some other place opens up for you and Katie soon. Thanks for the updates - we are all still thinking about you!
Ellen and Kip
Corgi/Lab/Shepherd mix - 50 lb
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1250 mg Levetiracetam (Keppra) TID
1st seizure 11/15/2012
In doggie heaven 8/20/13 :-(

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:17 am

thanks Ellen ... for everything ...

here's another 'rub" ... in the bathroom there wasn't a plug in close to the sink so someone had drilled a hole thru the wall next to a door that has stairs on other side leading down to basement ... the door had been sealed and free standing shelves had been placed in front of the door for the renter to put bathroom things on ... then the person who had drilled the hole next to the door frame thru the wall had cut the two prong end of a light weight extension cord off(the kind of extension cord you get at a grocery store), ran the cut off end thru hole in wall, then ("jerrie-rigged"-)wired the cut end of extension cord into an old fashion ceiling light(the kind from the 50's with a bare bulb and a chain/string that you pulled to turn on) under the the house in the staircase that lead down to the basement ... (I saw it once when I had gone into the basement from an entrance on the outside of the house over on the other side of the house) ... and the end of the extension cord that you plug stuff into like hairblowers/electric shavers or whatnot was on the inside of my bathroom next to the freestanding shelving but someone had plugged something into it that "drew" too much electricity and the end you plug stuff into was all melted and blackened ... but it was still wired into a "hot-line" and live ...

so when I moved into the apartment and saw this I complained verbally to landlord who blew me off with a "NO BIG DEAL" attitude ... then when the house was foreclosed on and new owner buys it last summer I wrote him a letter dated Oct 4th (almost 3 mos. before the fire) and told him my complaints in writing ... this was one of the things the electrician would had taken care of on a long list of things to do at this house ... but he hurt his shoulder a couple of weeks before the fire and had to have surgery on it so he didn't have a chance to get to that part of the list of "things to do" ... before the fire ... and according to one of the insurance guys I got a brief talk with the new landlord told them(the insurance people) he didn't even know there was a "down" staircase from my apartment to the basement ...

so everyday almost I try and go over before work and see what else I can find ... or save ... today it was only 1 coffee cup saved ... but in this trip over I find that the "looter's" are beating me to my own stuff and some things that I had already checked out and they are in perfect shape ... like some kitchen stuff and the microwave ... but at the time I checked em there was more important thing's to try and find ... thinking I could come back for these other things later ... you know ... "1st things 1st" ... on the list of priorities ...hmmmmm, ... oh well ...

Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Chris -

Well, that just sucks that looters are beating you to your own stuff. Guess we shouldn't be surprised, but still...

Oh my, that sounds like quite the code violation going on there. I'm surprised they let the house change ownership without an electrical inspection. But I'm sure those laws vary from place to place. That's awful that your new landlord flat out lied to the insurance guy. Well, at least he was trying to get the electrical stuff in order before the electrician got hurt. I guess you haven't heard if they found the source of the fire? It was something in the other apartment, right? Was anyone home there at the time? Maybe someday you'll run into one of the volunteer firemen at the quick mart or a cafe and they will be able to tell you. I would guess the owner would know, but you're probably not having any reason to speak to him. Guess it doesn't really matter what the cause was, unless it was arson...but I'm such a curious person I'd be dying to know. ;-)
Ellen and Kip
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1st seizure 11/15/2012

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Chris,

Am glad you've been able to recover the jewelry and a few other things. We don't realize what's truly important to us sometimes until we lose it. I'm sorry that looters have been a problem, it doesn't surprise me but I always like to hope for the best. They'll get there's one day.

Considering the problem with the electrical it's a miracle something hadn't happened earlier. Again, so thankful you & Katie made it out safely.

Colleen
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:38 am

thanks Colleen,

I'm grateful to be alive tooo ... as for what 's really important, I'd of traded it all ... knowingly ... to have Molly back seizures and all ... I have had nightmares and a bad feeling about a fire for a very long time and it hadn't even been a couple of weeks before the fire that I mentioned that an outside door in the front of the house that had a space between the door and an inside door that leads to the "up" staircase leading to the attic needed to be kept clear of anything stored there so if there was a fire the firemen would have access to the attic to both the property manager(ex-landlord) and the new tenant of the other apartment ... they both just looked at me like I was some ol' crazy lady ... pffft!

thanks Ellen,

no electrical inspection before the resale ... and bank didn't even know they sold the house to a "shirt-tail" relative of the guy they foreclosed on ... so ex-landlord became the property manager for the new landlord ... and your right the new landlord was trying to make it better and safer ... no one was home in other apartment at the time of the fire ... next day the fire department did an inspection to try and determine the cause ... next door neighbor in a different house talk to them and told me they think it started in the staircase ... when the neighbor next door told me that I just thought, "really ... I mean ... really!?!" .... ahahahahaha, like anyone is gonna admit that they even knew about the jerry-rigged, wired in, burned up lightweight household extension cord that was still hooked up to a hot-line ... nope, they're gonna cover their asses on this one ... but all this could have been avoided ... for me at least ... I'm just a renter so no one is gonna tell me anything ... and when it's all said and done they'll all probably just shrug their shoulders and say, "well, what'd ya expect, it was an old house ya know" ... :shock:

Chris
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Hey Chris!

