My story ... so far

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Chris Douglas

Re: My story ... so far

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Cynthis,

sounds like me ... I built a 12" x 12" platform with 2" x 2" runner's along the edge on 2 side's on top to keep the wind from blowing anything off and stuck it on top of a fence post out back at the other place so I could feed the birds and had a chipmunk living out back for the 3 years I lived there that I fed ... it was always soooo funny but even "deaf" Molly knew when the birds were there and wanted out in the worst way, the minute I opened the door she'd run like a streak of lightning to chase the bird's away then loop the yard prancing with head held high like she'd done this great thing ... :lol:

Colleen,

winning the lottery isn't so I could live a grand lifestyle and go broke ... it's so I could have a lil' place with a small fenced in yard like I used to have cause that's what it would take for me to get that back ... around here the only places that will even consider allowing you to have a dog are either the rundown dump apartment that's a 100 years old(where I'm at now) and need's everything fixed or replaced ... or places way outta my income level ... while some people don't think $850.00 to $1250.00 a month is so bad even before you add in the electric, heat, water, sewer, garbage, and anything else like t.v., phone, or internet since those are considered "luxury items" ... but for me at a $1,200.00 a month take-home income level they are outta my range ... hence the need to win the lottery or something ... I'd probable be one of the few "rich" people that you wouldn't ever know it cause my need's are so basic and simple ... lol, it's been 3 year's ago tomorrow since I used a frig. or electric stove/range ... :shock: ... ok, so it hasn't been by choice but because I can't afford the electric bill, the food to put in the frig, or cook on the stove ... oh well, sorry I got "off topic" ... :oops:
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:34 pm

I know it's tough when you live in a little town, work is hard to come by and finding a decent place for rent that takes pets is really hard. I grew up in somewhat of a Podunk place myself, but near the city. I have always been lucky in finding something but I have always lived in bigger cities as an adult (could not wait to get out of my little town) so I am sure it is tough for you. Is there any possibility of you relocating? I know that takes money too though. I'm glad you had a day off with Ms. Katie and you guys enjoyed yourselves. Sometimes all it takes is the little things to get you through. I always laugh when I hear people say "Money doesn't buy you happiness." That may be true, but it sure would make the worrying about bills, food, shelter and vet bills a lot damned easier :)
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:22 pm

when I was looking for another Molly I soon realized there was a lot of dogs out there who needed a home so guess I'd have to go a little broke if I won the lottery and buy five acres or so and fence the whole dang place in cause knowing me I'd adopt every stray in the county ... :shock: ... I lived once for a year or a lil' over in a bigger town and found it to be just as bad when it came to rental's ... while there were more jobs and more variety of jobs there was an even greater number of people needing jobs to compete against ... without skills/experience that get's you a job with "tips" since I'm an unskilled/uneducated worker(poster child for why you should get a degree) the wages are the same no matter where you live ... although at this point having already worked most everywhere I can in podunk it may come down to a move somewhere someday ... most people I know have friends/family when they move out of their area to make it easier getting a start somewhere new wish that was a possibility for me, it would make it sooo much easier ...
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Chris,
I think transition is always hard when there's pain behind it. Give yourself the time you need to decide what you need to do. I suspect that if your friends here lived in Podunk you'd have a place to stay until you got your feet on the ground. For now you'll just have to come here and hang out with the rest of us "normal" people. (I don't think anyone has ever used the word "normal" when they think of me and that's fine!)
Take Care,
Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:19 am

Hi Lynne,
thanks ... on the 3rd it'll be 3 months since the fire and on the 7th it'll be 3 months since I moved into this room, as I look around I realize not only has nothing moved, been added, or changed in any way in this room since I moved in but my life hasn't changed either ... in any way, shape, or form ... maybe I'm impatient but 3 months ago I really thought, at that time, that long before now I'd be living in a place with a small fenced in area and have a Molly look-alike ... so I'm greatly disappointed to find out that it'd take nothing short of a miracle for either of those things to happen ... that being said I have just been trudging along every since eating, sleeping, and working with no real hope of anything else for now ... there's a movie called A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger and a line in it about trudging that describe's my life now:

"To trudge: the slow, weary, depressing yet determined walk of a man who has nothing left in life except the impulse to simply soldier on."
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Chris,
For someone who's been through what you've been through it's so easy to set "time" goals because that's what you have to hold onto. Unfortunately it usually takes a lot longer than we thought it would. Don't put so much pressure on yourself Chris. Take it one step at a time. You've been through a lot. And if you feel like getting the anger out, make up some water balloons and throw them, hard! As tempting as it might be I'd advise not throwing them at people or cars. I don't want you to wind up in jail! But the side of a building works very well.
I was wondering, since you have such a passion for dogs, maybe one of the rescues could use volunteers. That could at some point lead to something else like a paying job. You might not make a lot more than you are now, but at least you'd be surrounded by these dogs that need someone like you to make their day brighter, and you'd be doing something that you love.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Lynne,

:lol: ... water balloons ... I like that .... would love to take em to work and throw them at all the "I'm someone special, it's all about me, and basically rude people who travel thru on their way to somewhere else" ...

the only rescues locally is ARRF and they foster what animals they have out to people with real homes ... the next town down is the county seat with a "kill" shelter who uses volunteers to walk the dogs ... even when I lived there it was hard to just walk past the cages ...

it's ok ... I'll just "keep on keeping on" ... ♥
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13