My story ... so far

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ShilohsMom

Re: My story ... so far

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Chris,

I am so sorry. Wish I could give you a big hug and tell you everything will be OK. Can only imagine how stressed you must be to leave your baby and go to work. Will your ex be able to stop by and check in on Molly, what about sit with her for a while?

My vet has never offered Valium to Shiloh for his seizures, not sure why or if he truly needs it. That is one of the hard things about this disease is that it's so unpredictable over what will and won't work. Or if something does start to work, all of a sudden it doesn't seem to, although who knows what would happen if we withdrew the meds.

Will be thinking of you both this evening.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi Chris,
I can't imagine how you must feel. I wish your vet would get her act together. We've been through hell with Jake, but always felt that we had a good team of doctors that could help. I will send as much positive energy your way as I can, and will hope beyond words that Molly stops seizing.
We're here if you need us.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:10 am

hi,

ex stops by each night I work, sits with her, let's her out, give's her a 1/2 portion of dog food/water, and was giving her 1 of her 3 times a day regular keppra's ... but there were times when he wasn't sure if he'd be able to because of other things in life ... that and being able to finally get the vet to script keppra xr to the local pharmacy with the 12 hour dosing ... plus thinking maybe the keppra xr would keep a more level amount of keppra in her system thru out the day kinda helped me to decide to try the keppra xr ... he still stops by and does all the things now except the regular keppra dosing ... but now if he can't make it for whatever reason at least Molly isn't missing a dose of meds.

she had an episode during the 1st half of my shift tonight according to the ex and was in bad shape ... he opened her crate but she was too weak to come out ... so no food or water ... or bathroom break ... the when I got home it was even worse cause she had had more seizures during the 2nd half of my shift after the ex left her ...

after taking care of the other dog I have I stripped and Molly and I took a shower, then I blowed dried her and placed her on clean blankets, got the blankets from her bed cleaned of the solid waste and threw them in the washer, carried her crate to the shower, cleaned and dried it, gave Molly her meds. ... then I went out back to take a bag of garbage out to the garbage can ... came back in to her having a seizure ...

if I count the 1st half and 2nd half of my work shift last might and tonight as only a single seizure each ... then the seizure I came back into from taking out the garbage is #17 since yesterday morning at 6 am ... and it's now 11:50 pm ... sitting here waiting for her to wake up ... seizure is over and the heavy panting after while still out is over ... but she hasn't woke up yet ... breathing normal ... like she's just sleeping ... or something ...

guess I'll go see if she's gonna be o.k. ...

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:31 am

yup ... she was ok, lifted head and looked at me like, "What's wrong with you?" ... but didn't offer to get up so I left her to rest on the blanket ... then 10 minutes ago another one ... #18 from Thurs. morning 6 am now it's Sat. morning 1:10 am ...

this is ( I must be tired) surreal ...

keppra xr dosing isn't due till 11:30 am ... maybe we should go back to the regular keppra at that time ... :?
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Chris,
You're being a great mom. Anyone would be exhausted.

Hugs,
Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:12 am

thnx Lynne,

#19 was a double @ 4:55am, more "doo" 2 pick up, floor to dry, soiled blankets to wash, rump to clean, peanut butter/honey 2 boost sugar levels, lil' dry kibble, water, dry kibble, water, and mo' kibble, then water, dry blankets from dryer to her bed, made her get up and move around on her own, she didn't think she could, so unsteady on her feet and as weak as a kitten from all this ... 7:15 a.m. better get a nap before alarm goes off and it's time to get up for work or the next seizure which ever comes 1st ... :lol:
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:04 am

Chris,

I'm so sorry, I was crying for you as I read this. I feel so bad for the two of you. You must be so exhausted. Hoping the worst is behind you. Do you talk to your vet when Molly seizes like this?

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi ShilohsMom,

so sorry I didn't mean to upset you ... we're hanging in there ... the vet is only here tues and thurs ... last thurs when this all started I tried to talk to the vet but she's out of area at some vet. medical thing and will be back tues. ... so I let the receptionist know I'd be in to talk about "we need to do something about Molly's meds ... some kinda adjustment or is it time for PB ... or what?" ...

she hasn't been seizing this bad before ... we had managed to get to a better place with only 3 or 4 single seizures that had become what I called a "non-event" in that they were so mild and had become shorter in length ... usually 3 or four single events in a pattern that was either 4, 5, or 6 hours apart ... and the post-ictal was becoming mostly just pacing or fast trotting back and forth thru the house ... no stumbling, blindness or fear of everything including me ... it always started in the evening and was over, back to normal by the next afternoon ... thought we were "on" to something good ... it was an event similar to this but it was a "all in 1 day" event that lead us to start meds to begin with ...

after starting keppra things got a lil better with things being milder but since we hadn't been able to get more time than an every 2 week pattern I thought we should try the keppra xr to see if that would help stretch things out but it didn't ... it shortened to a 10 or 11 day pattern ... so then I suggested the zonisamide being added on which we started on the 5th ... 1 week before this latest nightmare that we're in now ...

I stopped giving Molly the zonisamide as of today ... thought about going back to regular keppra but haven't yet ...

so Tues. I don't know where we'll go from here ... back to regular keppra and/or up the dosage of either keppra's, add the zonisamide back in, add PB and/or KBR to this mix ... ?