Just wanted to give you a shout out and say hello. I hope things have improved for you and Ms. Katie. We are doing well. In the same "holding" pattern as always, but no new seizures so that's good. Let us know how you are.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Chris - just wondering how you are doing?

Thinking of you,
Ellen and Kip
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1st seizure 11/15/2012

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 am

Chris,

Thinking of you and Katie and wondering how things are going for you both.

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:40 am

sorry all for not posting sooner ... we're still hanging in there ...

haven't been here near as often as before ... it bring's back memories ... kinda like after the fire I couldn't drive down the street where the house was ... in a town that's only 5 blocks wide and 12 blocks long it hard not to think about the fire and how life has changed ...

ps. plus even right up to tonight someone brought up the fire to me ... not sure how to "move on" when I can't get any kind of quality of life like I had even if it just a quality of life that says I can have a lil' place with a small fenced in area and another brittany similar to Molly ... doesn't seem like much of a goal in life really but still evidently for me it's gonna be near impossible unless I win the lottery or some other miracle happens ... :lol: ... gonna end up as the crazy lady who rent's the shed out by the alley some day ... :shock:
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 am

Hi Chris,
I'm glad you posted to let us know how you're doing, but I really understand not doing it before. I'm glad you're holding up and that you and Katie are together. It takes a very strong person to go through what you've been through and not wind up in the shed where the crazy lady lives. I guess that old saying that doesn't ever make anyone feel better when they're going through a rough time really is true. You know the "Time Heals All Wounds" thing. I remember someone saying that to me once and it upset me so much that I almost threw up on her. Personally I think it's the ones who walk around saying that everything's "perfect" in their lives that you have to watch out for!

Hugs to both you and Katie.
Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Lynne,

ahahahahahahaha ... thanks for the chuckle, I really needed that! ... either watch out for the one who go around saying everything's "perfect" in their lives ... or move to their world cause their living in "a world of their own" ... ... gotta get me some of those "rose colored glasses" ... and a tin-foil hat ... :lol: ... started thinking last night about all the crazy ladies who live in those well hide lil' places and realized I can't become one of those cause they all have 20 or 30 cat's and I'm not a cat person ... :lol:

got a call from the ex-landlord/property manager that the house/ what's left of it was tore down ... drove by in the dark so I wouldn't have to see toooo much and have tooo good a picture stuck in my head ... yup, it's gone, all gone, filled in and leveled out, ready for whoever to do whatever with it ... still half of the 6 ft. fence I built is still there around half of the back yard, but the rest of it and the house, flower/rock garden and beds are gone tooo ... *sighs* ... (in my minds eye -->ahahahahaha, musta been Glad/Zip-lock plastic tubs and lids everywhere when they tore it down as I had a ton of em' ... :lol: ... can picture the blue collar heavy equipment operator cussin' as he had to climb down offa his machine and go around pickin' em up ... :lol:
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Well, I was going to suggest in our posts that maybe you get a kitty for Katie and thought better. No I know why :) I am that lady you speak of. I have two dogs and three cats inside and live in a little cubby of a house with a decent yard and a wonderful privacy fence. When I moved in there was a feral cat community (two little old ladies down the street started this) and this nice woman came by and asked if I would help feed them if they trapped and fixed them all and I said I would. Just this morning my next door neighbor was calling me Snow White because I was being followed down the street by seven cats ready for breakfast, the birds were singing for sunflower seeds, and the 15 squirrels I give peanuts to were jumping through the trees in anticipation for their morning meal. Yes, I realize I am that crazy lady :lol: I'm just not old, well at least I keep telling myself that :shock:
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 am

I can imagine that it's difficult to move past certain things when you keep getting reminded of it. Kinda like you might think you're doing better then the house gets torn down and it brings it all back. Things like that make it hard. I do believe that as time goes on it gets easier, but time doesn't heal, it leaves a scar that we somehow get to a point where we can look at it and not have it hurt as much.

Think your goals are wonderful! Who needs to win the lottery? Have you seen all the stories of people who have won and find themselves much worse off than before? Sometimes those smaller dreams can bring the biggest rewards. I feel sorry for people who think a big house, flashy car will make them happy and not know the love of a good dog. I may not have a lot of money, but I am so rich!