Chris and Molly
Last edited by Chris Douglas on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Please don't apologize, my heart just aches for you and I hate that you're both going through this. This is just such a hard disease to watch our hairy children to go through and it's so frustrating to have meds not work and have to wait to see if something else will help. Thoughts & prayers continue to be with you both.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Chris,
Is it possible to contact your vet's receptionist to let them know that Molly is clustering so much. I would think that any vet would at the very least have some advice for you, conference or no conference. Are these full blown grand mals? How long are they lasting? One thing I thought of is that you should take her temperature to make sure that it doesn't stay elevated because if that happens she runs the risk of brain damage. I wish I could think of something else. I do know that you can safely give extra regular Keppra but given that Molly is on XR I wouldn't know how many mgs. I know 250 should be safe.
Keep us posted.
Lynne

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Chris,

I'm not familiar with your pup's history, is there a reason she's not on either Pb or Kbr? I know zonisamide and Keppra don't have the side effects, but they're not working for her. As many seizures as she's had in the last couple of days is extraordinarily dangerous. I feel for you, fighting this battle is so danged hard.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:49 am

hi everyone,

last seizure was today at 4:55 am, ... at 11:30 am I gave her a keppra xr but not the zonisamide ... ex stopped in to check on her at my mid shift with nothing special to report, and when I came home still no signs of any more seizures ...

but her behavior is still sooo strange it's so hard to tell anything when she's not herself ... so don't know what to expect ... but I didn't have any laundry or clean-up to do when I got home from work ...

thank you shilohsmom for your prayers ...

Lynne ... the vet has made it clear she is available in an emergency ... for a huge fee ... so I assume, probably in error, that if she's in the area I could bring her in for a 'stay" at her office and her emergency medical care ... but beyond that ... well, anyway ... I'll talk to her tues. during normal hours and go from there ... I've been able to keep her temp down as best as possible but I know that she's been over-heated at time's ... I did give her a 250 mg regular keppra two time's at the mid point between the keppra xr doses's but it didn't seem to make much difference ... but who know's if I hadn't gave it to her it might have been worse ...

Vivian, the only reason she's not already on pb and /or kbr is when we 1st decided to go down the med's road I asked "isn't there anything we can try beside pb and kbr because of the side effect's ... so I guess you could say I blew it ...

maybe if I'd of just had her put on pb and/or kbr to begin with none of this would happened ... maybe if I hadn't asked for the zonisamide she'd still be having 3 or 4 single mild spaced out seizure's every 10/11 days on keppra xr ... or 3 to 4 single mild spaced out seizure's every 14 day's on regular keppra if we hadn't tried the keppra xr ... I don't know ...

what I do know is after the last 3 days I'm all up for trying anything else that might work cause this isn't ... unless I'm just being unreasonable in thinking something should give us more than a 14 day widow of seizure-free time between episodes ... even if the episode's are just 3 or 4 mild spaced out seizure's and not cluster's back to back ...

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:04 am

Chris,

It's not too late to introduce Pb, you have to get her on something that will give her seizure control because as you know, the other two meds aren't doing much for her. Pb won't break the bank, those other two meds are far more expensive for you. Call your vet when she's in her office and tell her that you need a loading dose of Pb to get your girl started. You may even be able to wean her off one of the other drugs, if they're not helping much it will help your wallet at least. The more your girl seizes the more she's going to seize.

As for side effects; yes, Pb has them, but look what the pup is going thru with all of the seizures she's having. My vet told me to 'white knuckle' it for the first month and by then the dogs have usually adjusted to the Pb and it's not so bad.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:49 am

Hi Chris,
I agree with Vivian. I know the idea of Pb is scary and for some dogs it's justified, but there are ways to make sure that if there is a problem (liver issues), they will be caught early. When we first started Jake on Pb, I was a mess. One of the reasons was because we'd just buried a very dear friend who died from brain cancer, and I helped take care of her for the last three months. She was on Pb. It was like a nightmare coming back. Plus, I'd read all of the side effects, and scared that Jake would only live for a few years. Our vet was so helpful and reassured me over and over. Why she didn't think I was nuts I don't know. Yes, there are still times when I'm giving it that I'm still scared, but when he seizes, and I'm able to give him that extra dose and he calms down, I'm grateful for it. Jake was dopey for a few weeks when we first started it, but leveled out. When he was on Pb only, it didn't seem to do much, but when we added Keppra, it suddenly started to help. As you've heard so many times, each dog is different. Vivian is right, you need to get these clusters under control if you can because of kindling. Stop beating yourself up with "if I had's" etc. You were doing the best you could for Molly, and for the most without much support from your vet. You should be able to call once and not be expected to pay a huge fee for support in an emergency. She knows Molly now.
I'm glad things have settled down.

Lynne

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 am

Lynne is correct...we're all poking around in the dark not knowing how the pups will respond to the meds the vets want to give them. Each dog is different and sometimes they do great for awhile then we have to tweak or try something else. It's no fun for us and it's definitely no fun for them, but we as their moms and dads have to keep going to make sure they get a fair chance at life. It hurts, no denying that, but this is the hand that was dealt them and we have to keep going for their sake.

Try the Pb Lynne, you never know, it might be what your babe needs.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009